You fickle fair weather Florida fans.

Yes- those poor idealists who signed with the tiny market Boston Red Sox for major league minimum!

Boo hoo.

They signed with the second richest club in the major leagues for a tiny discount. How noble!

As a transplanted Rays fan, I am eagerly watching or listening to the games on the radio. As was said upthread, I went to as many of the games as I could when I lived in St Pete. That was usually about 10 each season. I would also look at some of the away games on TV just to see how badly they could lose.

I like seeing them win now. Will I be as committed to watching the games next year if they are losing, probibly not. Not that I am a fair weather fan, it is that the Cowboys get all the press and TV coverage even during the baseball season.

Really, I know they won’t win the World Series, or even the AL pennant, but then again, I know I won’t win the lottery this week, but I buy my ticket each week.

SSG Schwartz

On reflection, I was too hard on Arroyo, Lowell and players in general, though I think my basic point is sound.

It’s absolutely TRUE that your favorite ballplayer doesn’t know or care who you are, that he feels no loyalty of any kind to you, and would gladly abandon you for a bigger paycheck elsewhere. But that hardly makes ballplayers unique. The same is true of MOST people.

Harrison Ford doesn’t know or care who I am, and feels no obligation toward me.
Neither does Mark Knopfler or Roddy Doyle.

The executive chefs at my favorite restaurants don’t know who I am, and would take better paying jobs in another city if offer came along.

Come to think of it, I enjoy working where I do… but I feel no deep emotional bond to my employers or the people who rely on my services, and I would also leave if I got a much better offer.

The difference is, people form silly emotional bonds with athletes. Nobody expects loyalty from a chef or an actor. Nobody will scream “traitor” if their favorite chef goes to another restaurant.

Then again, nobody gives that chef a standing ovation or asks for his autograph.

Hating an athlete is silly. But so is loving him. If you enjoy watching him perform, pay to see him and have a great time. But never get emotionally invested in someone who will never, ever love you back.