You have the munchies, but you're not hungry; what do you eat?

A lot of the shows I DVR are food-related; cooking shows, eating shows, etc. Invariably, even if I’ve eaten recently, watching them makes me hungry! Or, at least whets my appetite (appetite and hunger are two different things, imho). So I need something to munch when I have an appetite, but I’m not physically hungry.

Lately, it’s been a pickle plate; three dill pickle spears (must be Claussen) and three sweet gherkins; these must be eaten in a pattern: dill, sweet, dill, sweet, dill, sweet. No, I’m not OCD, why would you ask? I’m just a creature of habit! :wink:

Occasionally, especially if it’s just before bed time and I think I may wake up hungry in the middle of the night, it’s a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats (or the generic equivalent thereof) with some 2% milk.

What’s your go-to “I want to eat something but I’m not hungry” food?

Veggies. At least I know I am not filling myself up with junk food, and the satisfying crunchcrunchcrunch generally takes care of it. Celery and broccoli are my favorites.

Or a piece of gum.

Nothing. I only eat when I’m hungry, I’m not really one for grazing as it were. My wife eats popcorn sometimes less than 20 minutes after dinner because she likes eating while watching TV, but I just don’t understand eating for eatings sake.

A glass of water.

A carrot or a flavored rice cake (either white cheddar or caramel), or a cup of tea.

Single handful of roasted, unsalted peanuts or almonds.

You have the munchies, but you’re not hungry; what do you eat?

If I have the munchies, aren’t I, by definition, hungry?

Well, the two things may be identical for you, but for a lot of people, no. Hunger is a physical thing, meaning your body needs fuel, and is asking for it. Appetite, or having the munchies, is more psychological; it’s a matter of wanting to eat something that tastes good/is satisfying in texture. Have you ever maybe been recovering from an illness, and your belly is saying “Empty; feed me”, while your brain is saying “Ooooh, eating’s not a good idea right now”? That would be a case of hunger without appetite. OTOH, if you’ve ever had a satisfying meal, but then, faced with a particularly tempting dessert, decided maybe you had a little more room in your tummy, that would be a case of having appetite without hunger. Certainly, there’s often overlap. But they are not one and the same thing for most people.

"Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s’mores, man!

Also celery, grape jelly, Cap’n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas-- we need two BIG pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, a whole lotta water, and… Funyuns."

This.

Or raw cauliflower.

Or Blue Diamond Wasabi & Soy Almonds.

This.

I eat when I’m hungry and that’s it.

And maybe that’s why I’m skinny. :wink:

Some of you sound like real barrels of laughs.:stuck_out_tongue:

Peanuts in the shell for me. Even more satisfying when I chuck the shells on the floor. (Hey my house, my mess to clean).

Heat fat free, non-sterilized milk, just below boiling. Add sweetener. Pour in milk foaming device thingy, and foam it up. A texture like a nice dessert, but hardly any calories, and good protein and calcium.

Some chedder cheese squares.

Decaf tea if it’s really mild.

If it’s moderate, popcorn. Pile on the Penzey’s cheese sprinkle! Or fruit.

If it’s severe, raw veggies and dip or hummus and w.w. pita or unsalted cashews.

Mindless munching is rough for me; I’ve improved quite a bit.

Some mixed roasted nuts, or some jerky and a cheese stick.

For me? No.
Being hungry and wanting to eat something are entirely unconnected. (Hunger is physical, wanting to eat is mental/emotional) This is why I’m fat.

Unfortunately, usually, I go for cheese. I’m trying to make changes to something less caloric.

Bagels. Warm toasty bagels with lots of butter. I’ll be right back…

Popcorn or interesting pickles.

Pastries or ice cream with sunflower seeds on it.