You must change your work hours. Earlier or later by one hour.

You can pick, but you have to change–either come in one hour earlier, put in your time, and leave one hour earlier. Or, come in one hour later, work, leave one hour later.

Which would you choose?

For me, I work 7:30am to 4:00pm. I’d go for the 6:30am to 3:00pm shift. I hate rush hour, and the earlier hours would make getting to and from work a breeze. The earlier waking time wouldn’t bother me since I usually wake up well before the alarm goes off anyway.

What would you do, and why?

One hour later.

I am not a morning person.

The only reason I go 8:30-5:30 is because everyone else in my office seems to be on something resembling that, and if I showed up at 7:30 and left at 4:30, they’d look at me like I was some kind of slacker.

Left to my own devices, I’m a 7:30-4:30 kind of guy.

I wake up at 4:30AM; my commute puts me at my desk a little after 7:00. I get off work at 4:30 and am home a little after 6:00PM.

But you know what? I’m a morning person and I value my evenings.

So put me down for an hour earlier.

Seconded. Although I’d have to pick one hour earlier so I could still make rugby practice :frowning:

Ditto. That extra hour of sleep would be really nice.

I just changed my hours from 8:30-5:30 to 7:30-5:30.

I’m not much of a morning person, but a class I wanted to take this semester was only available from 7:30 AM - 12:30 PM, so when I asked my manager if I could have those mornings (one day a week) off, I offered to make up the time during the rest of the week. I figured getting up early everyday would get my hours in at work, and guarantee I get to the school on time on class day. So far so good.

To answer the OP though I’d go in later and get out later if school weren’t a factor. I’m at a point in my life now where I only have to get up in the morning to get myself off to work (no more kids in the house) and I only have to come home to do what I please (no more kids in the house.) That extra hour in bed (not necessarily sleeping) would be very nice.

Put me down for an hour later. In fact, lets make it two hours! I would love to go in to work around 10 AM.

I’m definitely with the crowd who values the extra time in the afternoon. I am a morning person, and I’d be used to getting up earlier within a week pretty easily. The idea of getting to come home in daylight throughout the entire year, missing the heaviest evening commute, and being able to run errands after work that normally have to wait until the weekend appeals to me more than I could put into words. I go in at 8 now, but I’d gladly show up at 6 if I could go home at 2.

I’d love the earlier hours. There are so many things I have to go to in the evenings that I’m always running late for that I would love to be able to attend like a normal person. My hours right now are either 9-5:30 or 11-7:30, so going in an hour earlier would be no problem, and then I could even get to those specialty stores that close by 6 pm (I’m talking about you, Knitting Garden!)

One hour earlier. I’m not a morning person at all, so seven in the morning isn’t going to be worse than eight, and nine wouldn’t be any better than either so I may as well work earlier. I’d rather be free earlier in the afternoon when there are things to do and fewer people doing them.

I’d love to do it earlier, since I’m a morning person. But my team works 9-10 hours M-Th and “the leftovers” on Friday, partly to avoid rush hour… if I left one hour earlier, I’d run into the rush of the morning-only people who finish at 3pm.

So, what I’d really, really like to do is move to 3 hours earlier… it’s not like I’m not up early enough…

I don’t work regular hours anyway, just so long as I’m in office for a reasonable portion of the day, and get my work done (which I’m exactly not doing now…), it’s OK. Right now I get in by 8:30 in the morning, and 2 days a week I’m out at 4 PM, the other 3 I stay as long as required (generally around 7 PM or so)

But as a theoretical question, if I has to choose whether to get to work at 7:30 or 9:30? 9:30, hands down. It’s not so much that I’m “not a mornings’ person,” I get up before 7 everyday no problem *, but left to my own devices I’d love another 30 minutes or an hour or so of sleep.

• Of course, with 3 school-age kids, it’s all kind of moot anyway. Rugrats gotta be at school at 8 :rolleyes:

I work online customer service, at a centre which is open 24 hours. I just had my shift switched to two hours earlier - from 4:00 pm to 12:30 am to 2:00 pm to 10:30 pm. This was not done as a matter of convenience, but it was to help my metrics. I have trouble keeping my productivity stats up where they should be.

I’d take another hour earlier if I could. That would really help my metrics, plus it would really help me have a life!

Definitely on hour later. I don’t function well in the mornings AT ALL. I usually have stuff do do and people to see downtown after work, so leaving one hour later wouldn’t really make a difference since I wouldn’t be going home anyway.

Of course, this is only valid at this time, when I am a single university student with a part-time job in the center of the city.

Definitely one hour earlier. My best hours are early in the day. Plus, you have time at the other end of the day to make phone calls, schedule appts, have worker-bees come in to fix stuff, etc. It’s just more productive for my life.

I’ve already done this, and I am on an hour earlier. (i start at 8 and finish at 4:30 instead of staring at 9 and finishing at 5:30)

When I got my new job last spring, I made such a change – a much longer commute and a slightly earlier starting time means I have to get up at 6 instead of 7:30. I couldn’t possibly get up any earlier than that – someone above said something abouf “valuing his or her evening” – but I lose evening time by having to go to bed so damn early.

I work 12 hour shifts, from 7:30 p.m to 7:30 a.m. I’d switch to an hour earlier; that would give me a little extra time to get out of here and get the mini-Marli picked up from wherever she spent the night and dropped off at school by 8:15.

I get up around 4:00, give or take 20 minutes. I lose a lot of my evening because of it. I just don’t have the energy I used to. It’s a late night for me if I make it to 9:00.