You see a movie that you haven't seen since you were a kid...

I just bought a couple of DVDs of an Anime series I used to watch when I was 10 years old, and have never seen since. It was called “Star Blazers”. It WAS as good as I remembered, even though a) the animation is crude by modern standards, b) I can now spot plot holes a mile wide that I didn’t notice before, and c) the music is exactly the same in every episode, which is kind of annoying when you’re watching one right after the other.

Lent the DVDs to a couple of rabid anime fans I know. Don’t expect to get them back any time soon.

Hmmm, it varies for me. I still love Labyrinth and the effects have really held up nicely, considering when it was made. Goonies is still really cool. I remembered Highlander being good (I was about 13 when I saw it) and just watched it recently and…ugh, what a BAD movie.

“The Lone Ranger”. Man, what a great movie then and now. Cheesy, yes, but all the classic elements of good and evil.

Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, Labyrinth, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory are still great movies from when I was a kid. So is The Land Before Time (the first one).

Watched The Care Bears Movie a few months ago and almost fell asleep. Then again, I loved the movie when I was four or five.

Recently saw The Great Race, Bringing Up Baby, The Vikings, and Planet of the Apes (Heston version), none of which I had seen in 20+ years. Amazingly, I enjoyed all of them immensely.

The Angry Red Planet. I first saw it on a local Saturday Night horror movie show (hosted by “Robin Graves”, no less). It scared the crap out of me. I was probably 8 or 9. Saw it again a couple of years ago.

EGAD! What utter crap! Definitely MST3K material.

However, the astronaut getting absorbed by the “giant” amoeba was kinda cool.

Bruce_Daddy Sally Ann Howe… CCBB is one of my all time favorites. When I was 10 or so I knew all the lyrics to the soundtrack.

Fiddler on the Roof is one of the ones I saw when I was too young to understand the Jewish/Russian conflicts. I went to the library afterwards and read the stories it was based on and began to understand it so much better. Now that I am older I can appreciate it all the more.

Most of Disney’s stuff holds up rather well for me, except I don’t care for Bambi its too cloying and I hate being hit over the head with a moral. Snow White just freakin annoys me. Doormat women make me want to go on a rampage.:smiley:

Don’t leave us hanging, man! Was she still hot or not?

When I was really young I loved My Little Pony and The Care Bears, so naturally enough I loved the movies back then too.

About a year ago while looking through Ebay I found a VCD of the My Little Pony movie, I bought it and I can still say that I love that movie… that might be a bit sad though, 21 year old girl watchin my little pony movies

As for The Care Bears, I found that on video in a video shop and bought it but I remembered it better then it actually was… granted my 6 and 2 year old nieces love it now.

The rolly eyes thing was meant as "God, what a sheltered little boy I was. And now?. . . :dubious:

The Last Unicorn loved it, and saw it just the other day. Still a very good movie.

Even when I was a kid I thought Dick van Dykes children in Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang were brats and time hasn’t dimmed that opinion, in fact it’s been reinforced.

Another thing about the movie was that I recalled the opening sequence, with Chitty racing to be quite short, but when I caught it on Tv the other night, it went on and on and on and on and on.

I had a similar experience with Robotech. (Save for the last bit. The music was somewhat repetative, but there were enough different themes that it didn’t get too annoying. But I think Ulpio Minuchi listens to too much John Williams - compare the main theme to the Superman theme, or Roy’s theme to the Imperial March.) And that has the added fun of spotting the ‘joins’ of the series.

But I still love the series. I love the stories. I love the characters. I love the mecha. It’s brilliant, despite (and in a few cases because of) its flaws.

Star Wars.

I just loved it when it came out.

When the next series was brought out, I discovered Mr.Ujest had lived in a cave and never seen any of the Star Wars movies.

Aghast, I rented all three and just sat there going, " Princess Leia, WTF? You are a Princess, stop waiting to be told what to do and order a bunch around." Han, however, I’d bang in a heart beat ( still) and the story line is good and the special effects still good, though tame and lame compared to what is out there today.

I hated ET the first time around and I’m pleased to see that I am not alone in this crap fest.

Now movies that are sheer brillant: Pee Wee’s Big Adventure The Man from Snowy River, Return to Snowy River (both visually and storyline) and the **The Marx Brothers ** (espcially the Marx Brothers) just get better with every viewing.

Oh, and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom* and The Last Crusade are just plain classics. The middle one is tolerable, but pales.

I saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory on TV. It was as great as I remembered. It inspired me to go see a movie that I remembered as being incredibly funny as a kid, The Mad Adventures of Rabbi Jacob – what a disappointment.

As a kid probably precludes this, but I saw ‘A Clockwork Orange’ and ‘Straw Dogs’ as a teenager and thought they were great. I have seen them recently and found them repulsive, violent and without a redeeming feature.

Condorman!

I saw this as a teen, and loved it. I wasn’t very discerning as a teen.

I saw it again about 10 years later, fully expecting it to be awful tripe. But it wasn’t. I actually really enjoyed it! It’s not award winning, and I don’t recommend it to anybody, but it held its own admirably, and I find it very entertaining!

I wonder if it’ll be released on DVD…

I saw this as a kid, and I seem to see it periodicxally, so I don’t have the experience cited in this post.

Iy may be an awful movie, but it jas one especially redeeming point – the way they get the “space ameoba” off the one astronaut’s arm. It’s — logical! It makes sense. It’s Good Science Fiction. What the hell is it doing in this movie?
The premise: Giant Martian Space Amoeba eats one astronaut. Other astronaut tries to save him, ends up with space amoeba all over his arm. He’s pulled away, but still has the stuff on his arm. He passes out, gets taken back to Earth.

You all know how this would play out in your typical B-movie. The ameoba eats him on the way, leaving a little Blob to menace the Earth. Or, if they save the astronaut, it’s by using Magic Chemical X that kills the nasty ol’ Space Ameoba.

But in this movie, they suggested a Real solution. They placed a frersh piece of tissue near the arm. Then they attached electrodes to the astronaut’s arm and kept giving him mild electric shocks. The Space Amoeba didn;t like this, and eventually moved off the arm and onto the non-shocking tissue.

You immediately have the sense that this would work. And it doesn’t require gobbledegook doublespeak, or Horrible Contaminations, or anything. My theory: The screewriters read about something like this in Scientific American or Science News or something, and thought it would be a cute solution. And it was. Something we need more of.

I just saw The Goonies for the first time in a bajillion years, and thought it was fantastic. A non-stop adventure with great action scenes, hilarious bad guys and a loveable gang of misfits banding together to beat them. Great fun, if a little sentimental at times. Still, it’s all about buddies, friendship, and being good to each other, so the heart was genuinely warmed.

Good performances from Sean Astin and Martha Plimpton, but the star of the show was Chunk. Man, that kid was incredible! The scene where the bad guys made him tell them “everything” had me pissing myself.

The only thing that grated this time was Mikey’s attempts to make some connection with “One Eyed Willy” (snicker), the pirate who had left the treasure oh-so many years ago. Oh god kid, just shut up and find the treasure!

I think I’ll have to go and rent The Dark Crystal. Haven’t seen that in years, and I always loved it.