You see a movie that you haven't seen since you were a kid...

Ever have the experience of seeing a movie for the first time in years that you haven’t seen as a kid, and it turns out to be actually better than you remembered it?

Most movies in this category don’t hold up for me. I find all kinds of problems, flaws, mistakes, cheesy acting, and bad writing.

But earlier tonight I watched “The Black Stallion” on DVD for the first time in nearly twenty years. I took a gamble on buying the DVD at Wal-Mart, especially during the course of researching a post for this thread, I re-discovered that Francis Ford Coppola was the executive producer for this movie, which was released in 1979.

So tonight I saw this movie for the first time in perhaps twenty years, and damn, I thought it was actually better than I remembered. As an adult, I was able to better appreciate the pacing of the story, the stunning photograhy of the island sequence, and I kept getting the sense that a movie like this simply wouldn’t be done this way today.

Oh, and that island sequence. Nearly forty minutes of no dialogue. Half the time I kept wondering, “How in the hell did they film that scene?” Incredible.

I’m wondering if any other Dopers out there have had a similar experience where you see a movie as an adult for the first time since seeing it as a kid, and liking the movie better as an adult.

[sub]The DVD came as a two-pack with “The Black Stallion Returns”, which I’ve never seen before, and since I suspect it follows the standard Hollywood rule that the sequel is never as good as the original, I’m not sure I want to watch it.[/sub]

Of course, now that I’ve posted it, I can see various grammatical errors in the OP, but I think you can probably get the gist of it.

Sorry about that.

I have the oppisite experience, actually.

I apperantly loved E.T. when I was a kid. I can remember watching it over and over and over.

Man, what a piece of garbage movie. You couldn’t pay me to watch that thing again. Yeesh.

I hear that Shy Guy, only I’ve always hated it :wink:

I enjoy Watership Down more now than I did as a kid.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang are still as great as I remember them from years past.

Ewoks Battle for Endor has been reduced to a cute and cuddly movie.
Baron Munchausen is easier to understand now that i know what drugs are.
ThunderCats* was awesome when i was little. It’s so nonviolent to me that it makes me sick.

*not a movie, but could have been

I liked the various Pink Panther movies as a kid. Now they look soooo stupid, along with all of Blake Edwards’ movies.

I’m with shy guy on E.T. I vaguelly remember crying in the theatre when I was 7ish when ET was all white laying in the river. I tried watching it a few years ago and grew bored fairly quickly. Also the Atari game sucks as well, yet I spent days playing that game when I was a kid. Spaceballs isn’t as funny to me as it was when I was a dorky 15 year old. For some reason Carrie stills scares the crap out of me, even though its not that scary. In fact all the movies that scared me as a kid, still freak me out today. Yet movies that kids today find scary don’t scare me, but they aren’t scared by the old movies. Is there a reason for this?

I still love Naked Gun, Airplane, Spaceballs and Smorgasboard. Three Stooges is still good, the Laurel and Hardy series is fun, but I don’t enjoy it as much as I did. Actually, come to think of it, I don’t think I watched anything other than comedies as a child.

I second the sentiments on Watership Down and Airplane! (better now than when I saw them as a kid), as well as E.T. (man, that thing aged badly, and it had nothing to do with Spielberg editing out the guns).

A lot of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons are funnier now (or at least are funny in a different way) now that I know a lot of the old movies and events they refer to.

Mary Poppins still holds up for me. Same goes for Fantasia and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I think I am far more able to appreciate the incredible artwork in the two animated films more now than when I was a kid.

Dwarves. It’s supposed to be dwarves, isn’t it?

When I was a kid a watched Labyrinth again and again and again. Then the video got recorded over. It was about 14 years before I saw it again. It’s brilliant! I love it!

AGGHHH, GOD CHOKING SPITTING CAN’T BREETHE RIP TEAR KILLLLL… AVENGE HONOR OF AUDREY AND PETER DIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!!!

I really still like Homeward Bound (New) after ten years.

I saw Krakatoa,East of Java in the movies as a kid in 1969. I had a memory of all the special effects being really cool.

Forward to 2003, and I see a tape of this trainwreck! Those effects sucked even for their time. A childhood memory destroyed!

This reminded me of something. I grew up in the country and had 4 broadcast tv channels so all the movies I ever saw were the VHS tapes we rented. My very religeous parents were very strict on which tapes we could bring home, and CCBB made the cut.

Anyway, the scene where they fool the king by putting up the woman* on a box like a giant music box was burned into my 10 yr old mind, thinking that woman was the hottest thing on earth with her silky green tight top. I noticed CCBB on tv the other day and hung with it just to see if 18 years later I still thought she was hot.

:rolleyes:

*I’m too lazy for IMDB today.

I don’t think it’s necessarily garbage, but I now find it very disturbing. I can’t quite figure out why, though. I just can’t watch it anymore.

A few years ago I watched The Thing (Carpenter’s version, not Hawks’) for the first time in many years and I was blown away. When I saw it as a kid it just scared the shit out of me along with countless other creepy/slasher/horror flicks. Now I think it is a brilliant movie, one of my favorites.

As far as the opposite effect, I would have to nominate Return of the Jedi in which the origins of the Downfall were laid.

I agree about The Thing, however, I’ve always found the part with the computer calculating the odds of infection to be ridiculous.

If you’re Tolkien, it’s dwarves, and he was adamant about it. If you’re Disney, it’s dwarfs. Pretty much a tomato tomahto thing, but I’m going with The Professor.