You want to hear stupid?

I was in a hospital and the restrooms have the standard braile readable signs on them. Just the braile. Another sign says men or women.

Some idiot photocopied a brail sign for one men’s room, and taped it to the door as a replacement for the missing brail one. I don’t think a blind person can read the layer of toner on a photocopy with their fingers. I could be wrong. NOT!

You’ve got to be kidding. No way.

Must be for the physic blind dude :smiley:

It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.
Mark Twain

along similar lines, i’ve seen a braille sign on the “referees’ locker room” door in a basketball stadium. makes ya wonder.

-ellis

Phobia: Some idiot photocopied a brail sign for one men’s room, and taped it to the door as a replacement for the missing brail one. I don’t think a blind person can read the layer of toner on a photocopy with their fingers. I could be wrong. NOT!

I saw the same sort of thing for an elevator. The metal plaque that said where the elevator went (parking garage) was broken. They photocopied the broken one, along with the Braille dots.

I realize that the alphabetical letters were all that were intended to be copied. It just looked funny to see photocopied Braille characters posted.

What about the signs that say

No Dogs Allowed
Except for Seeing Eye Dogs

Usually seen on Post Office entry doors.

Oblio
I’ve been messin’ with the bees

Well, if you can’t read the sign, then either your dog belongs there, or he can pick up the “Illiterate: Write for Help” pamphlet for you! :wink:

Poly, be sure you pick one of them pamphlets for me.
Psychic
repeat
Psychic

It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.
Mark Twain

Saw that stuff in the library I used to work at. Braille signs from a laser printer. The library had just been renovated, sure, months ago. It’s been what, two years now? Maybe I should go back and see if they’ve been replaced yet. . . maybe not :slight_smile:

“I’m just too much for human existence – I should be animated.”
–Wayne Knight

What about those braille signs on drive in bank windows? Ah, I knew you’d figure that one out.

’ No Dogs Allowed
Except for Seeing Eye Dogs’

Easy. If you can see, you know you can’t bring one in. Two, if you can’t see, you know you can bring one in cause obviously when you got your canine, you were instructed you could. Same thing with hearing ear canines, of which I used to have one.

Could they have just said ‘No Dogs Allowed’ by that logic. Of course that wouldn’t allow helper canines in to lick the stamps :wink:

Oblio

handy: Yeah, my new drive-up ATM has the braille on the buttons. The first time I saw it, I was so amused that the insufficient funds message didn’t even bother me!

I don’t see why this is odd… it is there for two reasons, basically. First, to make it clear that by letting in seeing eye dogs they aren’t breaking their own policy, and second so that sighted people don’t throw a fit if a blind person comes in, yelling “hey! he can’t bring that dog in here!”

As for the braille on ATMs… why does this confuse so many people? They can’t possibly imagine a blind person in the back seat of a car, or walking up, etc? Or they think that the ATM manufacturing plant should set up a whole separate operation to specially make ATM buttons and faceplatess without braille just so drive thru banks don’t have to have braille? Come on. This isn’t hard to figure out, people.

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

‘They can’t possibly imagine a blind person in the back seat of a car,
or walking up, etc?’

Ah, but they can. But just how are they supposed to read what is on the screen when they push the buttons?

Ah, I knew that would catch ya.

OpalCat said,

One would assume that postal employees would know what their policy is and not need a reminder on the door. If you meant the customer, then point two is really just the response of the failure of some dolt to see that the service animal is not just someones pet.

My theory is that they didn’t use to have these signs and the combination of Guv’mint regulations and insensitive people doing exactly as you say in point two brought the signs about. I still think they are stupid, or at least are meant to shut up assholes that don’t know any better. Which now that I think about it, isn’t so stupid after all. I should have said here is a sign for stupid people :wink:

Oblio

In Tennessee, your Voter I.D. cardhas the following phrase printed, yes printed on the back of the card:“Instructions For The Blind Voter”.

If only could say that that was the only dumb thing State government ever did…

YO-HO, ME HEARTIES! ALL HANDS ON DECK FOR THE MUSICAL BATTLE AT SEA!

Unca Cecil took up the challenge of Braille on drive-up ATMs a while back:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/940520.html

and
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/940701.html

Never attribute to malice anything that can be attributed to stupidity.
– Unknown

Unca Cecil took up the challenge of Braille on drive-up ATMs a while back:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/940520.html

and
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/940701.html

Never attribute to malice anything that can be attributed to stupidity.
– Unknown

Washington, DC Metro bus transfers contain the following bon mots:

This transfer is not tranferrable.

Can’t top that.