Your beer of choice is?

If I’m going to drink a beer, it’s going to be Guinness. No sense fooling around with half measures. I really prefer mead, though.

Hm. I think I might have to disagree with you there. Yes, there are many damn fine German beers, and I like a lot of them. But really, unless you ONLY like lager (which the Germans do very well indeed), it’s a little overreaching to say that German beer is the best in the world.

There’s a lot of REALLY GOOD beer in the world, I’m finding. Belgians are absolutely crazy with their beer recipes*, but there is literally no imitating the Belgian styles, not even in Germany or the Czech Republic. Britain produces a lot of mellow, malty ales that are equalled nowhere. Even poor little Prohibition-ridden America is doing its fair share these days.

*“Okay, I’ve got this big vat of raw beer here, so let’s put it in the attic and leave all the windows open so we can get all the really FUNKY microorganisms that drift on the air into it. Then, let’s barrel it all up and leave it in the cellar for a couple of years, until it tastes spoiled. That other batch? Well, I don’t know. I WAS going to make a pale, clear lager out of it, but it’s pretty cloudy. maybe I should put some spices in it, and see if the guys down at the pub will drink it. What’ve we got here. Wow. we’re down to coriander and bitter orange peel. What the hell, chuck it all in.”

The only beer I drink anymore is root beer.

But time was that I would enjoy a Guinness, Harp, or Newcastle Brown Ale. I like a beer that eats like a meal. It reminds me what I’m drinking so I don’t suck down too many, like they’re water.

Of course, I used to have that same problem with Margaritas, too . . .

This is hands-down:

Sam Smith’s Winter Welcome

It’s only brewed in November, and the combination of ingredients is to be savored, like an unexpected gift.

As an added bonus, it has a quote from Will Shakespeare on the bottle: “Blessing of my heart, you brew good ale!”

Who could ask for a finer juxtaposition of an alcoholic beverage and a quote from the finest poet to wander the land?

Of course there are excellent beers in other places than Germany or Czech Rep. That was just my way of saying that IMHO the Czech Pilsner types are some of the best.

I would add, however, that there are other kinds of beer in Germany than lagers. In fact I can’t even get near many of the well-known German lagers (Beck’s, etc.) One of my favorites is Köstritzer Schwarzbier (had 2 tonight, in fact), a dark (hence black) beer, quite sweet or even nutty in taste. Hard to describe, actually.

Wow, good thought, Thill…

If any of you are interested in a wonderful Pilsner that you can get in the states, check out Pilsner Urquell. It has an almost buttery quality to it that defies accurate description.

My favorite beer? Kokanee, or what ever beer some one buys me.

:wally

Quite definitely. One of these aeons, I hope to travel in the Czech Republic myself so I can taste Pilsner that hasn’t been subjected to the rigors of shipment to the States. Another poster mentioned Pilner Urquell. This is another of the beers on the long list of my favorites. When you get a good one (not lightstruck, not abused, etc.) it’s a reveleation. Sadly, it’s rare (around here, anyway) to get a really well-treated example.

I’m afraid that my list of revelation-inducing beers is rather slanted right now to beers originating from the west coast of the US. It’s just a matter of geography; beer doesn’t travel all that well. But, if you have access and a mind, I recommend Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Anchor Liberty Ale, and Red Hook ESB. I’m sure I’ll think of others as soon as I click “submit,” but that’s what I can think of off the top of my head.

I drink Strohs. Keeps you regular.
( I’m serious. )

If being stationed in Germany taught me one thing, it is the glorious taste of german brew, especially hefe-weizen. I also enjoy Grolsch and Guinness or Newcastle Brown Ale if I can get it out of a tap.

FWIW, on a hot summer day nothing beats a cola-bier made with Becks.

Damn it, olentzero!

You commies took the writers and we let it slide. You took all the best movie producers and we let it slide. You took most of the hot Slavic chicks and we let it slide with minimal grumbling.

Not this though! You reds are not going to claim all the good beer!

Best domestic - Shyeah…right.
Best import - Negra Modelo
Best microbrew - Shiner Bock
Best artwork by a brewery (macro, micro, or otherwise) - New Belgium

Full. And cold.

None. I hate beer.
Friends would tell me," That’s because you haven’t had a GOOD beer. You should try ____________." So they’d buy me one, and I’d try it. And they all taste the same. (You beer connoiseurs and zymurgists take it easy. I appreciate that there are profound differences between beers and they way they’re brewed, and that there are subtle nuances between different styles, and that any halfway competant taster can tell the difference between a Bud Light and a German beer at fifty paces. But they all taste the same to me. So sue me.)

What’s funny is that people’s preferences don’t always seem to be based on the flavor. When Coors was impossible to get East of the Mississippi I was told that Coors was the golden ambrosial brew, and if only I tried that I would be hooked. Then I moved out to Utah and found out they laughed at Coors. Now that you can get it in the East it’s not worshipped here any more.
Yeah, say some who sympathize. Beer is overrated. But, you now, when you’ve been working out in the sun, and your throat is parched, there’s nothing as good as a nice, ice cold beer.
Nope. Even when I’ve been thirsty in the desert, beer still tastes like beer.

1. free and cold

2. if 1 not available, Bass Ale. The best all-around brew, bar none!

An aside – long ago, there was a beer called Wiedamens. Came in these cute little barrell-shaped bottels, and sold for $1.64 per six-pack, which at the time was less than Coke. Although barely more than carbonated water, it fit the college budget!

My faves are Ommegang (a belgian style beer brewed in Cooperstown, we get it here in DC) and Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing Co., which I’m suprised Jodih didn’t mention. We don’t get it in DC though.:frowning:

I’m not trying to be snooty with my esoteric beers, I jes likes em.

Another thought:

Non-mass-market/chemically manipulated Beer is often best when fresh, preferably directly from the barrel/keg and consumed close to its place of origin.
As has been said, it is very hard to get a decent Pilsner Urquell in the States, esp. since they come in those green skunk-bottles. (Another question – maybe for GQ – why DO they put beer in green bottles?)
Of course, it doesn’t matter where you “enjoy” your (U.S.) Bud, since it’s be treated and can’t get much worse, anyway.

I’m kind of partial to hefeweizen myself; Paulaner and Pyramid (a microbrew from Berkeley and Seattle) are my current favorite beers.

Fat Tire is good too, but it doesn’t seem to have broken into the San Francisco bay area market yet. I’ve only had it in Denver, Phoenix, and Austin (on tap even!).

Back home in the US - Shiner Bock
Japanese - Echigo Beer, when I can get it, otherwise Yebisu
European - Gunness, Grolsch, (both available in Osaka :)) and most anything Czech or German