Your Experience Moving to Hawai'i with a Pet

My wife and I just got back from our third trip to Maui. We really like it there, and started casually talking about moving there: finding employment, housing costs, etc. Nothing too serious. We have three dogs, too. I was wondering if anybody here has moved to Hawai’i with a pet, either before or after the reduction in quarantine length.

Long long ago (1983?). I think it was three a month quarantine and the dog came home shell-shocked and absolutely covered in vermin, which was a new experience for him, being an Alaskan dog (don’t know if he’d ever had a flea before then). A bad experience. I don’t think the dog was quite the same after the whole trauma. Not recommended but perhaps someone else has had a better experience or something more recent.

check this out:

click here

The above information is in line with what I was told at a pet store in Maui when I visited last November. Basically, it is only a five day quarantine now, so long as all of the other requirements are met.

When I was there, a friend revealed that they had tried to move their dog with them. They claimed to have done the necessary paperwork and were up-to-date on vaccines. There dog had been in quarantine for several months, and they had no idea when they could get it back.

PDF checklist for 5-day quarantine. :o

Otherwise, it’s a 120 day quarantine. :eek:

I was just looking up thata same information on a State of Hawai’i website (including ouryL’s checklist). Not too bad.

Hi,

The important thing is to start as soon as you can on the process. I get calls almost monthly from people who are leaving in a few weeks and they don’t have the microchip, the two rabies vaccines (at least 90 days apart) and the bloodtest done. There is still a 120 day quarantine- it just starts here at home (120 days after the bloodwork is done).

I’ll have to check our records, but I’m sure all three are old enough to have gotten at least two rabies shots. Two have chips. One of our girls is a special case. She’s due to go back to the breeder for a second and final litter in a few months anyway, so we’d have to wait until all that is through (and the spay) to even think about moving very far away.
Is there a backlog or anything for the bloodwork at the University of Kansas (of all places :confused:)?

No backlog that I’m aware of- its that the State of Hawaii will not allow entry into the 5 day or less program until 120 days after the lab receives the blood work. Results tend to take 2-3 weeks but the clock starts when the bloodwork gets there- usually 1-2 days by the time it gets to KSU.

We had our dog go through the ‘old style’ quarantine, twice. Each time he came out looking like a pork barrel and with more new chewy toys and whatnot than we knew what to do with! (And the second time all of the workers there greeted him by name, despite it being a couple of years later!)

The reason being, he was a very smart dog.

He knew darn well that people had a very hard time resisting a dog who looked like the ones here. So while all the other dogs would bark their silly heads off anytime they saw a person, he’d just sit there. With his biiiiig brown eyes. And fluffy white fur. And meebe just kinda look at you. And once you were close enough, he’d sigh, and play the ‘I’m just a poor, lonely, depressed doggie whose owners never ever ever visit me’ part to the hilt.

Hook, line, sinker.

If you do end up having the dogs in the longer quarantine, be sure to visit them frequently: they’re going to be upset enough about the move as it is and then add in suddenly not seeing their humans every day? Not all pets can adjust to such a sudden and major change.

<< What do you get if you cross a tse-tse fly with a mountain climber? Undefined. A tse-tse fly is a vector and a mountain climber is a scalar. >>

Just don’t try to bring your pet snake!

My youngest son lives in Hawaii, was shipped there by the Navy in February. We’ve been keeping his basenji while he goes through the process of shipping the dog to Hawaii.

It’s been a fairly involved process. Odell (the dog) had to be thoroughly examined by a veterinarian in California, get shots and tags, and all of that recorded on some papers. Aaron then brought Odell to Colorado, where he has been in our custody ever since. I believe he’s been in to see a vet at least once since then, and I have to take him back for a final check next week. There is paperwork involved on both ends, but Aaron has taken care of most of that in Honolulu. He’ll take Odell to Hawaii the Tuesday after Labor Day weekend.

The requirements and paperwork are reasonable, but as has already been pointed out, get started early.

There are things they don’t tell you unless you ask. For one thing, the animal receiving station in Honolulu closes at 8 p.m., so if your flight gets in after 8:00 (as our son’s will) you have to leave the dog until the next morning. Understand that the dogs will be sedated for the flight, they’ll travel in the cargo hold, and its a very long flight to Hawaii.

Good luck to you and your pooches.