Your favorite Christmas Song/Album

OK, OK,
I know this is a bit early to start caroling and all but I couldn’t help getting a little swept up in all the Christmas hoo-ha this weekend.

Naturally, I’ll start.
Favorite album: Vince Guaraldi’s A Charlie Brown Chistmas (Close second - Nat King Cole’s The Christmas Song CD)

As for a favorite song, Bing Crosby’s I’ll Be Home for Christmas always kinda gets to me.

But I’m just kind of a sap that way.

How about you?

For those of you who know me: Yeah…guess what:

Sacred by Gypsy Soul. Cilette Swan does an incredible version of “Silent Night” and she and Roman Morykit do it up on “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.”

If anyone is wondering what all the fuss is about, you can check out GS here.

“Please Come Home For Christmas”, by Don Henley is the one I look forward to the most. Boyz II Men had a very nice a capella “Silent Night”… and as much as I despise Mariah Carey, her “All I Want For Christmas Is You” makes me want to run around the house dancing my fool head off.

For the more classic Christmas songs, my mom and I really like the Home Alone soundtrack. I’m trying to get it for her on eBay.

I’m not the hugest rap fan, but I really enjoyed Run-DMC’s “Christmas In Hollis.”

On the non-serious side, Weird Al’s “Christmas At Ground Zero” is pretty excellent.

The Chieftains “Bells of Dublin” is my favorite album hands down, with “The Rebel Jesus” as my favorite song. On the traditional side, I love “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” though I’d be hard pressed to select a specific version.

As a kid, I was quite fond of the Beach Boys Christmas album, with a particular affection for their version of “We Three Kings”. It is now my comedy favorite–edging out “Grandma Got Run Over By the Raindeer” mostly because I once took it seriously. The Beach Boy rendition of " We Three Kings", for those who haven’t heard it, confirms that the boys were on drugs–apparently heavy duty downers. It resembles a funeral dirge, but more mournful. A true Christmas classic.

That should be “Reindeer”. Either that, or I was referring to Raymond’s pet caribou.

Kallessa, I have the Chieftains Christmas album too! It is very good.

I grew up with my dad’s Christmas music, which leaned heavily towards Classical. He had the best collection, and he’d play Christmas music A LOT during the season. I still get choked up when I hear some of “his” Christmas music. (He died a while back, and we all miss him, especially around the holidays.)

So, influenced by my dad, some of my favorite Christmas albums are:

Handel’s Messiah (This one has to be included!)
Anything Christmasy from The Robert Shaw Chorale.
The Clancy Brothers Christmas album. I think it is out of print, and I don’t know the exact title, but it is marvelous.
Joan Baez - “Noel” (This is gorgeous!)

Favourite songs… “We Three Kings” (with all the verses) and “Little Town of Bethlehem”.

Favourite album… probably the Charlie Brown Christmas one, although I don’t have it myself. I think I’ll get a copy, actually.

Favorite Song: F$%# Christmas by Fear. 45 seconds of pure holiday cheer.

Everyone right now run out and get a copy of Broadway Christmas. It just doesn’t get any better. It has some great traditional tunes, including all three verses of “We Need a Little Christmas.” The best song is also my favorite carol. “I Don’t Remember Christmas.”

I was standing in the bedroom, when it suddently came clear.
That at last I don’t remember that at one time you were here
All the stuff that use to haunt me, like your robe behind the door.
For the first time I don’t notice that they’re not there anymore.

I do not remember summer, I do not remember fall.
So it’s possible December never happened after all.
Did we trim the tree together? I can’t get the image through.
Cause I don’t remember Christmas and I don’t remember you!

Later on to my astonishment I did not feel a tug
When I walked into the living room and saw that sheepskin rug.
All those pesty little echoes, they’re all gone without a trace.
It was good to know I could grown unaccustomed to your face.
Cause I don’t remember Easter or the rainy day we meet.
Did we really have some good times? Tell me, I forget.
Did I really say I need you? No, the words just don’t ring true.
Cause I don’t remember Christmas, and I don’t remember you.

If she wants to leave you, well let her says a practical voice in my head.
Any sensible man would forget her, forget me.

So Thanksgiving never happened, and Bermuda is a blur.
And I’m not the type to waste time over things that never were.
Were you really my obsession till our ship of pleasure sank.
No, I guess I must have dreamt you, cause the whole year is a blank.
And I don’t remember crying, and I can’t recall your touch.
Cause I’d never be so stupid as to open up that much.
Did I really say I love you? No the words just don’t ring true.
Cause I don’t remember wanting and I don’t remember caring.
I do not remember April and I don’t remember Tuesdays.
I do not remember Christmas, I do not remember Christmas
and I don’t remember you.

I don’t see what this doesn’t appear on more Christmas CDS.

Johnny Mathis’ “Winter Wonderland”.

I thoroughly despise any version of “Silent Night”.

I do have a copy of the John Denver and the Muppets “A Christmas Together” on cd, though.

This may be a little obscure, but I like the song “Styrosnow” by “The Eraserheads.”

And sad as it may be, you really can’t beat “White Christmas.”

The Night Santa Went Crazy by Weird Al.

::duck&run::

U2 did “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” and it’s become one of my favorites. It was on a charity christmas album a few years ago (like 1989) and I haven’t been able to find it. But it gets radio airplay, so I get to hear it once a year or so…

Also, who can NOT like “Blue Christmas” by Elvis? “I’ll-huh-have-huh-a-huh-bluuuuuuuue-huh-Christmas, huh-with-huh-hout youuuuuuuuuuuuu…” Thangyew, thangyew verruh much…

Favorite angry Christmas song? “I Will Be Hating You for Christmas” by Everclear. Favorite comedy song? “Holy Night” from South Park. Cartman keeps getting cattleprodded whenever he gets the words wrong.

But the song that brings me close to tears is Judy Garland’s “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.” Poor Jude.

I have two favorites:[list=1][li]White Christmas[/li]Bing Crosby

I heard this album every year while I was growing up. It ain’t Christmas until I hear Bing singing Silent Night and Mele-kelekelaka.

[li]Dr. Demento Presents The Greatest Christmas Novelty CD Of All Time[/li](Various artists

I’ve been enthralled by Christmas novelty music since I heard my first Chipmunks Christmas album.[/list=1]

~~Baloo

Hrm…let’s see.

“Christmas in Hollis” - Run DMC
“The Christmas Song” - Dave Matthews
“Christmas at Ground Zero” - Weird Al

And…

“Blue Christmas” - Elvis Presley. (I feel so dirty now…)

Guess my favorite song is Nat King Cole’s “The Christmas Song”.

Favorite store-bought CD is Rhino Records’ Christmas Classics. (I love The Drifters doing White Christmas)

My new favorite CD is the 3 CD set I just burned courtesy of Napster and picking the favorites off my own collection of Christmas CDs.

All-time favorite christmas song:

Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, by Bruce Springsteen

Favorite albums:

The Little Drummer Boy: This is an old family favorite, one of those records sold in the late 70s/early 80s. It says it’s by “Don Janse and his 60 voice children’s chorus” whoever that is. It’s got a picture of a little drummer boy at night on the cover. Great album.

Next would be a Perry Como christmas album that has a picture of him on the front. I can’t remember what it’s called, but it has all the favorites on there.

Harry Connick Jr’s christmas album is excellent. I especially love his version of Ave Maria.

Finally, I can’t go without my Vienna Boy’s Choir christmas album. I’m a christmas music freak. I have about 30 different christmas albums on vinyl, tape and CD. I started listening about a month ago…

:wink:

I’ll second that. What a voice she had.