Your favorite comfort food?

Mashed potatoes

Candy-usually Snickers or Mars

Ice cream-mint chocolate chip or chocolate chip cookie dough. I’m in the the process of adding pistacio to the list.

Quarter Pounders with Cheese

Once, long ago, Baskin Robbins had Peppermint Ice Cream.

They still do, don’t they? Or maybe it’s just around Christmastime. Peppermint ice cream goooooood.

Banana nut bread is awesome comfort food. As are french fries with bacon and cheese. And pancakes. And homemade chocolate chip cookies. And deep-dish pizza. And I’m hungry now…

When I have been out partying all night and find myself in some crappy all night dinner at six the next morning I always go with buttered toast with white pepper gravy. When I am just looking for a comfort food it has to be guacamole. Not just any guacamole though, it has to be made fresh at home. You can’t just go out and buy some.

Hate to tell you this but my recipe includes meat. It could be made without the meat and would still taste pretty good.

Anniversary 12 Cheese Lasagna
You hold in your hands the most powerful and revered lasagna recipe known to man. Around 250 people have enjoyed this Italian favorite made by yours truly. Each year it is made for my wife and enjoyed by friends and family members on that one day each year. Now the recipe it being made available to the public. When I make my lasagna I don’t measure anything so most measurements are by estimates. Be creative and experiment with different amounts or add other ingredients not listed to your taste preferences. With all the possible alternatives, this recipe can be used for years and you may never serve the same lasagna twice.

In order for this lasagna to be properly prepared, a pan of at least 4” deep in needed. I found a 13” x 9” pan that is 4” deep at a restaurant supply store. Attempting to make this in anything shallower may not work.

The Sauce.
1 lb. Ground beef
1 lb. Ground pork
1 small or ½ large onion finely chopped I prefer sweet onions
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 26 oz. Jar spaghetti sauce Most flavors work well.
1 14½ oz. Can chopped tomatoes, drained. Italian style is best.
1 15 oz. Can tomato paste

Brown the meats in a large covered pan. Drain off all grease. Add the onions and garlic and cook till the onions are tender. Add sauce, drained tomatoes and the tomato paste. Season with commercial Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Other items that can be added include chopped pepperoni, sliced or chopped black olives, bell peppers or mushrooms. Liquid flavoring such a wine may be used sparingly; you want a very thick sauce.
Let the sauce simmer on medium low stirring occasionally.

The Noodles.
1 lb. Box lasagna noodles or you can use homemade noodle. You will need about 20 12 x 2 inch noodles. I have made my own noodles using beet, carrot or V8 juice, and spinach. Adds color to the lasagna and even more flavor, like it needs it.

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Adding a few splashes of olive or vegetable oil will help the noodles from sticking. I also like to add about a ¼ cup of garlic-flavored vinegar to the water. Cook the noodles stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Do not over cook the noodles; they will be cooked more later. When done, strain in colander and rinse in cold water.

The Cheeses.
The soft cheeses
16 oz. (2 cups) shredded Mozzarella cheese
8 oz. (1 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese
4 oz. (½ cup) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 oz. (½ cup) shredded Colby cheese
4 oz. (½ cup) shredded Provolone cheese
4 oz. (½ cup) shredded Fontina cheese
2 to 4 oz. of any cheese that you desire not listed in this recipe. Some I have used with success include Havarti, Feta, Swiss, and yes, even Velveeta.
My secret here is using preshredded cheeses if possible. Saves time and some brands carry combinations (Co Jack, Italian combination, etc.) Shredding the cheese before starting anything works best.

The hard cheeses
¼ cup each shredded or grated Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago cheeses.
Purchased pre shredded or grated is the best way.

The Creamy cheeses
1 lb. Ricotta cheese
8 oz. Cream cheese, softened.
Mix together the two cheeses until mixed. A small amount of milk may be added if the mixture is too thick. Other items that can be added include depending on your preference include a small amount of any of the soft or hard cheeses, Italian seasoning, or chopped spinach.

The Assembly process.
The easiest way to assemble the lasagna is to lay out each item in the order it is layered into the pan. First should be the sauce, then the noodles, the creamy cheese mixture, then and the soft and hard cheeses.
Spoon about ½” sauce into the pan. Cover the sauce with a layer of noodles. Start at the sides and work towards the center. Spread about half creamy cheese over the noodles. Cover the creamy cheese with half the mozzarella and cheddar and any two of the other soft cheeses. Cover all of this with another layer of sauce. Then lay in another layer of noodles. Then add the rest of the soft cheeses and dust the top with each of the hard cheeses. Your 12th cheese may be added at the same time as any of the cheese layers. Cover and bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 325 degrees. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes to take a set. This will allow serving without the lasagna falling. This will serve 8. This should be enough for 12 but most will want seconds. Serve with salad and bread. I like to use French bread split length wise, drizzled with garlic butter and placed under a broiler till the bread starts to brown. To make garlic butter, chopped up a couple cloves of garlic into small pieces then smash them into a paste. Add to a quarter pound of melted butter or margarine. Enjoy.

Dark chocolate. Better yet, coffee icecream with dark chocolate flakes. Homemade - The good stuff. Not that crappy fake stuff you get in stores. :slight_smile: Mmmm…

Vegemite sandwiches.

Peanut butter cookies like my grandma used to make. (Creamy peanut butter only, no stress-inducing chunks.) With the criss-crossed fork marks in the tops & sprinkled with sugar. Sigh.

Thanks ** racer72 **. Now I don’t have to lead a charge from New Jersey to Washington.

As soon as I figure out the no-meat angle, I’ll be having a “12-cheese” party for my veggie friends. 12 cheeses, 12 breads, and 12 crackers for appetizers; 12-cheese lasagna for main course; and 12 cheeses and 12 fruits for dessert. Jeez, I suddenly feel like Jesus at the Last Supper. Too bad I don’t have 12 disciples.