Your favorite songs, poems, movies, etc, about doing nothing, being nothing...

…and aspiring to same.

Please link to or quote content to ensure strict inclusion criteria are met.

Please viciously critique others’ submissions so wannabe losers are weeded out.

Mine

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

Yep, that Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, is pretty bleak. Made all the more so by the fact he’s in ‘Frisco, where he’s probably paying upwards from $2500 a month for the dock-sittin’ space (it’s ocean view).

But he does mention “morning sun,” which has long been invoked as a metophor of hope for better things to come (eg.).

So, sorry. You’re a winner.

You’re not a loser.

Loser by Beck. A meaningless collage of absurdist imagery evocative of white trash stereotypes.

And it gets double-minus points for being ironic. Irony is sooo passé.

Granted, it oozes loserness and spraypaints going-nohwere images. A tried and true nihilist will find validation in the words.

However, a truly pathtic soul, grasping for any brittle straws of hope, might latch on to these lines:

“I’m a driver, I’m a winner
things are gonna’ change I can feel it”

…however inappropriately. (Remember, these losers are desperate).

So…ch, ching:

Winners: 2
Losers: 1 (at least until someone obliterates my own submission)

http://www.letssingit.com/brothers-statler-flowers-on-the-wall-bkrjxmf.html]Countin’ flowers on the wall, that don’t bother me at all

Great song, that.

By Phish off Billy Breaths (sp?)…
I’m not sure of the title, but the gist of the song is talking about everything he doesn’t want to be in life & why, & the chorus is
‘come waste your time with me, come waste your time with me…’
I love that song.

“Nothing” from “A Chorus Line.” See at http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Balcony/5705/Chorus.html (scroll down)

The “da-da-da” song. It might have meaning, but because of that wonderful volkswagon commercial it is completely tied in my mind with doing/thinking/pondering nothing.

Shmoo: Phish - Character Zer0.

amarinth: Geggy Tah - Whoever You Are.

Unless I’m misunderstanding the OP, there’s gotta be a hundred Ramones songs that fit the bill, including:

Chainsaw

Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue

I Wanna Be Sedated

Or for a change of pace, how about Black Flag and Wasted

I hope I’m not too viciously critiqued :wink:

What about Basket Case by Green Day?

Green Day, yes. But you’ve got the song wrong.

“Bite my lip and close my eyes,
Take me away to paradise.
I’m so damn bored I’m going blind
And loneliness has to suffice.
Bit my lip and close my eyes,
Slipping away to paradise.
Some say, “quit” or I’ll go blind,
But it’s just a myth.”

Well, this hasn’t really worked out the way I thought it would. See, I was intending this thread to be a place where alla us losers could rip apart other people’s pathetic attempts at being losers and expose them for the winners they really are.

The whole dubious thing was in large part an attempt to bring some levity into this thread, and try to make dwyr feel better by illustrating (a) being a loser is actually no mean feat, (b) there’s a hellava lot of us losers out here, and (c) as Stubb says in Moby Dick (the movie, that is—I never read the book, you kiddin), “A laugh is the best answer to all the strange in life.”

But then someone over there lambasted me for SPAM™ing, which I don’t quite understand, and it seems no one really picked up the threads there or here, and the whole misguided attempt has gone South, eaten the worm, puked on itself, and fallen flat.

Which is more than this loser could have hoped for (if he’d hoped for anything) (…which of couse he didn’t).

So, since you, HenrySpencer, have invited vicious critique:

Chain Saw
Based on the lines you quote, one might mistake this song as a losers’ anthem. Placing those words in context, however, as a whole the song seems more about a lost love, and not really about being a loser per se. While there’s not enough evidence to incriminate the protagonist as a winner, he doesn’t, based on this, qualify as a loser. Sorry.

Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
The foul stench of ambition permeates this diddy right from the get go. C’mon, any song with “wanna” after “I” is quite clearly not gonna cut it. You gotta try harder than that. This kid’s a winner.

I Wanna Be Sedated
MOS.

Black Flag and Wasted
Jeepers, Poindexter, I don’t know what you been smokin’, but it sure as hell ain’t been weed. This guy’s not only hopeful, but he seems quite cocksure that better days are ahead. Why not nominate this disconsolate serenade of irremediable hopelessness?

The Winners increase their lead.

Hard to beat John Sebastian and the Lovin’ Spoonful when they observed “What a Day for a Daydream,” if you ask me! It’s so sweet to “bury my face in somebody’s new-mown lawn,” though I haven’t done that since I was in short pants…

The trying loser

The boozer loser

The bus ridin’ loser

What loser fools, all.

It seems I’m such a winner that I see other winners as losers, just because they’re not quite up to my winning level ;).

Not quite enough of a winner though to avoid writing Wasted when I meant Fix Me, but there ya go.

Julie with… by Brian Eno fits the bill perfectly. See the lyrics and some reflections.

Both “Roamin’ 'Round” and “Dead in the Water” by the Supersuckers off Must’ve Been High seem to fit the bill.

Road to Nowhere by The Talking Heads
Is That All There Is? by Peggy Lee