Your favorite spoken-word segment in a song

What song can you think of that is mostly sung but also includes a really memorable spoken part? It can come at any part of the song.

By way of example:

“You know, someone said that the world’s a stage…”

Elvis - Are You Lonesome Tonight

Celebration of the Lizard The Doors.

Paradise by the Dashboard lights

Hard to beat the combination of Alice Cooper and VIncent Price! :smiley:

Vincent Price in Thriller

And of course, David Allen Coe in You Never Even Called Me by My Name

Something I’ve posted before - Born To Run by Frankie Goes To Hollywood (the spoken intro).

By way of explanation (both of what it’s about and why I like it so much):

Male voice: I’m sorry, I’ve left my card at home.
Female voice: Well you’re late as well. That’s three times on the run - if you’re late again the supervisor says we’re gonna put you on daily signing.

HAH!

The point is that it is someone on unemployment benefit going through the ritual of “signing on” - demonstrating unemployed status and availability for work. This places the song as a fantasy in a Liverpool dole office - and with that one stroke, the song makes perfect sense.

I wanna die with you Wendy on the streets tonight
In an everlasting kiss

… but of course.

j

Ok, this is a weird one. Spirit Ditch by Sparklehorse. The spoken word bit is a phone message from the lead singer’s mother.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom….

I also like Orson Welles volunteering to do an intro Reading bits of Edgar Allan Poe for later pressings of the Alan Parsons Project tales of mystery and imagination.

The Our Gang bit at the beginning of REO Speedwagon’s “Tough Guys.” That album came out when I was in college and my best friend and I would use the “Hey Romeo…” dialog when the other one was talking to a woman at a party.

Also, I don’t know if it counts, but the “Hello, CD listeners…” bit on Tom Petty’s “Full Moon Fever” album.

At the very beginning, more of an intro really but it’s always part of the song so…
“Is she really going out with him?”
New Rose, The Damned, 1977 :sunglasses:

Okay then. For an icy put down of a gold digger:
Bernadette, The Kinks

Phil Rizutto’s play-by-play in PbtDL was my first thought upon reading the title too.

I mightily impressed my kids one day when we were listening to Paula Abdul’s Opposites Attract on the radio. As a child of the 80’s, I remembered it well, and on cue, delivered the MC Skat Kat rap in the middle. For some reason, that part wasn’t in the song as played on the radio, but it still fit right in its slot. The kids thought their old Ma was just bustin’ out some rhymes, yo. :sunglasses:

Tommy The Cat! Both Les Claypool’s bit and Tom Waits’ bits are stellar. Say bebeh!

I love it because it really is a part of the song. Unlike the other one I thought of from Sublime - Smoke
Two Joints.

Which is memorable but really has nothing to do with what follows.

Tom Waits, “Emotional Weather Report”

Nobody did this better than Mary Weiss and the Shangri-Las. I started making a list of their songs with spoken interludes but it’s pretty much all of them.

Probably doesn’t count, but the Richard Burton’s narration Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of War of the Worlds

Lyle Lovett’s Here I am

This barely counts but I love it.
Zappa You’re Probably Wondering Why I’m Here.

Sung: “Roll your car and say Gee Whiz, you tore a big hole in the convertible top,
What will you tell your Mom and Pop?”

Spoken: (blurted out fast to get it over with)
“Mom I tore a big hole in the convertible”

Also Frank’s Wild Years.

Though I was raised in NY, I spent summers on Cape Cod and am pretty sure that when that came out, the Boston-area radio stations had a version where the Rizzuto bit was done by the Sox announcer (Ned Martin at the time?).

Did other cities get a special version with their local announcer?