Your favourite local/regional/ethnic foodstuffs

I wasn’t sure whether this was IMHO or MPSIMS, but it is a ‘What’s your favourite’ thread, so here goes:

Inspired by the Neffly thread…

Please describe your favourite local/regional/ethnic foodstuffs, provide links to recipes if you can find them, plus details of any variations, like maybe the special version that your mother used to make. Or maybe local variations on an otherwise well-known theme.

Thanks, I await with eager anticipation and watering mouth.

I asked about this very topic in this thread from January.
To recap my answer, for me it’s steamed crabs, Berger Cookies, Utz Potato Chips and Snowballs. No recipies, since some are commercially made items (the chips and cookies), but for steaming crabs, you need a big pot, water, beer, dry mustard and Old Bay seasoning. Steam them till they turn red. (Yes, you have to cook them while they are alive, sorry)

SPIEDIES!

Spiedies, Spiedies, and more Spiedies.

(But I’m not too sure about this one. Turkey is not one of the normal Spiedie mediums.)

As you can tell, there are lots of recipies: it’s like barbeque – fistfights are possible over who has the best recipie. And if you do not want to make your own, there are several places that have pre-bottled marinades - do a google.com seach on (what else) Spiedies.

Other requirement is a SOFT Italian roll: not hamburger, not hot dog, not hard Italian roll. Gotta be soft to be authentic.

(Common sense tip - if you are going to put marinade on already cooked meat, use a fresh batch of marinade, not what the raw meat has been marinating in!)

How about Utz “crab chips?” Potato chips with old bay seasoning. Have to second Snowballs, as well.

New Jersey diner food is great, too. I guess that you could call that regional cuisine . . .

I’m in Iowa, so it’s gotta be the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. But boy, can it be screwed up if you don’t do it right. I’ve had some that were as thin and crispy as a potato chip – some folks like 'em that way, but not me. I’ve also had them kinda thick with a tempura-like batter – those are okay but they’re kinda greasy.

You start with a pork loin – if it still has the white gristly thread, remove it. Slice the loin about an inch thick and pound it gently.

Dip the slice in flour, then in a mixture of vegetable oil beaten with an egg, then in flour again. Some folks use cracker or bread crumbs instead of the second flour dip.

Deep fry, or fry in enough hot oil to cover the meat, until the breading is golden brown.

Yum!

Well back fom my old hometown I’d have to say Cincinnati 3-way chili. Yumm that is some good stuff. Also LaRosa’s is a good place to eat in Cincinnati. Now here in Muncie blagghhh there isn’t anything really good to eat except at Greek’s Pizzaria. They make some of the absolute best pizza I have ever had.

Sopas (SO-pazh). Served in mass quantities at Holy Spirit festivals. Start by boiling a cow with garlic, onion, wine & spices until it falls apart. Add cabbage and mint. Serve over french bread.

Amazingly good.

Ahem! Another Cinit. native checkin’ in. Skyline–accept no substitutes, and that included Camp Washington Chili–but make it a 4-way. Lightly blanched onions, extra cheese and hot sauce.

Soft shell crabs from the Tidewater; as close to heaven as you’ll get. Dredged lightly in flour and gently fried in butter.

Lobster from Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. Camp on the beach, steam 'em, melt butter in a Sierra Club cup, cut a few lemons and lick your elbows.

Tidewater, etc. barbeque: cook slowly and gently until it’s sooooo tender and infused with good wood smoke; serve with a cunning vinegar and spice mop.

’Nawlins oyster po’ boys: dead-fresh baguette, tender and sweet tasting; oysters lightly dredged in flour/corn meal/spices and barely fried; popped into the baguette with crisp lettuce and a smear of mayo–simple, perfect bliss. (Okay, I add a sprinkle of Tabasco.)

**selectively Midwest[b/]: beef–the honest-to-God cornfed beef steaks that are fork-tender even cooked rare. It helps to know a farmer hand-raising some beeves but it’s simply superlative eating.

Drooling,
Veb

Many Straight Dopers have tasted my Mexican cooking and know how I feel about this classic cuisine.

The compendium below reprises all of my Mexican food submissions to the recipe thread. The link will take you to the Active Index for easy navigating. There are other excellent Mexican recipes there that are not included in my personal compendium. Be sure to peruse them too, as many are quite authentic.
[li]** Sopa De Arroz Con Pollo**[/li]Chicken and Rice Soup

[li]Guacamole[/li]Mexican Avocado Dip

[li]**Pico de Gallo **[/li]Hot Mexican Relish

[li]Carnitas[/li]Crispy Mexican Style Pork

[li]Chili de Guaillo[/li]Authentic Old Style Mexican Chili

[li]**Ensalada de la Bandera **[/li]*Mexican Flag Salad *

[li]Spanish Rice[/li]Seasoned Rice

[li]Carne de Res[/li]Shredded Mexican Beef

[li]Mexican Style Beans[/li]Chili Beans

[li]Salsa Casera[/li]Seranno Chilie Salsa

[li]Agent Orange[/li]Habanero Salsa

[li]Chicken Enchiladas[/li]Mexican Main Course

[li]Salsa 101[/li]Salsa Making Techniques

[li]Jalapeño Salsa[/li]Mexican Hot Sauce

They also make a mean stromboli. (Or at last they used to. It’s been a while…)

My favorite regi… oh never mind. I’ve already said.

Mighty Tiki God & TVeblen: some links for you…
Skyline
Graeter’s
and you can get LaRosa’s sauce in a can. I’ve seen it as far away as Indianapolis, but it’s been a while. Maybe we can set up a mail drop, if you want.

Mangetout, when you get your food site up, let us know. OK?
-Rue

Armadillo Eggs - these were (are?) only available at Reame’s Meat Market in Greenville, TX (later relocated to Cash, TX). I’ve never found them anywhere else, at least. They were breaded and fried jalapenos stuffed with seasoned chicken. Now, I’ve had lots of stuffed jalapenos, some of them even stuffed with chicken only (most are stuffed with cheese or cheese and something else), but none tasted anything like armadillo eggs. If anyone knows of somewhere else they are available, I’d love to know about it.

As far as ethnic foodstuffs - I like almost all Mexican food, Chinese hot and sour soup, vindaloos, Brazillian barbecue…

Being from southeastern Pennsylvania has three advantages (and only three): hoagies, cheesesteak sandwichs, and Yuengling beer.

You forgot two, beegowhite:

Soft pretzels. No, not those dried-out frozen and reconstituted things you get at the movie theater or ball game. I mean real soft pretzels. Nice, hot, doughy soft pretzels from the pretzel bakery at 7th and Federal.

Tastykakes. Keep your HoHos, belay those Twinkies, and Ding Dongs? I don’t think so! In a pinch, any Tastykake will do but if I have a choice, it’ll be butterscotch Krimpets or a chocolate Junior, please.

Yer pal,

Zappo

White hots, Nances mustard. OK now it’s time for an early brunch. Is there any other part of the world that has white hots?

Anyone ever heard of pierogies? It is a Polish food similar to ravioli.

Does anyone know any good Polish recipes?

Almost forgot:

The best mustard in the world comes from Phillipe’s in East L.A. Super hot and super delicious. Perfect on one of their French dips which are, incidentally, one of the best deals in all of California. Truly and American institution.

The best burgers in the world can be found at White Rose System in tiny Highland Park, New Jersey. Check it out next time you find yourself in central NJ.

I’ve heard of pierogies. My grandma used to make them; she probably still has the recipe. And Zappo, right on with the butterscotch Krimpets! My dad’s family is from Allentown, and any time one of them comes for a visit I ask them to bring me some Tasteekakes. :slight_smile:

Upstate New York doesn’t really have any regional food, does it? I mean, we grow the best corn ever, and our home-grown apples are better than the ones from the store, and there’s nothing like maple candy (not the maple SUGAR candy you can buy at, say, the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, but the kind that’s basically frozen syrup; I haven’t had it since I was four years old). And apple cider donuts are delicious. But there doesn’t seem to be a MEAL that’s regional to here.

Well, I had this great response half completed until I accidently shut down my browser!

Here’s a quick synapses:

Cherries
Apples
Pastys!
Smoked Whitefish (Yeah, I know it’s a Wisconsin site!)

Michigan. Land of Food.

I come from German stock, and one of my favorites is Himmel und Erta (heaven and earth-- can’t find the correct spelling, forgive me if it’s wrong). Anyway, this dish consists of sauteed onion and bacon, which you spoon into a hole in the middle of some hot mashed potatoes. Around the mashed potatoes, you lay down a ring od cold apple sauce, preferabley made from Gravenstein apples. MMMMMMMM.

As a Northwest gal, I also have to declare my love of Cascade berries, particularly in pie. The look a lot like blackberries, only they’re slightly longer and a bit more reddish. They’re quite tart and so very delicious.

Sorry about all the spelling errors up there. Goodness.
of.
preferably.