Your first true love

First true love? I guess it would be my husband, whom I met when I was 30. Yes, I’d kissed a lot of frogs to get to my Prince, but it was worth it. When he laughs or smiles or gets my little jokes, my heart still sings. The time he referred to Chicken Valdostana as Chicken Voldemort just to make me laugh is worth a 100 diamond rings - and yet the diamond ring he chose for me is pretty damn nice too. The e-mail at the beginning of our son’s baseball season asking me “What, no Chico Escuela tribute?” More valuable than gold. The giggle when he accidentally threw away the tray at Burger King? More beautiful to my ears than any symphony.

He’s also the kindest man I’ll even know. One day he brought me gas in a container and put it in my car in my parking lot at work because I was running late and went all the way to work on fumes like a moron - anyone should be as lucky as me.

I really should get off his back about the farting.

My husband. Met through mutual friends in college when I was 18, and eventually dumped my (only other) boyfriend to be with him at 19. We’ve been together ever since (eleven years), married for four.

I knew I was in love for the first time when it actually started to physically hurt to be away from him for a couple of hours.