Your Funeral Song

Good lord, it’s DONNIE Darko.

My family has had instructions for years that I would prefer a viking funeral, and I want a boombox playing on my burning boat, blaring The Kingsmen’s version of Louie, Louie.

I was inspired by the viking funeral scene in Blake Edward’s S.O.B., a phenomenal film by one of my favorite directors. I was quite struck by the imagery when I saw this back in 1981, and my 15 year old brain seized on it as something that would fit me. The odd thing is, I still want it. :smiley:

Many people ask me why I chose Louie, Louie. As I see it, is the best, most perfect rock song ever written, and much of what has come since then is directly descended from it’s raucous 3 chord repetition. I personally have over 100 different recorded versions of Louie, Louie and the Kingsmen’s sloppy but energetic rendition is still my favorite.

I’ve already requested “I’ll Be Mellow When I’m Dead” by “Weird Al” Yankovic…

Winner…:slight_smile:

(would replace Whipping Post w/ Jessica…ftr)

tsfr

We’ll Meet Again

Hells Bells/Teenage Waste Land /I Get By/Hey Jude/ I’m Not Afraid of Life/ Too Tough To Die/ Smoke on the Water/ Under the Bridge/ Seed 2.0/ Tom Sawyer/ Won’t Get Fooled Again/ Lithium/ I Want You (She’s So Heavy)/ Smells Like Teen Spirit/ Lithium/ All Apologies/ Wish You Were Here/ Freebird/ Strawberry Fields Forever/ Imagine/ All You need is Love
Is actually my current playlist of songs that I’ve kept in mind to play for the funeral, changing up between happy and sad, and things i like and things I think would fit the mood. And yes, I DO keep a list like this for all the times, cuz you never know when it happens, and it kinda makes me feel better. But I need more chili peppers on there…

“Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” by Green Day.

I told my brother, as he is more likely to outlive me. He thought I was being overly sentimental.

Laugh and Be Happy

Heh, that’s funny…I actually specifically wrote down in my will that if anyone played this in my honor, I would rise from the grave and attack the living.

This or McLachlan’s “I Will Remember You.”

Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me

Or My Sundown. Either one.

I don’t know, I’d be torn. I have so much music that I love that I couldn’t just say to use my favorite song cuz I couldn’t pick just one. Something upbeat, to celebrate my life? Something beautiful but haunting? Something that specifically talks about death? Something where the lyrics describe how I want to be remembered? Something where the lyrics impart some kind of lesson I want people to take with them? Maybe they should just plug in my ipod and let my favs playlist throughout the wake :smiley:

‘Wayward Wind’, by Neil Young

or

‘I’ll Fly Away’, by Allison Kraus

[Bolding Mine]

Are you clairvoyant?

I’ll chase scantily clad doper babes around your coffin.

The sadly beautiful instrumental Whale & Wasp by Alice in Chains. I can’t think of any other song I would rather have played at my funeral.

It’s one of the very few songs to ever move me to tears. :frowning:

You can listen at youtube:

Try Not to Breathe” by REM.

Blue skies, smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies do I see

Bluebirds singing a song
Nothing but bluebirds all day long

Never saw the sun shining so bright
Never saw things going so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you’re in love, my how they fly

Blue days, all of them gone
Nothing but blue skies from now on

When I was in the sixth grade I told my little friends that I wanted to be buried in a pink-and-purple polka-dotted coffin and “War” (Edwin Starr) to be played at my funeral. Tastes change… These days I don’t expect I’d have much of a funeral at all, since nobody but my family would give a damn about me dying, and I want to be cremated. Theoretically, I’d choose the fifth movement of Brahms’ German Requiem (Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit) to be played, but I wouldn’t want to make my family sit through music they don’t like.

Solsbury Hill- Peter Gabriel

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye