Your go-to egg recipes

The easiest one ever: Crack an egg into a baggie, add whatever. Goosh it up. Lay it in the microwave in such a way that it doesn’t run out. Zap it 'til it puffs up. Flip over and repeat. Break open onto bread. Eat.

Wow, I’ve never heard of this microwave-an-egg-in-a-baggie thing. I should teach this to my nephew who starts college next year.

I’d be a little nervous about using a plastic baggie: there are real health risks associated with microwaving non-microwave-safe plastics. However, “micro-eggs” were the first recipe my kid learned to make, and they’re real similar:

1. Spray a glass measuring cup with non-stick spray.
  2. Crack an egg into the cup.
  3. Scramble it with a fork.
  4. Add salt and cheese.
  5. Microwave for one minute.

That meal got her through a lot of picky-meal nights.

If you have a high power microwave, you’ll probably want to reduce the power. Even scrambled eggs have exploded in my microwave.

I hardly even think of egg dishes as having “recipes”, since they’re so flexible. Basically, put eggs and whatever other stuff you want in a pan, cook it all until it’s whatever consistency you like, and then eat.

A few days ago, it was eggs, pickled peppers, cheese, cumin, and oregano.

Agreed. I so regularly make eggs scrambled, omeleted, fried, frittataed, burritoed, poached, shirred, soft boiled and hard boiled, I hardly think about it. Eggs are an every day part of my life.

Not a fan of shakshuka for breakfast. Just a bit much as the first meal of the day, although I love the classic flavors as the day wears on.

I like the “Just Crack an Egg” sets from Ore-Ida. They’re not available at the nearest Wal-Mart, but the next-nearest one, in the larger town, has them.

We also make hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot, quite regularly.

Garlic taters and eggs:
Nuke a potato in the microwave until it’s just cooked, as if you were making potato salad. Don’t bother peeling it. Waxy potatoes like Yukon Golds work best for this.
Dice the potato in bite sized pieces and toss into your skillet with butter, salt and pepper. Set heat to medium and stir it about for a couple minutes.
Add minced garlic and stir about until you can smell the garlic, about 1 minute.
Stir up a couple of eggs with salt and pepper and pour over potatoes.
Let it set up a bit and them scramble to your taste.

Had some for brek this morning. :smiley:

We also keep a bag of sausage patties the right size for an English muffin in the freezer.
Put one in a small skillet to warm up or cook, depending on if it’s pre-cooked or not.
Scramble an egg in a buttered ramekin with some salt and pepper. Nuke the egg in the microwave in ~11 sec. increments until done. (If you don’t do it in increments, it’ll explode.)
Meanwhile, toast your muffin.
Butter the muffin and assemble same with egg, sausage, and a slice of cheese if desired.
Eat.

Tomato.

Most Saturday mornings:

Two eggs, over-medium, with some sort of meat, half an avocado (smashed with green salsa), and a few warm corn tortillas.

I forgot to include:

Over easy egg and crumbled bacon on top of steel cut oatmeal that’s flavored with dried thyme.

OEE on top of biscuits and gravy.

Oh, and I forgot my two favorite Mexican-style preparations: chorizo and eggs. That always hits the spot. Or juevos divorciados, two fried eggs, one with a red salsa, another with a green salsa, served with refried beans and tortillas.

It takes two skillets but my go to egg breakfast is an egg & cheese quesadilla. One pan, medium heat with a little oil, tortilla & shredded cheese. Cover to melt cheese while cooking an egg in the second pan with a little butter. When the egg is cooked enough to hold together, slide it onto the tortilla. Looks like this.

Fold & cover - flip when tortilla is brown and crispy on bottom & brown the other side. I use flour tortillas or ‘golden’ corn & flour tortillas.

That’s the base, add bacon, chorizo, jalapeño etc to suit your tastes.

Fried eggs with broken yolks (but not fried hard) on toast with extra sharp white cheddar and cracked black pepper.

Omelettes, usually with mushrooms and gruyere

Garbage eggs - Fry up with leftover veggies, hashbrowns, and Tabasco. Cook everything else first and add the eggs last. If I plan well, I poach the eggs and serve on top of the hash. If you don’t like tabasco, try using balsalmic vinegar.

Fried rice.

I add unbeaten eggs to miso soup. After a minute or so, I break the yolk. That makes it so there are chunks of egg white, but the yolk makes the soup positively silky.

Quiche - every spring when the asparagus is ready to harvest.

hopple popple - there are lots of recipes out there for this and they very greatly. I only discovered them after making the dish from the description of a friend. It’s similar to my garbage eggs or a quiche

Mmmmmmmm biscuits and gravy. Now I’m hungry. :smiley:

Two other things to try are migas, which is toasted corn torts with scrambled eggs and salsa, huevos rancheros, and eggs diavolo (eggs in purgatory), which are eggs poached in marinara sauce.

Oh, I used to make a great version of huevos rancheros. I haven’t done that in a long time.

I’d get some fresh roma tomatoes and purée them with garlic, onions, and salt (and maybe some chili), for the sauce.

I’d crisp-fry a couple of corn tortillas, and make a “sandwich” with the tomato purée and refried beans.

Then I’d top the tortillas with beans, scrambled or fried eggs, more tomato purée, sour cream, guacamole, cheese and hot sauce.

**Beet Pickled Eggs **

24-36 hard boiled eggs, peeled
3 cups cider vinegar
Beet juice from 4 canned beets – 1 can beets into pickle jar.
20 whole peppercorns
6 whole cloves
4-6 cloves garlic
2 bay leaf
1 TB sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. allspice berries
2 sprigs fresh dill or 2 tsp. dill seed *optional

Boil beet juice, vinegar and spices. Cool, and then pour over peeled eggs.

Good for 3-4 months in refrigerator.

Last summer, Dunkin Donuts sold these, two for $2. Can’t beat that, though some salsa and a side of sausage links would have improved it. Doesn’t McDonalds sell Egg McMuffins all day . Or breakfast burritos? :slight_smile: . my favorite fast food there.

I guess I am making fast food then - but no Dunkin’s stores around these parts.