Your "grilled cheese for grownups" is a hamburger!

Frank, not to belabor the point, but the word “burger” is right there in the name. It’s not like it’s fine print or anything.

Yes, but the Veggieburger has, astonishingly enough, vegetables in it. The Bocaburger is a brand name for the same. If I went to a restaurant and asked for a burger and got that, then I might have reason to be upset.

Am I the only one who has a morbid curiosity about how many calories are in this thing? Hardee’s 2/3 lb Monster Thickburger has 1,420 calories, and I’m just wondering whether this beats it.

Okay, I thought I was the only one.
The whole premise is a group goes to a restaurant and one guy wants a cheese sandwich, not a cheeseburger, a cheese sandwich. The joke is that he has to get it from the kids menu and it comes with crayons and a milk making him look dorky. Now, if Hardees was selling a cheese sandwich, it would make sense, but they’re not, they are selling a cheeseburger. The part that gets me is in the original restaurant where they actually have cheese sandwiches, the other people are eating cheeseburgers! Why didn’t the doofus who apprarently actually wanted a cheeseburger (not a cheese sandwich, which they also had), just order what his friends had?
Yes, when I watch it at home I scream “THEY ALREADY HAVE FUCKING CHEESEBURGERS!!!” Then I notice the kids are in the room, crying, my wife covers her face and runs out of the room screaming “You’re tearing us apart!” You need help!" But I just quietly smirk, knowing that I am right.

My roll eyes moment was that the impoverished in america look at the price of that one shopping trip and do not realize that those bottles of spice, and bag of flour will go to make 40 to 50 portions of fried chicken, chicken friend steak, chicken fried porkchops … whatever you want to fry in that manner. So amortized over the 40 to 50 portions, it literally is pennies per serving. Combine that with buying the individual pieces of raw chicken as a whole chicken and portioning it out with the whole chicken on sale, they are pretty much wasting money. The flour and spices can reside in a cupboard, and you can buy a pint of milk and a chicken on the way home from the bus stop at a small hole in the wall grocery store.

hm, I feed scratchto my chickens and we get it in 50 lb sacks =) Then we eat the chickens and eggs =)

And many people might listen to the grilled cheese for adult portion of a commercial while away from the TV, or while it was played on a radio and not hear the beef patty portion, and just ask someone to order it while they are going on a lunch run … thinking it is a literal grilled cheese sandwich. If the person making the order complies, then the person is stuck with a hunk of hacked up dead cow that they may have moral or religious reasons not to eat. The ad is still misleading.

That’s what I thought. “Grilled cheese for adults” has an implication that it’s a grilled cheese sandwich with ingredients that adults would like better than children.

I’ll take mine with melted gruyere, please.

Oh, I agree. In the absence of other information, ‘burger’ is almost universally accepted as shorthand for ‘hamburger.’ So sure, you’d have every reason to be upset if you got something that wasn’t a hamburger.

But here we have a bunch of added information.

If there’s something on the menu with the name ‘burger’ (a) with a prefix that isn’t indicative of ground beef, and (b) a bunch of other information about that menu item that suggests it’s something besides a hamburger (e.g. a hopped-up grilled cheese sandwich), then if you ordered that and were upset if it turned out not to be a hamburger, in that case I wouldn’t have much sympathy for you.

Here’s one of our local eatery’s idea of a grown up grilled cheese:
Sourdough bread coated with a butter-parmesan crust griddled crisp with melted Tillamook cheddar & Vermont white cheddar sweetened with homemade tomato chutney.
It’s exactly the kind of thing I would expect with that title.
Hardee’s thing-a-ma-bob is not what comes to mind.

And if these restaurants expect increased sales when coming up with catchy marketing slogans for their food shouldn’t they expect sales to decrease when the marketing slogan is a failure?

That’s exactly what I was thinking. When I first heard them use the phrase grilled cheese for adults, I pictured artisanal bread (or the fast food equivalent thereof) with real cheddar or swiss and some herbs or specials sauce. Then I saw that they were essentially peddling an oversized patty melt.

Best grilled cheese sandwich I ever had: smoked Gouda with super-thin slices of tomato and caramelized red onion, on flatbread, brushed with some kind of magic seasoned butter-oil, cooked on one of those deli-style pancake griddles. Sweet baby Jeebus, that was delicious. And now I am super-hungry.

I don’t think we get those Hardee’s commercials up here in my neck of the woods, but it sure sounds like this particular commercial would annoy me to no end also.

That’s not a grilled cheese for grownups. This is.

This thread is killing me. Am I the only one slobbering over my keyboard right now? More than usual, I mean.

After Hampshire’s and rockle’s posts? Absofuckinglutely.

This post was an excellent start to my morning! Thank you!

I keep picturing a grilled cheese sandwich that wants to fuck me.

It’s noon here. Time to go make a grilled cheese sandwich.

Then you missed their Roastburger section (under sandwiches and melts, last item), which includes their:

Bacon Cheddar RoastBURGER
All-American RoastBURGER
and
Bacon and Bleu RoastBURGER.

Google “croque monsieur” for recipes.

I agree with the OP that a sandwich with a ground beef patty and cheese is not a grilled cheese sandwich.

But how about a sandwich with a couple of strips of bacon and cheese? I’d still call that a grilled cheese sandwich. The bacon is just an accessory to the primary grilled cheese sandwich unit.

What if you substitute a slice of prosciutto for the bacon? Still a grilled cheese sandwich? What about a slice of baloney? At what point have we passed from an essentially cheese sandwich with some meat to an essentially meat sandwich with some cheese?

When the amount of meat surpasses the amount of cheese, as appears to be the case with this thickburger, you can safely say it’s transitioned into something else.

Things were starting to get classy round these parts till you dropped that culinary turd :slight_smile: