Your "grilled cheese for grownups" is a hamburger!

One of my husband’s favorite comfort foods is grilled cheese sandwiches. If I serve tomato or chicken noodle soup with the sandwiches, he’s happy. If I don’t, he’s STILL happy. If I have put some cooked bacon in the sandwiches, he’s ecstatic. But he doesn’t want a cheeseburger, with or without bacon. He wants a grilled cheese. And he wants me to make it. Apparently, I’m the only one in the universe who makes them properly.

I like cheeseburgers, but I object to any company sneering at the noble grilled cheese sandwich as being just for kiddies. Sometimes, only a grilled cheese sandwich will do.

Frank: You might want to steer clear of South Korea for a while, then. There’s an interesting food trend here, named with the English word Toast (but it’s pronounced Toe-sooh-tooh). Now, you would think that’s just toasted bread. You would be wrong. It’s pan toasted bread with various items added between the two slices. Eggs and jam are the core ingredients. You can have Ham toast, Steak toast, Vegetable toast, Pizza toast, etc. What you will never get, though, is just plain ol’ toast.

You can click on the various menu items here to get a photo of the “toast” (you have to click on toast, then on 메뉴, finally on the item you think you might want. And I just discovered there’s an Isaac Toast in Los Angeles!

I used the Isaac Toast because there’s one less than a block from my school and I’m a bit addicted to their stuff.

Hear, hear! Well said!

And I just wanted to point out that In-N-Out Burger does have a real grilled cheese on their menu. It’s the only reason I go there.

I would note that in my experience, it’s been flat bread, not a bun. And I don’t have to ask for the tomato & lettuce! WOOT!

I guess this is news to me, because I’ve never ever heard Arby’s advertise their sandwiches as anything but.

My memory and Arby’s menu concur. Arby’s sells sandwiches.

I’ve eaten nothing but road kill served up by the rehab center where I spent the last two months. Yesterday, I was treated to two sliders that were made of ground sirloin topped with caramelized onions and I think I will never eat anything but those things again. I’ve never tasted anything better and I’m not going to tell anyone where I bought them because I don’t want anyone else to have them; I want them all for myself. The rest of you can have all the grilled cheese you want and I don’t care what you call it. I’ve discovered the ultimate sandwich. I wish I had a few of them right this moment.

Actually, you don’t have to pour anything over it. If you want to be fancy, call it a “croque monsieur.” It’s just a hot French ham-and-cheese sandwich (usually made with some kind of Swiss cheese, Emmanthaler or Gruyere).

On another note, is grilled cheese with tomato and lettuce common? I have never heard of such a thing until this thread. To me, grilled cheese is just bread and cheese. Cheese, lettuce, and tomato, is totally subverting my expectations. That concoction should have a different name.

BLAH BLAH BLAH. I’ll ignore your turgid, stupid-ass response and say this: he’s pissed off because a restaurant calls something “grilled cheese” that doesn’t conform to his definition of what “grilled cheese” is. If you can’t see how infantile that is then you’re a fucking moron, too.

Not to mention, many vegetarians order grilled CHEESE sandwiches because they are actively avoiding meat, they don’t want a honking slab of dead cow in their vegetarian sandwich.

Telling people it is a grilled cheese for adults should mean it is on texas toast, or specialty bread, as grilled cheese is typically cheese, bread, hot cooking surface. With a slab of cow it makes it a patty melt, not a grilled cheese. Now if they called it a patty melt for adults, I would have no problem with it.

So am I alone in fancying a grilled cheese now?

And I’ve never even had one before. They could be disgusting for all I know.

This does contain cow ass. I hope most people realize it will taste like cheese with ass

I’d like a number two cheesy ground cow ass please. :wink:

Arrogant Worms I Am Cow!

As a former vegetarian, I say that if you don’t check up on the ingredients of your food before you eat it then it’s your own damn fault if you end up eating something you don’t want to. “Grilled Cheese” means different things to different people, and I know plenty who eat meat on their “grilled cheese.”

Also, the vegetarian angle was not mentioned anywhere in the OP at all. It was just, “Their grilled cheese isn’t a real grilled cheese” and then a temper tantrum ensued.

Says who?

http://grilledcheeseinvitational.com/
http://www.google.com/images?q=grilled+cheese&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=qLb7S5zpBIHGlQe7gNn1Dw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CEQQsAQwBQ

[though in this last compendium of images, the face of the religious icon of your choice is optional]

In 90% or greater the images are 2 slices of bread, some slab of cheese, and a cooking surface. I didn’t find any where they were made with a blow torch, but I also didn’t really look that hard for one. The vast majority did not contain meat, though there were occasional pieces of ham, spam, bacon, sausage patties and what did appear to be beef patties. Though any of the images of ground product could have been boca burgers or veggie patties of varying types.

I think Ill have grilled cheese with tomato soup for lunch.

Well, yes. It’s an idiotic commercial for a product that is not what they imply it is, and I choose to respond to it by no longer providing them with my money. I don’t see why this isn’t equally as valid a response to the commercial as dashing out and buying one.

The product name “grilled cheese thickburger” may not be technically inaccurate, but IMHO it’s misleading. Because it’s hardly unheard of to put prefixes before ‘burger’ that are indicative of a burger-style sandwich that doesn’t have any ground beef in it, e.g. Bocaburger, and veggieburgers generally.

So if I hadn’t read this thread, and I were told that that Hardee’s was making a grilled cheese sandwich for grownups with the name “grilled cheese thickburger,” I might wonder whether the ‘thickburger’ was really a hamburger with a shitload of cheese on it, but I wouldn’t expect it.

ETA: I’d expect it to be on hamburger buns, though, regardless of what was between the buns.

Yep. That commercial pisses me off almost as much as the one they had for KFC a year or two ago, where they show the family going through the grocery store and buying a whole bag of flour and jars of each of the 11 eleven herbs and spices, as well as entire containers of whatever else goes in their fried chicken, in an effort to demonstrate how much cheaper it would be to eat out. And at the end the mom says, “That’s it. We’re going to KFC!” And the kids go YAAAAYYYY!.
Anyway, sorry for the hijack. I just had to get that out there.

I went to Sam’s Club, bought a 500 pound bag of scratch. Now, all my meals are made from scratch, just like Hardees’ biscuits.

Agreed. Now, stop eating at fast food places and spend a couple bucks more at some place like this near you in Creve Coeur:

http://www.caterwithus.com/

I eat lunch once a week there and the servings are generous and yummy.

Damn, I’m going to have to go to the store and get some cheese.

I sometimes make grilled cheese by dipping one side of the bread in an egg and milk mixture (think french toast) before putting it in the pan. Makes a nice, crusty sandwich.

This looks to me like one of those cases where someone dreamed up the ad campaign before they had the product. They came up with the whole “grilled cheese for grownups” concept, but the actual product idea got bastardized somewhere along the line.

BTW – Hardees’? Next time, put the word “thick” at the beginning of the name. Trust me, It’ll save a lot of whining.