Your home city gets nuked; what do you do?

You were away on vacation that is. You get up one morning and the news media are screaming that a large-yield thermonuclear device has incinerated <hometown name here>.
[ul]
[li]Your home and all your belongings? Gone.[/li][li]Your pets? Gone.[/li][li]Most or all of your friends? Gone.[/li][li]Your job? Gone.[/li][li]Insurance- what insurance? Half the insurance agencies in the country just declared bankruptcy.[/li][li]Your bank account is frozen for the duration of the emergency (week? months? a couple of years?) Maybe your bank went under when the insurance companies did.[/li][li]The credit rating of everyone who lived in your city is now zero.[/li][/ul]
Now what?

Take credit for the nuking. Free room and board on the government’s dime.

I don’t think your money would be gone. It’s not like your bank keeps all your deposits in a vault with a sticky note with your name on it. You should still have most of your wealth, if it is sufficiently diversified.

Yup, that would definitely suck.

I don’t have any pets.

This would be the worst thing for me personally.

No, I’m retired. And my pension checks would keep coming through.

No, they would declare it an act of war and say they didn’t have to pay out. But I’m underinsured personally, so I’d take a major hit.

My bank would lose several branches and other assets but its headquarters wouldn’t be directly affected. The Feds would cover my account if necessary.

Your home and all your belongings? Gone.

I rent here and while I’ve accumulated a bunch of stuff I can’t think of much that would be irreplaceable.

[li]Your pets? Gone.[/li]
Losing my dogs would suck and would likely be the worst part of LA getting nuked for me

[li]Most or all of your friends? Gone.[/li]
I don’t have a friend that lives within 100 miles of me so this is a total non issue. That unless my wife wasn’t on vacation with me or my kid, like a business trip or something.

[li]Your job? Gone.[/li]
My job is based 1,000 miles from my house so no chance of that.

[li]Insurance- what insurance? Half the insurance agencies in the country just declared bankruptcy.[/li]
Losing the cars that are paid off would really hurt. Without insurance I’d have no way to buy a new car. It would depend on where I was and why how I’d recover from that.

[li]Your bank account is frozen for the duration of the emergency (week? months? a couple of years?) Maybe your bank went under when the insurance companies did.[/li]
I use an online bank and a large national bank so there is no reason for either to be effected. I should still have access to all my money.

[li]The credit rating of everyone who lived in your city is now zero.[/li]
I can’t think of any reason this would effect me.

As for what I would do it depends are my wife and I on the family vacation we took over Christmas? In that case we’ve got a car, our family and the dogs and we’re already staying with relatives although I’m not sure if she would still have a job and that would make things interesting.

If I’m on the east coast like I’ve got planned for my next business trip, then I’ve lost my wife, kid and dogs as well as all of my assets. So I’ve got cash in the bank and a plane ticket to a nuclear wasteland. I might be able to get an airline to change the destination to get me to family. I’d be incredibly sad but after declaring bankruptcy and starting over I should recover eventually.

Steal a Harley and roam the country solving crimes while always on the lookout for the people who blew up Washington DC. Sort of like an A-Team/Renegade hybrid.

I guess I’d go to breakfast.

Stop, Drop , and Roll.

or is it Duck and Cover ?
Oh, I’m not there… Well… Follow my dreams and be an exotic dancer.

Real answers:

Belongings can be replaced. My job is mostly online, non centralized. As long as the banking system actually survives, I’ll be fine. Probably suffer a work slow down for a while. If it’s an all out apocalypse, tho, I’ll become an exotic dancer.

Well most of this will sound like fighting the hypothetical, but since I live where I do and certain facts are immutable, here we go.

First up. Majorly upset. We’re at war. Huge loss of life. This event will change the course of events in history and for our country. Acknowledged. Moving on.

[quote]
[ul]
[li]Your home and all your belongings? Gone.[/ul][/li][/quote]

Insured. Also, the government usually steps in with additional in these situations. I assume I won’t be returning ever. Pictures stored in the cloud, so I’ll have some memories to share with the kids as they get older.

[quote]
[ul][li]Your pets? Gone.[/ul][/li][/quote]

This would be painful. Like losing family. I would mourn. Once I started rebuilding, wherever we relocated, I would get new pets. We have always had pets.

[quote]
[ul][li]Most or all of your friends? Gone.[/ul][/li][/quote]

well, not really. We’ve moved around a lot. Most of our friends are elsewhere.

[quote]
[ul][li]Your job? Gone.[/ul][/li][/quote]

No. I don’t work. My husband works for an International company based in Europe. He telecommutes. Job still there.

[quote]
[ul][li]Insurance- what insurance? Half the insurance agencies in the country just declared bankruptcy.[/ul][/li][/quote]

Well, see, in my case, that bomb went just a bit off course and hit a small town in the middle of Oregon. A hurricane or earthquake is going to do more damage than this. The insurance companies are still up and running. They might try and say they’re not covering us for nuclear bomb damage (I’d have to look up act of war), in which case I would be turning to the Feds.

[quote]
[ul][li]Your bank account is frozen for the duration of the emergency (week? months? a couple of years?) Maybe your bank went under when the insurance companies did.[/ul][/li][/quote]

Why? Seriously. Why? Federally insured, etc. Why would my bank accounts be frozen? Fine, I’ll play. Family, where I’d probably be staying anyway until I rebuilt, would take care of me.

This is foolish. My family still has income. We still have stocks, bonds, retirement accounts, credit cards, savings, etc. The only thing we lost was physical property, which was likely insured (still have to check that acts of war clause).

Now we live in a country in a major war, and we pick a place to start rebuilding our lives.

My credit cards would still work. I’d move in with my mother until things were settled.

Find a homeless shelter and stay there, quite probably for several years. Either that or beg on the street. (And die, because there will be a lot of competition.)

The gigantic economic depression following this event will make me – and millions – jobless, and, from the hypothetical, I start out homeless.

And my bank, and my insurance company, are both bankrupt now, so I’ll never get what I’m owed.

(Also, with my family dead…and the rest of the catastrophe…I’d sink into deep clinical depression, and probably just go to sleep till I’m dead. Active suicide is terribly likely.)

[quote=“Lumpy, post:1, topic:777116”]

You were away on vacation that is. You get up one morning and the news media are screaming that a large-yield thermonuclear device has incinerated <hometown name here>.
[LIST]
[li]Your home and all your belongings? Gone. [/li][/quote]

I’m renting, and I don’t have muc stuuf. I will regret my pictures.

[QUOTE]
[li]Your pets? Gone.[/li][/QUOTE]

I don’t have pets.

[QUOTE]

[li]Most or all of your friends? Gone.[/li][/QUOTE]

My closest friends don’t live in the Paris area. No close relative does, either.

[QUOTE]

[li]Your job? Gone.[/li][/QUOTE]

Probably not. The organization I work for is considered critical, so we’d continue to operate. I’d report to the new headquarters, presumably in south-western France, where our second largest affiliate is situated. In fact, we’d probably have more work than ever.

Going to be an awful mess, given that how strongly centralized France is. But as you can see, I’m going to be luckier than most.

Detroit? Nobody would notice. :wink:

Point of order: when the San Francisco earthquake hit in 1906 the Lloyds insurers paid up.

Why would it be frozen? Banks still operated in WW1 and WW2.

My biggest upset will be the loss of my family and friends: I would be utterly devastated. With regards to my property itself the most important loss would be memories - pictures, letters, and the like - but without my nephew and niece they’d die with me anyway.

I’d move back to England: too many upsetting memories here.

Most of my relatives would be gone, all of my stuff. I don’t have many non-relative friends, but most would be gone. Losing my pets would truly suck, and I’d grieve for them as much as my relatives.

But I do have a few relatives out of the blast area, and a couple of friends that would, at least temporarily, take me in. I have some job skills, I’m a baker and pretty good at it. There would probably be government help. I’d look to my religious denomination for temp aid too.

If I could just get a little apartment of my own I’d just start over, what else could I do? I have only a few years to Social Security income.

At this point? No great loss. I’d like to move anyway. I’d go stay with family or friends, find work, start over. The only thing I’d miss is my plants. Replaceable. I could get medical care from the VA. If we’re at war I might even get called up, though that’s doubtful at my age and health, but if they needed me, I’d go and do my best.

Vow vengeance on the evil curs who leveled New York City, flex my steely muscles and razor-sharp brain, and not take rest until I brought them to justice.

Or just go to breakfast with Gatopescado. How does he like his eggs?

Depends on how the wind blows; I have 400+ acres in the mountains about 350 miles away set up as a hunting camp.

Thanks, man! I’ll need the company. Over-medium, lots of bacon. Crispy! :smiley:

We can talk about the over-kill of nukes, because if my place goes, the enemy obviously ran out of legitimate targets long ago.

I don’t have much so it wouldn’t suck too bad. I suppose I’d be shipped off to the FEMA concentration camps to be farmed for organs, or whatever the latest crazy conspiracy suggests. Or just move back in with parents.