Your "I'm getting old" moments

Just a week or so ago, I ran into someone I used to work with on Facebook. She’s cute and single, so of course I had to try and mack on her. I mentioned that we hadn’t seen each other since 2008, she quipped that she had only started working there in 2007. When I offered that I’d started working there in 1999, she goes, “I was 10 years old in 1999!”

Ouch.

Whenever I sign up or register for something online and it takes FOREVER to scroll down to my birth year. I otherwise feel young for my age, but this one knocks the wind out of my sails.

Did you end up seeing Iron Maiden? If not, seeing Bruce Dickinson might have made you feel better about your age. :slight_smile: When I saw Maiden recently, Dickinson blew me away with how much energy/physical stamina he has and how powerful his voice still is at his age. There are many 20 year olds who couldn’t keep up with Bruce Dickinson, believe me.

The other night I realized that the woman I’m currently dating is closer in age to my oldest niece than to me. They were both fans of New Kids on the Block.

Kids today, I swear!

When all my friends are dying off. And some are younger than me.

And instead of asking a new acquaintance, “What do you do?” you first ask, “How are you enjoying retirement?”

This was a few years back when they were first starting to tour again ------- and yes I did go. Had to. It was like seeing Paul Revere and his New Raiders - just to revive some long-dead brain cells made it worth the cost.

Yesterday I went to the Sheriff’s Office to renew my CCW permit. They told me to make the check out to WCSO. I said that that sounded like a radio station from back east and sung, ‘Double-yoo See Ess OH!’ One of the women in the office said, ‘What was that TV show…?’ I told her WKRP in Cincinnati. The young girl helping me asked, ‘What’s that?’ The other woman said, ‘Are you really too young to know?’

I have absolutely no idea who most of the “celebrities” shown in show-biz magazines are anymore. Just yesterday I uttered the phrase “Who the hell is ‘Chord Overstreet’ and who names their kid ‘Chord’ anyway?”

And the day before, I asked “Whatever happened to Paul Kangas?”

I’m ooooooold.

Trifocals at 45 was a kick in the pants. Looking in the mirror and seeing my grandmother staring back was another. But one of the biggies was when I was assigned to a new team at work and I figured out I was old enough to be the mother of more than half of my coworkers.

Pile that on top of being older than the president, my dentist, my doctor and the last 3 commanding officers at the last place I worked. I’m not ready to pack it in, tho. I was retired just over a year when I decided to go back to work, and I’m really enjoying it.

I came here to post this. I’m in reasonably good shape, I go to the gym and eat fairly well but I can’t do anything in the morning until after the three Advil kick in.

I’m trimming my ear hairs (at 43, seriously??)
My knees always bark at me now (cost of too many sports in my youth)
I have to watch what I eat now, or I’ll blow up like a tic - never an issue before

The first one was several years back when those darn younguns working in the store started calling me “Ma’am”. I AIN’T NO MA’AM! NOOOooo! :frowning:
Trifocals hit not long after that.
Lately I’ve found it very difficult to get back up off the floor when I’ve been playing with my cats. I find myself sitting there and planning which foot/knee goes where and looking for a handhold before I even attempt it.

When my first thought of pictures of soldiers dying in foreign wars – i.e. indisputably adults – is “they’re only KIDS!”

Yep. A couple of months ago I was working on a project that had me sitting on the floor in a tiny room full of fragile machines and a lot of wires. Standing up required a serious game plan.

The day I realized I was giving more unsolicited advice than I was ignoring.

Whenever I forget how old I am my knees remind me.

Reading tiny print is harder, but who needs reading glasses when you can call the kid over to read it to you.

Whenever I hear the music I listened to growing up being referred to as classic rock.

Things that used to be ‘adventures’ aren’t anymore.
When I first started pet sitting a big bouncy dog was a challenge, now they are a pain in the ass.
Once after a blizzard I had to get to the last house on a dead end street and the snow plow had pushed all the snow in front of that house. I thought nothing of climbing over the snow bank on my hands and knees, now I’d probably look at it and cry. When my son and I went out on the deck and saw we had to go down ice covered steps, I told him to sit down and gave him a push and then I slid down behind him. Now I’m just glad I don’t have to pet sit there anymore.

I used to say:
“You know it’s going to be a good day when you wake up and nothing hurts real bad.”

Now I say:
“You know it’s going to be a good day when you wake up.”

:smiley:

The other day I walked into the kitchen to turn off the coffee maker. Turns out I had already done this earlier as the damn thing was already off!

Either that or I have ghosts.

I graduated from college when I was 28. I’ll always remember how hurt I was when one of the other students stopped me in the hallway to ask for the calculus assignment and called me sir. I’m only 8 years older than you FFS!

My 50th high school reunion will be this year.
Since I’m on Social Security and Medicare, I’m one of Romney’s 47%.
Now that I’ve had my open-heart surgery, total knee replacement is next.
The little girl who I used to babysit for has survived breast cancer.
I’ve already had cataract surgery in one eye; the other will be within 2-3 years.
My nose hair is turning gray.
I remember watching Elizabeth II’s Coronation on TV. She was in her 20s at the time.
I have to take showers, because if I try to take a bath I can’t get in or out.
My partner is 20 years my junior, and he’s starting to look middle-aged.
I have gone into another room and not remembered why.
I have fallen and couldn’t get up.
Don’t ask me about my sexual prowess.