Your Local Restaurant Chains That Do It Better

I know who the Clown is, but who is the Other Clown?

Ronald McDonald and Jack-In-The-Box.

And in the midwest, we have 3 or 4 in the St. Louis, MO area - and they are, in fact, awesome.

Erbert’s & Gerbert’s is fantastic. A Jimmy John’s just opened near my work, but E&G’s is way better. I’m going there for lunch today, matter of fact.

I’m gonna assume that’s giardiniera, an Italian relish, and not some exotic intestinal disorder.

Burger Hut. Mmmmm.

The best plug I cna give Five Guys is that I don’t think of them as a competition for the chains. Going to Five Guys is a pleasurable experience with food I enjoy - it just is different to stopping at McDonalds or BK, which I would only ever do out of necessity rather than choice.

While they are pretty quick, they aren’t “fast food.”

I’ll second Culver’s. Local chains I enjoy include Portillos (for hot dogs and Italian beef, although those items don’t really compete with any other national chain’s major items) and Aurelio’s Pizza (for thin crust) and Lou Malnati’s (for deep dish.)

Here in the bay area there’s a two or three restaurant chain called Pizza Antica, and they make thin, crisp Neopolitan style pizzas that are my very favorites.

We also have Super Taqueria, which is a fast, delicious, inexpensive taco joint chain. Damn, they make good carne asada super tacos.

Then there’s the chain of burger places called The Counter. I looked just now and was surprised to see that there are perhaps two dozen of them across the U.S. I thought they were local to California only. I love their burgers! The meat is top quality, they build them how you like them, and their fries as classic shoestring cut, crisp and hot.

[hijack]After reading thisarticle about the amoniated “pink slime,” I – not normally a food alarmist – have been put a bit off of my feed about that stuff. As a number of posts here have been for burger joints – any idea how to determine who doesn’t use this stuff? I know In-n-Out freshly grinds their meat. Any other chains or mini-chains?[/]

Burgerville isn’t the best place for burgers, but I think it’s one of the best for sides. The specialty milkshakes are awesome. I love their version of sweet potato fries most of all, except for the bit where you’ll probably want to sprinkle on some salt, since Burgerville likes to pretend they’re healthy and don’t salt the fries enough.

I like the eegees frozen concoctions, but I find the sandwiches too bready and stingy with the meat. My coworkers and I will bring in a big bucket of eegees when it’s 110 out, and it’s divine. Their fries are good, true. But the fountain soda at the one on Tanque Verde is nasty.

Kidd Valley in the Puget Sound area.

Just greasy, good food.

I second this. They are truly masters at restaurant management. They turn out consistantly good food at every location and never ever fail to have every table filled every night of the week. They are opening an Italian restaurant in Fairfax Corner sometime this year. Only one I don’t love is Jackson’s in Reston. It’s always extremely crowded and the menu is a hodgepodge of things from all the other restaurants instead of coming up with new and original dishes. Plus as a weird random menu item they have sushi rolls. SUSHI ROLLS??!!??

Oh, that’s one of the most common signs of a restaurant that’s lost its way and has just decided that sushi is a nice high-margin item that people tend to like, or think they like enough to order it at a completely-not-sushi-qualified place. A good half of the Chinese and Thai joints around me have shoehorned crappy sushi onto their menu – you know, our eyes are slanty, that qualifies us to make sushi! Anyone who orders accepting that rationale deserves the low quality they will likely get . . . .

Indeed – 'twas a quick stab at the spelling while in too big a rush to Google. To be extra clear, I’m referring to the Chicago-style giardiniera which is spicy and composed of little crunchy bits, as opposed to the Italian-style stuff which is understand is vinegary and bigger.

I’m a big Culver’s fan. (They’re known, in part, for their frozen custard, which I don’t partake in.) Late last year, they opened a Culver’s about 2 miles from my house…I’m thrilled! :smiley: