Your most shameful culinary practices

Nobody is going to tell anyone about this, right? :slightly_frowning_face:

I like ketchup. I drink Nikolai Vodka. I buy box wine.

But do you buy box ketchup?

I will occasionally make myself what I call “white trash turkey dinner”:

• A pack of sliced turkey breast lunchmeat
  • A box of Stove Top stuffing
  • A jar of turkey gravy

Make the stuffing, then, while it sits for five minutes to “set up,” put the turkey and the gravy in a microwave-safe bowl, and warm it up. Then, put the turkey and gravy on top of the stuffing.

Nothing wrong with box wine.

I don’t think margarine is a terrible product these days.
Edit: I’m not ashamed of this, but a lot of people seem to think I should be.

Of course. I love butter, but sometimes I use margarine or ‘vegetable based baking spread’ or ‘plant butter’ whatever nonsense-du-jour name it has. It’s not bad. It’s a perfectly serviceable product to substitute for butter, when a buttery taste is not required or would not be noticed (or for people who cannot eat dairy).

Most of the bad things people say about it are either irrelevant like ‘margarine originally contained chopped cow udders!’ or outright untrue like ‘it was made to fatten turkeys but it killed them’ or simply aren’t coherent statements, like ‘it’s one molecule away from plastic’

Based on your user name, I would expect you to be willing to eat anything. :smiley:

I often use imitation crab and lobster in recipes.

I love real crab and lobster and I can taste the difference when I’m eating them by themselves. But if I’m making something like chowder or seafood lasagna, the differences between real and imitation get lost in the other flavors and it seems foolish to me to spend five times as much money for something I won’t even taste.

Sometimes I don’t feel like even putting dirty plates in the sink so I’ll just stick them in the fridge until morning.

Mayo sucks as a condiment. Mustard rules!

Now to the real crime to make the mayo crowd cringe- I LIKE Miracle Whip. It tastes far better than mayo. I like it on my bacon and tomato sandwiches. I like it on Hoosier style tenderloin sandwiches, and it’s the bomb on Thanksgiving afternoon turkey thigh meat sandwiches! That label says “salad dressing”- the salads meant are chicken, egg, and ham salads, where Miracle Whip excels since it tastes like mayo does after sweet pickle relish and mustard are added in .

I like my eggs cooked hard. Absolutely no runny yolks, period.
I don’t like mustard on my pastrami or corned beef, mayonnaise is perfectly adequate there.
Horseradish sauce &/or steak sauce will never see any steak I eat.
If I cook my steak too long and it’s no longer rare, I’ll eat it anyway, and like it.
I’ve been known to use condensed ‘cream of’ soups to make sauces.
I use pre-mixed spices mixes, (but they’re from Penzey;s, so that’s okay.)
I use a 10" chef’s knife for everything.

I’ll see myself out.

Absolutely! I only use it on original Kraft mac n cheese. I wouldn’t try it on even the deluxe type with the pre-made cheese sauce.

I once purchased an “institutional size” box with a plastic bladder filled with ketchup at a close-out, so yes.

I agree. Better for the environment as well, I hope.

Preach it, brethren and sistren!

Mac & cheese gets BBQ sauce and relish.

Box wines range from the “This really sucks!” to “Damn, this isn’t half-bad.” Stick with Bota and you’ll be fine. There’s a box of their Old Vine Zinfandel in the fridge as I type.

My standard make-it-at-home pizza uses Jiffy pizza mix for the crust.

Like Bumba, my eggs must be fried hard. I want to be able to frisbee them across the room if I so desire. Liquid yolk is Evil.

You’re not supposed to drain it down the sink; you’re supposed to give it to the cats.

I always wash raw mushrooms rather than just brushing off the dirt. 'Shrooms are half water anyway, so what’s a little more?

I don’t use bleach to clean cutting boards after cutting up raw chicken. Piping hot water, dish detergent, and a stiff scrubbing brush is fine. I can’t stand the smell of bleach in the kitchen and on surfaces that touch foods.

Instant gravy mixes are fine. Add stuff to them if you must have them fancy.

The hell with lean hamburger. It tastes like dry ground-up cork. I started buying the fattier stuff at Costco and my meatballs and meatloaves are tasting much better.

I don’t even do that. A quick wipe with a dirty sponge, and I’m good to go.

I just put it on the floor and the dog licks it clean.

Not allowed red meat for medical reasons. Every now and again I have to cook up chicken drumsticks in spare rib sauce, just for a fix. (But it has to be Lee Kum Kee rib sauce - so do I get a pass?)

j

PS: I have also worked out how to do cheese on toast in a microwave. For those days when grilling something is too much like hard work.

Might I suggest using horseradish as part of a rub? Believe it or not, the cooking process makes it sweeter. Love it, love it, love it.

Heh. When i was a kid, my mom ALWAYS bought Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise. Given what I knew of her penchant for stretching the food budget as far as it would go, I always presumed that it meant MW (or off-brand “salad dressing”) always cost less than it’s mayo counterpart. So, when I married and set up housekeeping with kaylasmom, I set out to buy Miracle Whip. Kaylasmom IMMEDIATELY put a stop to that, and I went for nearly thirty years before I learned that the two products cost the same.

I guess Mom just liked Miracle Whip.