Your newest haul of books, music, and/or movies

What was your last purchase or other acquisition (girt, theft, indeterminate borrowing) of books, music, and/or movies?

Mine:

Books:
Ursula K. Le Guin: Voices
Mercedes Lackey (Ed.): Mapping the World of Harry Potter
Noah J. Efron: Real Jews: Secular vs. Ultra-Orthodox and the Struggle for Jewish Identity in Israel

Music:
Susheela Raman: Music for Crocodiles

Movies:
Common Threads - Stories from the Quilt

You?

I think the latest Greg Keyes book is winging its way to me via UPS. Woo! A poet friend of mine sent two of his books, and I’ve gotten two journals lately.

I haven’t bought music or a movie in a looong time. I’m in a very bookish mood.

I currently have 19 books out of the library. That’s a bit of overkill.

I haven’t bought music in a while, and I don’t buy movies, but my most recent amazon order consisted of:

The Disinformation Guide to the Invisibles
*A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide * - Samantha Powers
Patricia C. Wrede’s *Enchanted Forest * series
Screening Party - Dennis Hensley
The Summer Tree - Guy Gavriel Kay
Scott of the Antartic - Robert Crane

An eclectic mix, I guess.

the first book i bought with my own money was tarzan of the apes, by edgar rice burroughs. i still have it. over the years, i bought most of mr. burroughs work, the ballantine paperbacks are in atrocious condition.

a few weeks ago, at an estate sale, i found a beer flat full of burroughs paperbacks in pristine condition for twenty five bucks. i have been re-readiung them. it is kind of like seeing an old friend after many years, and remembering the good times,

My most recent music acquisitions are:

The Cameo-Parkway box set
Harry Nilsson - Son Of Schmilsson (expanded remaster)
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (DCC gold CD remaster)
Deep Purple - Last Concert In Japan (JPN only issue)
Hawkwind - Amazing Sounds, Amazing Music
Hawkwind - Quark, Strangenes And Charm
Otis Rush - The Essential (Classic Cobra Recordings)
Ike Turner - 1958-1959
Peter Gabriel - Ein Deutcshes Album
Supertramp - Retrospectable
The Who & Various Artists - Quadrophenia (2000 remaster)
The Beach Boys - Endless Summer (DCC gold CD remaster)

…and 15 or 20 others that have slipped my mind at the moment.

In reverse order:

The complete Firefly series and X-Men: The Last Stand soundtrack; House, season 1, and the Spamalot Broadway recording; the V for Vendetta DVD; and the complete Sandman collection.

I’m spoiled. :smiley:

In not quite correct order…

Radiohead’s Kid A, The Bends and Amnesiac
The Tubes, Dawn of the Tubes

Still waiting on an import copy of Pat Travers’ Putting It Straight

Oh, and a dvd copy of Groove Tube. :smiley:

Just yesterday I ordered the following from Amazon:

National Puzzlers’ League Cryptic Crosswords
Amassakoul (CD by Tinarawen, a Touareg group from Mali; “Sahara-style blues”)
Bride and Prejudice (Bollywood-style version of Pride and Prejudice)

Having recently listened to a Mrs. Pollifax audiobook, I then went to the library 3 times in the past week and came home with 12 Mrs. Pollifax books. I think there exists one which I still don’t have access to, I have returned at least 3 to the library, and I have half a dozen unrelated books on the back burner.

Overkill, given what I need to be doing rather than reading the life history of Mrs. Pollifax.

I just ordered Madeleine Vionnet in at work, and picked up

Nigel Slater’s Real Food
Religion and the Decline of Magic (for my husband)
The Neverending Story (for a friend)

My next splurge will be the Vionnet book. It’s $120. Aagh. I’d like to get The Short Life and Long Times of Mrs. Beeton and the paperback Breath of Snow and Ashes.

The big box stores have had some great DVD sales lately, so I’ve been stocking up:

American Pie 2
American Pie 3
V For Vendetta
Spy Game
Mr and Mrs Smith
Bourne Supremacy
Matrix 3 (to fill out my shelf more than really wanting it)

…were all bought on one trip for under $50.

Also recently

Noises Off!
The Producers
Eurotrip
Animaniacs Season One

Recently for music:

Dixie Chicks “Taking the Long Way”
And via iTunes, one track, Richard Thompson “Persuasion”

Recently for books:

Matthew Pearl “The Dante Club” because the book I had been reading finished in the middle of my day and I needed something. What a disappointment.

Bookwise, I have been on a severe Mervyn Peake kick for the past two months. I’ve purchased and read three different biographies:

John Watney; Mervyn Peake, 1976
G. Peter Winnington; Vast Alchemies: the Life and Work of Mervyn Peake, 2000
Malcolm Yorke; My Eyes Mint Gold: A Life of Mervyn Peake, 2002

Through used book services, I’ve picked up various books illustrated by Peake, including Carroll’s Alice books and Hunting of the Snark, Stevenson’s Treasure Island, Grimm’s Household Tales, and the nursery rhyme collection Ride a Cock-Horse.

I’m currently reading Philip Wylie’s Generation of Vipers. Next up is Jay Winter’s Sites of Memory, Sites of Mourning: The Great War in European Cultural History.

Movies: The 2000 BBC production of Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast, of course! Also, the first season of the television shows *The Avengers * and The Wild Wild West; the 1980 Peter O’Toole cult film The Stunt Man; the first seasons of *Animaniacs * and *Pinky and the Brain * (as much for the kids as for me.)

Music: These arrived from Amazon over the past few days…

Kurt Weill’s *Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2; Lady in the Dark * (Symphonic Nocturne); Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra under Martin Alsop
Peggy Lee and Benny Goodman; The Complete Recordings 1941-47
Jordi Savall and La Capella Reial de Catalunya; Villancicos y Danzas Criollas de la Iberia Antigua al Nuevo Mundo 1550-1750
Pink Floyd; *The Piper at the Gates of Dawn * and Relics (all those Syd Barrett obits got me curious about early-period Floyd, which I’d never heard, on purpose anyway)

A Saucerful of Secrets is one of my favorites.

I’m heading for the Caribbean in a few days so I stopped at the bookstore yesterday to pick up a few for the plane/beach. Wound up with:

Map of Bones - James Rollins
The Cabinet of Curiosities - Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child
Vigil - Robert Masello

Oh yeah, and SQL Server 2005 Programming, but that one has nothing to do with vacation or the beach. :frowning:
My music and DVD purchases go back a few weeks, but:

Music
Karmacode - Lacuna Coil
The Best of Miami Vice - Various

DVD
Odyssey 5 - The Complete Series

My interest in reading has been in a slump lately but,
Scatterbrain - Larry Niven
Old Twentieth - Joe Haldeman (first science fiction I’ve read in quite a while)
Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets from mental_floss magazine
Be The Coolest Dad On The Block - Simon Rose & Steve Caplin, recommended to anyone with children in their life. “All the tricks, games, puzzles and jokes you need to impress your kids (and keep them entertained for years to come!)”

DVDs
V For Vendetta
Songlines - the Derek Trucks Band
Pulse - Pink Floyd
Aeon Flux
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

CDs
the music that died alone - the Tangent
Pepper’s Ghost - Arena
Dark Matter and Subterranea - IQ
from iTunes
Foly! Live Around The World - Habib Koite & Bamada