You're An Adult, And Someone Farts In Church

Laugh ?

Not me.

Horrified better describes my reaction.

I’d just ignore it. It’s not funny, and it’s no crime. Frankly, I really wonder what our obsession with farts says about us as a society.

This is my option.

I lol’d.

At this time of year, I’d probably break in to “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing!”

And laugh, oh, yes, and laugh.

I actually had to bite my lip during my sister’s wedding to stop myself from laughing after someone farted. The priest had stopped talking long enough to take a breath when someone let one fly. At first, I thought it was my niece, who was standing next to me at the alter too-cute in her little white flower girl dress. But it wasn’t her, she was about 3 at the time and would often announce her little ‘outbursts.’ After hearing it I, and the rest of the bridal party, scanned the guests and most of them were trying their best to keep their composure.

Everyone managed to make it through the rest of the ceremony with their dignity intact, but it made for great fodder at the reception. To this day, no one has owned up to it, but my friend swears she didn’t hear it, leading us to suspect it was her or her husband.

It would depend on the actual sound and smell, I’d say. A polite little “pupp!” probably wouldn’t even ping my radar. But if people suddenly started fanning their faces and dabbing at their watering eyes from the stench, there’s no way I wouldn’t at least grin, though “run out of there” is definitely too far.

I rarely think farting is funny. Why do people think it’s funny? It smells gross, but the sound? Meh.

I’m missing the gene that makes farts funny. I’m more likely to feel sorry for the poor embarrassed person who dealt it.

I don’t think it’s funny. It’s not as if I think, “Well, wasn’t that a clever and amusing sound?” as if it’s a well-told joke. I just laugh when I hear a fart from an unexpected source. I try not to laugh, but I can’t help it.

I think farts are funny, but I have no sense of smell.

Farts smell so deaf people can appreciate them, too.

Ah. Helps to explain your s/n.

The faces would change in a slow rolling wave, like the shadow of a cloud across a field on a sunny day. I mean from bright & shiney to surprise to abject horror…

“…Blessed are the [SIZE=“1”]squeak for they shall inherit the earth…”[/SIZE]

Well, I dropped my guts on the top deck of an open air bus in Edinburgh in winter and cleared the whole deck. No one thought that was funny apart from me.

(I blamed the haggis).

Depends on whether the pews are padded or not. Back in the day, when I used to go to church, I went to churches that do not believe in padding the pews (and who also believe in 3-hours of meetings on Sundays). Farts on a wooden pew – especially if you’ve got really good old church acoustics going on in there – really reverberate with the most humorous tone. Farts into a cushion are much easier to ignore.

If it’s one of those big old mahogany pews, I’ll be laughing all the way to hell.

I had a fart go off inside me while taking my SAT’s. It made a sound like this: Feeeeeeee, and, in a very quiet room… well you can guess at the laughter it generated, right? :slight_smile:

So, in a way, I helped relax some of those folks and take the pressure off for a minute or so.:wink:

Quasi

I’m used to it, so I don’t laugh anymore.

But then again, my pastor is this guy.

You only grow old if you choose to, Gramps. Me, I’m 31 and I still ride shopping carts in the grocery parking lot and chase my girlfriend out of the room with my noxious fumes, cackling madly. :smiley:

Yeah God really had his thinking cap on the day he invented farts.

Fact 1: Farts are funny.

Fact B: Farts are funnier in church.

True story.

Back when I went to church someone on the other side of auditorium farted. I didn’t hear or smell it personally but an elderly lady nearby the farter, hell it may have been her, did and she let out an audible, “Oh my.” So several people and myself glanced over and she had a scrunched up face and was fanning her nose so immediately I thought, “Somebody just farted.” and I giggled silently to myself. A moment or two later the pastor who had been talking stopped talking, looked down and cracked a smile and did a quick silent giggle himself. Then he looked back up and said, “Oh, God bless us.” and then he continued his sermon.

Edit:

I’m 32 and I still do that too.

Farts

1. make a noise
  2. smell bad
  3. Come out of your butt.

What’s not funny about that?

I try to bite my lip or put a hand over my mouth in those situations, but it’s hard not to let out a snort or a snicker. It’s the expressions on the faces of those in the blast radius that gets me - their battle to remain stoic in the fumes…a ha ha ha ha ha.