You're going to charge me to change my address online? Fuck that!

So, I’m moving. In less than a week, and finally getting around* to changing my address with the US Postal Service.

So I thought to myself…“I wonder if I can change my addrss online? Sure seems like it’d be convenient and cheaper for the post office, since they wouldn’t have to deal with the paper forms”. Go to usps.gov, and there’s a link “change your address”. How nice…I’ll just put my information into this form and there we go.

Old address, new address, submit…

“You will be charged a $1 credit card processing fee when this form is successfully processed”. What? I can drive down the street, pick up the form, drop it in the box and do this for free. Why should I pay.

Oh, but it’s only $1. Sure, only $1. But I’m still not going to pay for what I can get for free with a 5 minute drive.

It just doesn’t make sense to me, but maybe I’m missing something.

When you tell us why you paid the dollar, you’ll have your answer.

Ah, but I never put a card number in. So they can’t have charged me anything at this point - and I exited (there was no option to cancel) the browser.

I think it’s stupid.
Oh, and the * in the OP was for this: Yes, I know you’re supposed to change your address more than 4 days in advance of the move. And I would have, except, well, I didn’t get my address from my new landlord until today, because I forgot to get it last week when I was up there, and I kept forgetting to call until this afternoon when I realized that i really needed to set up phone service.
Yeah, and don’t get me started on the SBC fucktard I talked to.

Sheeesh, I happily pay 1$ to order stamps from the post office so I don’t have to drive over there and stand in line for twenty minutes. It’s 100% worth it to me.

The dollar is for the convenience of not having to get up off your ass and go to the post office.

They don’t say it on the website, but I suspect they charge the dollar to cut down on fake address changes. Having to pay, even if it’s only a buck, and more importantly, give your credit card info, is going to discourage a lot of pranksters.

I guess that could be the case. But nothing is stopping the average prankster from getting a change of address kit and filling it ouy fraudulantly. In fact, anyone that did it online, unless from some sort of public access PC, would be more likely to be caught because they’re IP could be logged. I do find it suspicious that the charge is not even mentioned until you get to the final page. Sort of like all those “free offers” you get in spam email everyday. If it’s so damn free, tell me again why you need my credit card info? Oh yes, the shipping and handling fees etc. Thanks but no thanks.

Having said that, I suppose it’s worth $1 to do a change of address online if you’re too lazy to go in to the office to pick up a change of address kit, which you shouldn’t have to stand in line for. My post office has that kind of stuff in the lobby and you just walk in and pick it up and leave.

Yeah, but you have to buy the gas. And for some people, time costs money as well.

I buy stamps when I’m at the ATM. Greatest invention since they added a timer countdown to flashing “don’t walk” signs.

Funny, but I was just at the USPS website today, and was even going to pony up the buck just to get it done. But the site was SO GODDAMN SLOW that the transaction never went through.

I ended up printing it out and mailing it. Oh well.

But it does frost me on principle that they’d charge for it.

I was just about to write a rant about this. There is something that’s really fucking annoying about having to pay extra for a service that costs them less to perform. It’s not just the post office, either.

It’s the $1 “convenience” charge that gets tacked on to all kinds of online transactions that doesn’t apply when you call the damn company up and waste the time of some phone flunky or fill out paperwork, mail it in, and they have to pay someone to go and type that info in. It’s just bad business when it’s a company. It’s clearly in their interest to make such actions easy and simple and reduce the number of data entry people and phone operators they employ.

But when it’s a public service, then it’s especially vile.

They check the address that you give and either the old or new one has to match the address change.

I did have the same address, but the system kept telling me it didn’t match exactly enough, so I ended up having to do it the old fashioned way.

According to the USPS website’s FAQ, it’s not really a “convenience” charge, it’s to help verify your identity. If you phone in your address change, you pay the same $1 fee.

However, if you don’t want to pay, you can fill out the form online, print it and hand it to a mail carrier or fill out a form at a post office. I’m guessing that in those cases, your signature is used as identity verification.

[quote]
[ul]
[li]For your security you will be required to have a valid email address and a credit card or debit card for identity validation before the COA (Change of Address) can be processed electronically. [/li][li]You will be charged a $1.00 verification fee upon successful confirmation of the change of address request. [/li][li]For your security, a TCOA (Telephone Change of Address) may also be filed by calling 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777), but the $1.00 credit or debit card processing fee will still be incurred. [/ul][/li][/quote]

[QUOTE=iamthewalrus(:3=]
I was just about to write a rant about this. There is something that’s really fucking annoying about having to pay extra for a service that costs them less to perform. It’s not just the post office, either.

[QUOTE]

This reminds me of the time my ATM card was supposed to be sent to my home adress but ended up at the bank near my house. I had to pay 10 Euros (about $12) to pick it up MYSELF while it would have been free to receive it by mail (they pay for postage). WTF? (After yelling at them for ages I grudgingly paid the fee as they stubbornly refused to either admit to the lack of logic or give me my card :smack: )

Regarding the post office issue, I can see paying more for the aspect of convenience of not having to leave the house (which is why the aforementioned charge was such a mystery to me).

Good point.