Zack Snyder Justice League cut

Looking forward to watching this just to see what the result is. The development of this movie was such a colossal shitshow. The original reshoots were terrible with bad CGI (the lip!). I can’t see how this version isn’t a total mess. But it’ll be an interesting case study on what happens when a movie has too many cooks.

It would be one thing if this were basically Snyder’s original completed movie, but that movie was never really finished. There’s no way that this doesn’t feel like an incomplete movie with some creative editing to mask the gaping holes.

Slow moving. They are very different movies in tone. Better in some ways, but not in many ways. I’ve seen the original cut a few times, but I’m not sure that I’ll see this one again.

I’m not sure that I agree the FX were worse. I didn’t come away thinking that, anyway.

The scene with the Joker. . . I don’t know what the hell that whole scene was about. Was it a setup for another movie?

I’m trying to think of what to say, but all I’m really feeling is, “Meh.”

There’s a quote I come back to often. I’m not sure who said it, but I keep thinking it was Roger Ebert. Whoever it was, it says that the worst thing a movie can be is boring. By that metric, the first one was better.

I haven’t really loved a movie since this whole pandemic started. Not sure I particularly liked too many movies. I really hoped this one would break the pattern.

For those of you who have seen it and disliked it…what is your general opinion of Zack Snyder’s other movies?

I too like to form my opinions of movies based on what two random people on the internet who have not seen it say.

So you think taking a film and doubling it’s length is going to make it feel incomplete and full of gaping holes.

Having actually seen the movie I think I’ll look else where for conversation about it. With, you know, people who have actually seen it.

If you search the archives of this board I have posted defenses of the original Justice League. I liked it then and I watched it recently and still liked it. I know I’m in the minority. So with that context I will say I really enjoyed the new version. It was like binge watching episodes of a new Justice League series and when it was over I wanted to see the next episode. It was far from flawless but for me it was really good.

Not that I think I can stomach watching them both back-to-back, but how would you go about doing this? Are both versions on HBO Max?

Yeah, that was one of the things I was scratching my head about. And the shape shifting dude. And the pregnancy test (Zack Snyder is not a subtle fellow, so the camera actually had to return and linger on it in case you missed it).

Motherboxes!

Having not I’m looking for the opinions of those who have: is this a fun way to spend four hours!

If it was a miniseries I might give it a try and decide by the end of ep 1 whether or not to stick it out. A 90 minute movie I’d probably stick out. Four hours? I’m looking for more than mixed to meh reviews.

So having seen it, is this a fun way to spend four hours?

Haven’t finished watching it yet, but I suspect if someone took the “Slow-Mo” button out of Snyder’s editing room, the movie would be at least 25% shorter. (Instead, they added an “Irish People Wailing” slider to the button, at least for the first third of the movie.)

It’s not worth your time is my guess. I partially did it to do it, and because I had not seen the original. But I would not describe it as fun.

I am also a big fan of slow cinema, and yet even my patience was sorely tested a couple of times.

I will say that your partial namesake does make some appearances if that means anything to you.

This post is totally inappropriate for cafe society. There is no reason to snipe at random other posters. If you don’t like their posts, ignore them. If you think their posts are violating the rules in some way, report them.

(bouncing this up the chain to determine if this is just a mod note or a warning.)

I don’t understand the complaining about the length of this movie. This from people who will watch a 3-hour finale of The Bachelor. If you can’t handle sitting for a 4-hour stretch (I know I can’t) then break it up into smaller segments. If and when I watch this version of Justice League it will probably be over a few days.

I suspect the “Watch 4-hour DC remake film” population and “Watch 3-hour Bachelor finale” population doesn’t have a lot of overlap on the Venn diagram.

Besides, the criticism isn’t really “This is four hours” – people will watch a four hour thing if it’s good. It’s that people don’t expect this to be good enough to be worth four hours of their time. As @DSeid noted, it might work for me to gamble on a 90 or 120 minute movie and accept that it’s mediocre but asking me to gamble on a 4hr movie – one that is a remake of an already panned film – is a bit much.

There’s a good Vanity Fair article that explains all that weird stuff at the end.

My short summary is that Snyder had originally planned for two more movies after this one. The added material, plus Bruce Wayne’s dream mid-way through of dead Wonder Woman as well as a dream about Lois that he had in BvS, we’re all meant to be connecting material about a plot line where Batman failed to save Lois and Superman gave in to Darkseid. Flash was then gonna do his time reversal trick to go back to BvS time to warn Batman so we would sacrifice himself in the next go-round.

The whole Martian Manhunter but and the pregnancy thing was another thing he was working on but the studio wouldn’t let him do much of what he wanted (including use the Green Lantern) so het put it what he could get away with.

Essentially, best to view all that confusing material as the same kind of thing as when an artist puts out an album years later as a box set with tons of outtakes and alternate tracks. It’s just a brain dump of all the material that existed at the time as a snapshot of what might have happened. Great for the completists, a bit of a head scratcher for the rest.

Wow, I hadn’t seen that, thanks. It’s a lot to unpack, Snyder’s vision. His whole rambling timeline has the feel of someone high in a dorm room at 2AM scribbling in a notebook, but that doesn’t make it uninteresting.

Given that does anyone know if there had been discussion about converting it into a two season streaming eps arc with the rest of the plot lines as the next season?

It sound like it could have adapted better to that format.

It basically is a miniseries. It’s broken up into six named parts, with each part having a natural stopping point.

That said, Part 1 is the slowest and will test your patience the most. It doesn’t start ramping up until Part 3.

I think I remember the first couple of WandaVision episodes testing your patience. So it’s like that, but less interesting.

I loved it overall, but this could’ve been 3 hours without losing any of the improvements.

Nah, I was on the side of LOVING the first three eps of WandaVision, and relatively soured on the finale.

Would I be completely lost if I fast forwarded to Part 3?

Plotwise, not really.

There’s some good characterization stuff in the first two parts, padded out with things like people singing Icelandic folk ballads and Lois Lane buying coffee.

So, I don’t know if the later emotional beats will still work if you skip the start. But, the fun stuff, you’ll be ok I think.

Nah, if you know that a creature that looks like Destroyer from the first Thor movie (but this one’s called Steppenwolf) is running around collecting three things called “Mother Boxes” that are like vibrating Infinity Stones, you get the gist of the first sections of the movie. But you’ll miss all that character development!