"Zombie" Dogs (Resuscitation Research)?

Ok, I’m pretty sure this has to be fake, but:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html?name=otherside

Is there any truth to this?

The Safar Center for Resuscitation Research is real. So was Peter Safar, MD, the Father of Resuscitation.

It sounds as if they do some neat research at the center, but you’ll have to look in a journal that doesn’t use words like ‘Boffin’ or ‘zombie dogs’ to find out what’s really going on.

That link was taking an absurd amount of time to connect, so I haven’t actually read the article you cite. However, I suspect it might be about a recent experiment in which 14 dogs had their blood removed and replaced by cold saline solution, dropping their body temperature to 50 deg F. The dogs’ hearts stopped, and they ceased to breath, thus appearing to be clinically dead. Eight of the dogs were operated on, while the others were used as a control. After one hour “dead,” the dogs’ blood was restored and they revived. After 72 hours all of the control and half of the experimental dogs were found to be neurologically normal.

More here

Same stuff. It’s not quite so titillating without the “Boffins Create Zombie Dogs” headline though.

I was reading about this on Slashdot earlier today. I wonder what kind effect it would have on the various arguments for an afterlife if we could “kill” someone for several hours and bring them back as fully functioning humans. Where was their soul during that time? Did it leave and come back? If so, would or should the person have memories of this? If not, how did it know not to leave? Etc…

And the creepy photo. shudder Does that photo have anything to do with the story?

Grrrrrr…it’s bacon…grrrrr

*He likes to experiment on his dog Abocrombie
In the hopes of creating a horrible zombie
So that he and his horrible zombie dog
could go searching for victims in the London fog *

Protion of ‘Vincent’ Poem, written by Tim Burton.
Inspired by Edgar Allen Poe’s ‘The Raven’ and children’s stories by Dr. Seuss.

I’m sorry, but I simply can’t resist pointing out that The Zombie-Dog Boffins would be a great band name.

But this is nothing new. People have been revived after being clinically dead before, and some people who have drowned in very cold water have been rescuscitated after a surprisingly long time. This sounds like just a controlled method of doing that.

There was an article about this in Scientific American not too long ago. The question is: How long can the dogs stay “out” and suffer no ill effects?

Although of course Sam they didn’t have their blood taken out and put back.

I don’t believe in souls or the afterlife, but it’s easy enough to explain it such that the soul sticks around until the “final” death. How does it know which is final? Hey, it’s already magic. It knows what it needs to know.

Here’s something somewhat related:

“This disturbing film records the successful experiments in the resuscitation of life to dead animals (dogs), as conducted by Dr. S.S. Bryukhonenko at the Institute of Experimental Physiology and Therapy, Voronezh, U.S.S.R. Director: D.I. Yashin. Camera: E.V. Kashina. Narrator: Professor Walter B. Cannon.”

It must be true! It was on the Simpsons!