I'm taking my old, old dog to be euthanized today.

I know in my heart that it is the right thing to do but still it hurts.

Lou baby is 12 years old and has metastatic breast cancer. We were told this last year when she had 5 tumors removed but at that time she was doing just fine.

In the last couple of months she has become blind, confused, incontinent of bowel and bladder. Still she interacted with the other dogs and ate and drank and went outside at least once or twice a day (in addition to potty breaks of course)

This last week or so she has really deteriorated she can’t get on or off the deck anymore–in fact she just fell off the end on her nose yesterday. She also gets lost in the yard and we have to go look for her–we have ten acres, about 7 or 8 of them are wild and wooded. She can barely walk and is just a pathetic sight to see.

It is selfish for me to let her go on like this but I have kept putting it off cause I’ve had her over 11 years now and I’ve grown accustomed to her face.

So as I write this literally with tears running down my face I am mentally preparing for this task. I know it is the right thing to do. She has no quality of life now. But still it is so hard. I will hold her as she slips off and bury her in the yard with my other beloved pets who have passed on. This weekend I will go buy a little stone to mark the spot where Lou baby’s body lies. I will keep her in my heart always right next to Vinnie, Bobo, Bambi, and Squeaky.

You know you are doing the right thing. When I had to put one of my cats to sleep I was trying to put it off like you but when he peed on the floor and then looked so ashamed I knew it was time, his life was not a pleasure but a burden and I could not let him suffer. So, be sad for the loss and glad for the joys and do the right thing for Lou. Now you made me cry.

And I read it with tears literally running down my face.

It’s never easy to have to put a friend down, but I’m sure you know that already. I guess all I can say is that I’m sure you know that wherever Lou baby is going, you’ll be sure to find her someday. And she’ll be waiting for you, wagging her tail excitedly.

As many good thoughts and hugs from a virtual stranger as you might want…

Oh man, my heart is breaking for you. I’m so sorry you have to do this. I have an older dog, as well, and it is very hard to think about not having him.

My thoughts are with you.

Tibs.

Oh, man. I’m sorry.

I know it’s tough. I remember Patches and Candy and I know how I hurt each time we had to do it. Just remember that you’re being merciful and Lou won’t have to suffer any more.

(((The Mermaid))) So sorry you have to do this today. I know no words can take away the pain but we are here for you :slight_smile:

Yup, hug your dear dog and tell her that she’ll be feeling better very soon. And tell yourself that you’ve been a kind owner and given her a good home, and now she won’t have to hurt any longer. I’ve had to have 3 ferrets put to sleep, so I know it’s rough.

I’ve been in your situation, too. I know it’s hard but you are doing what is best for your furbaby. You have my deepest and most sincere sympathies.

Remember, you are doing this because you love her. It takes a strong person to make this decision, and it is the right one.

Pet her the whole time when you go to the vet and make sure you take somebody with you.

Take care.

Mermaid

You have not been selfish at all, in fact ending a life that has lost all it’s joy is the most unselfish thing you can do.

My beloved Golden Retriver, Friday, was put to sleep a little more than a year ago. It hurts like hell, the sadness comes in waves still today.

You have given Lou baby a wonderful life, and now have decided to ease her transition into the next world. You sound like a hero to me.

:frowning: :frowning:

Honey

I took her in and the vet looked her over a bit and said that she was probably full of tumors in her lungs and abd and there was nothing that could be done for her except the merciful thing.

I helped her up on the table, patted her head and told her she was a good girl. She looked up at me and wagged her tail. Then Dr Burke clipped a little hair on her forearm and started to give the injection of pentathol. She told me they give them twice the dose that is needed for anesthesia. A second later, Lou lay down and didn’t take another breath. It was done just like that–very calm and peaceful.

A single tear rolled down my face as the doctor listened for a hearbeat and finding none, gently said that Lou was gone. We wrapped Lou’s body in her favorite blanket and placed it on a stretcher to get it in the car where it will remain until the men get home from work and place it in its final resting place under the big tree next to our other beloved pet’s remains. All that’s left now are the memories and the love.

Lou baby, you were a good girl to the very end. I love you and miss you so much already. Goodbye for now.

{{{{{Mermaid}}}}}
::sniff…::

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

You did do the right thing, and I know it hurts so much anyway. The 3 ferrets that I had to have put to sleep also had tumors in various spots, and the vet said each time that only radical surgery would help due to the advanced progress, and even then would only prolong life a short time if at all. She also couldn’t guarantee that the ferret would be feeling any better during that time. So each time, I did what was the merciful thing to do. I cried, told the little critter they’d be feeling much better soon, that I’d miss them, and I was sorry if I was selfish in wanting them to be around longer. I’m tearing up a bit (again - good thing it’s allergy time for me, I can pass it off as that at work), and sending you my deepest sympathy and best wishes.

I don’t know about you, Mermaid, but after having to put to sleep my 6-month old puppy who had been hit by a car and paralyzed, I became very depressed and sincerely doubted the wisdom of having pets and becoming so emotionally attached to them. A friend of mine sent me this quote:

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." - Irving Townsend

Time does heal, if not completely, and we do it all over again.

{{{{{Mermaid}}}}}

crying to hard to talk

They did my rabbit & sent me a card later. It cost $18.00. You can choose to be with your pet or not. They give you a simple form to complete & then you can either stay or go. One time we did the Basset hound in the car, that seemed to be one of her favorite places.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Oh, Mermaid. I’m so sorry.

My mother’s bunny died last night, probably from natural causes. Mom’s still in the rehab facility until tomorrow morning from her knee surgery. I had to tell her earlier tonight what happened. It’s one of the hardest things, when pets die. Especially pets that are practically our children.

I hope Lou baby gets to run and leap and chase spirit squirrels in a great golden meadow for the rest of time.

jayjay

We have all been through this before. If you own an animal you owe it a duty to give it a decent full life and a quick and painless death. You have done the right thing. Many of us know that your grief at this is real. Perhaps you can take solace in being reassured that you have done your duty.