Attention RollerCoaster Tycoon Fans: RCT2 Is Almost Here!

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 is almost here! RCT2 has officially gone Gold and will be in stores around mid-October!

I have been a RCT fanatic ever since the original was released in the spring of 1999. The game is incredibly fun, brilliant in it’s simplicity, yet deceptively complex, and is such a wonderful canvas for expressing creativity. You design the layout of the park. You design the buildings. You design the rollercoasters. You beautify the park with a myriad of scenary options. All of this while micro-managing peeps (i.e. make sure they are happy!). The most fun I have ever had with any game was when I designed and constructed Florida DisneySea. Man was that something!. Chris Sawyer created a masterpiece with this game IMHO.

And now we have RCT2 upon us! This game enhances and expands on the original (and add-on packs) like none I have ever seen! Take a look at what we have to look forward to:

Screenshots

GENERAL ENHANCEMENTS

1. New Scenario Editor and Rollercoaster Designer
  2. Everything new adds a lot to park design, customization, and creativity
  3. Rides now can be built 400ft high, double the original 200ft
  4. Map size can now go up to 256x256, double the original 128x128
  5. A lot more guests in huge parks such as “2776 guests in magic mountain”
  6. Scenarios broken down into difficulty levels
  7. 3 beginner, 7 challenging, 5 expert, a few new tutorials, six flags parks are pretty difficult because they are real, created/downloaded scenarios
  8. Need to purchase real estate more often in RCT2 to expand park to build new rides
  9. Better guest AI, they know more about park, are a lot smarter, etc.
  10. Can make food courts for guests, it works
  11. Select scenario screen shows description and objectives of each scenario
  12. Ride research incorporated into ride menu
  13. Finances are now in main park menu (the menu that shows park rating and where park entrance is)
  14. Peeps can now walk on doublewide/triplewide/etc. paths.
  15. You can see every ride each guest has rode, and which ride was their favorite by clicking on the guest and going to their rides tab.
  16. Peeps now stop and look at rides.
  17. Medical Assistants
  18. Move mouse cursor over persons, it shows name and what they’re doing above their head (Ashley, walking…is example)
  19. Can keep track of all guests and stuff about them easier
  20. Easier pop down menus in theming and ride menus to see all your options
  21. TV’s can be placed in ride lines to entertain guests

NEW OBJECTIVE EXAMPLE

Lucky Lake: Unlimited funds/challenging lake

1. Have 2,100 guests in park/dont let park rating drop below 700

NEW RIDE TABS

1. After you click on a ride, you can see new wrench and music tabs
  2. After you click on a ride, above construct button, theres green blob with a stick (maybe coaster designer opener)

SCENARIO EDITOR

1. You can pick scenario group your scenario will go in (begginer, challening, etc.)
  2. Choose objectives–such as monthly income from ride tickets
  3. Pick climate
  4. You might be able to place multiple entrances (if not, you can place still place one entrance)
  5. You can place park land boundaires, which land can be bought
  6. Choose ride vehicles, types of footpaths
  7. Choose where guests come from on the map before they enter the park
  8. Chris Sawyer used it, so everything needed is in it. You can make awesome parks like the six flags parks
  9. Can basically make sandbox mode: make unlimited time to meet objectives, unlimited money, all rides unlocked, no boundaries, etc.
  10. Can choose interest rate, loan, and how guests feel for the beginning of scenario
  11. You can choose available/researchable rides, and shops
  12. You can make the terrain and choose victory conditions
  13. Can check off rides you dont want people to be able to build
  14. You can choose starting money

ROLLERCOASTER DESIGNER

1. Brings you out of scenario to make coasters
  2. You can attach scenery to the ride, and save it, then bring it into scenario
  3. No need to worry about park at all, nothing is happening, but you making the ride, time doesnt go by, no park problems happen
  4. Monitor ride while making it such as vertical g’s

NEW TYPES OF THEMING

6 new themes, old themes completed

1. Pirates
  2. Wild West
  3. Candy
  4. Sports
  5. Giant Garden
  6. Indian
  7. I have also noticed a Factory/Gears theme, which would make 7 new themes, so some of the above scenery might be combined as one.

SCENERY

1. Rides go through scenery
  2. Stack objects with shift key, raise and lower/bury objects with shift key also. Can raise objects on supports without having land right under them.
  3. Can make buildings by stacking walls, roofs, and placing windows
  4. Can color more pieces, lakes, walls, etc.
  5. Better terraforming/can level terrain easier (new bouldozer button)
  6. Remove trees in certain areas
  7. Place trees in chunks
  8. Paths can have covers to protect people from rain
  9. Ride name signs can be attached to stations/nearby areas
  10. Cogs, smocking chimneys
  11. Better water detail
  12. Blocky lands and hills are gone, more smooth and real looking slopes and themed ground transitions, everything will look less blocky
  13. Waterfalls
  14. New dark green line color (maybe you can pick your own color for lines now)
  15. Stairs
  16. New footpaths/support theming
  17. Water fountains can now be placed on land also
  18. Sideways shooting fountains
  19. Double/triple/etc. wide footpaths that ai follows
  20. Footpaths dont need to touch, can be on squares next to eachother and not connect (good for placing ride lines that always connect to everything and its annoying)
  21. Water tornado
  22. New trees
  23. Themeable park entrance
  24. More theme matched entertainers (cowboy for wild wild west)
  25. Can put enough theming around park entrance to make it huge and cool (such as the castle park scenario, it has huge castle doors for park entrance)
  26. Loads of new fencing (with themes)
  27. Theme whole rides with weird objects (shown in log flume and soap box derby screenshots)
  28. Signs on coasters (top of hills such as dont stand up)
  29. New double gate park entrance shown at one of the six flags parks
  30. Roof over entire rides (shown in carousel screenshot)
  31. More colors hopefully/music
  32. New land/cliff face colors (wild west has like gray ground in the screenshot)
  33. New sand texture.
  34. Ability to build themed tunnels around rides.
  35. New palm tree, many other trees.
  36. Change color of path supports.
  37. Fences on bridges.
  38. Diagonal buildings.
  39. New wall textures.
  40. More ground textures.
  41. Scenery does not have to be placed on flat land & it can be raised.
  42. Picnic Table

NEW SHOPS/STALLS

1. Medical Center
  2. ATM Machines
  3. New Ice-cream Stall Look (unless themeable)
  4. New Coffee Stall Look (unless themeable)
  5. New Lemonade Stand Look (unless themeable)
  6. Themeable Bathroom (Normal, Wooden, Maybe More)
  7. Pretzel stall
  8. Beef noodle stand
  9. Cookie stall
  10. Chicken nugget stall
  11. Chip shop
  12. Cookie shop

NON-COASTER RIDES/ENHANCEMENTS

1. Monster truck mini cars
  2. Speed bump things on mini cars
  3. Steep hills and drops on mini cars
  4. Magic carpet ride
  5. Splash boats
  6. Cheshire cat ride (what is it??)
  7. Dinghy slide (what is it??)
  8. Double deck observation tower
  9. Soap box derby racers
  10. Log flume on-ride photo
  11. Snow cups (tea cups)(hopefully themeable, hopefully more rides are themeable also)
  12. Ski lift chairs for skilift (ski ride??)

NEW COASTER ENHANCEMENTS

1. 90 degree drops
  2. More freedom, stuff only certain rides could do in original can be done in more rides (such as 90 degree drops in verticle coaster can now be done in many other coasters)
  3. Mine train on metal track
  4. Dropped bank slopes
  5. Customizable/more real coaster supports
  6. Backwards uplift on suspended coasters (like on boomerang)
  7. Rollercoaster verticle loops can be done from a straight track, you no longer need to go up 1 piece, then do the loop, then down 1 piece. This allowes you to have touching verticle loops
  8. Steeper lift hills
  9. Faster lift hills
  10. New Arrow looping trains.
  11. Proper spiral lifts on steel mini.
  12. New trains on steel mini.
  13. LIM launched mine train.
  14. Block brake system.
  15. Twisting vertical drops on steel twister.
  16. New top hat element on steel twister.
  17. New spinning cars on steel wild mouse.
  18. Suspended Floorless trains.
  19. Stairs on lift hills.
  20. Improved coaster design.
  21. Higher Reverse Free Fall coasters.
  22. New Premier trains & track.
  23. Premier track can do big cobra rolls & top hats.
  24. Walkways on brake runs.
  25. Duel stations for log flume.
  26. New trains on monorail.
  27. New trams on railway track.
  28. Transfer Track
  29. Twisting vertical drops
  30. Seperate loading and unloading platforms
  31. Better transitions between track segments

NEW ROLLERCOASTERS

1. 25 new coaster types (some old kinds combined and tweaked and renamed)
  2. 25 Six Flags Track designs including Viper, Titan, and Goliath
  3. 4D Coaster
  4. Stand-up twister coaster
  5. Suspended swing coaster
  6. Suspended swinging coaster (floorless)
  7. Steel bobsled coaster
  8. Air powered vertical coaster
  9. Bobsleigh coaster
  10. Compact inverted coaster
  11. Spinning wild mouse
  12. Spiral rollercoaster
  13. Arrow 4D.
  14. Giovanola Hyper.
  15. Intamin Impulse.
  16. Intamin box track.
  17. Intamin Hyper coaster trains.
  18. Intamin Impulse Trains.
  19. Intamin Mega/Giga Coasters
  20. Intamin Looper
  21. G-Tech Hyper Coaster
  22. Priemer LIM Bowl
  23. Arrow Hyper
  24. Schwarzkopf Jet Star
  25. Arrow 4D
  26. B&M Flyer
  27. Vekoma Swinging Floorless
  28. Reverchon Mouse
  29. Mack Mine Train

TRANSPORTS

1. Better monorail (new vehicle used)
  2. Trams
  3. Trams dont need to go from station to station like stream trains

PERSPECTIVE

1. Supports 1024x768 resolution
  2. Same look and feel from first game
  3. Lots of new animated pieces and better animations on rides(a lot better)
  4. Same interface
  5. When placing rides, you can see a white blueprint of what the ride looks like, so you can tell what scenery it will cut through, and sorta what it would look like. You can also tell easier why you cant build the ride if it says you cant.
  6. Those annoying alerts for broken down rides can be viewed when you click on rides (might need to choose this in options, cause you’d never know when rides break down, but oh well. Its less annoying and the mechanics can fix them anyways)
  7. Drops, air time, and inversions are shown when making ride
  8. Space required to build rides is shown when building rides (exp: 24x16)
  9. Can make secondary scenery transparent
  10. Can make certain types of rides transparent
  11. Can make other things transparent also
  12. Easier transparent layout, months and money are transparent green and looks more refreshing
  13. Click anywhere on screen (might need to turn this on in options, could be annoying if you dont mean too. But then again, it could just be if you right click)
  14. Game looks more beautiful overall, more colorful (new engine)
  15. Park Map is keyed into colored blocks (rides/food/drinks/souvenir/info/first aid/atm/toilets included)

Best game ever!

I was hoping for more realistic mishaps, such as a crashing coaster taking out other rides and buildings and more graphic motion sickness. I understand that this is not really meant to be the focus of the game though.

-fh

LOL hazel-rah! What exploding coasters and peeps puking on paths isn’t enough for you? :wink:

RCT2 does have First Aid stations, and at this point no one is quite sure what that means in terms of additions to the game. Most believe this means that peeps will now receive several different types of injuries (sore necks, minor abrasions, motion sickness, etc.) which will require them to take a trip to the First Aid station. Can peeps receive more serious injuries? Broken limbs? Concussions? We will have to wait and see. :wink:

Hazel, remember the first time you built that dinghy ride (which BTW is the only unrealistic ride in the game) and it flew off a hill and exploded in mid-air? LMAO! I about died of laughter when I saw that!

:slight_smile:

all that…and they couldn’t include a sandbox mode :frowning:

Whoa!!! Now this is THE Ultimate Sim Coaster!!

Any word on Lord of the Rail Sim Chris Sawyer doing Transport Tycoon 2?

Yeah I was a little perplexed by that as well. It appears that the new Scenario Editor will have to be used to create your own Sandbox Mode. Create an easy scenario, jack up the funds, and unlock all rides/scenary-- BAM! Sandbox Mode. :wink:

The game also has a Coaster Designer Mode where you design/create coasters outside of a game. Once the coaster is complete you can import it into any park. :slight_smile:

Fingolfin, you magnificent bastard. Where did you find all this info? I knew a new version was coming out, but I couldn’t find any useful information beyond “more coasters, more places to eat” I am so psyched for this game.

Whoa! How’d that happen?

Note to the next Mod who happens by: can you please fix that mess?

Is a sandbox like a workbench? In ZT you get a zoo with say 10,000,000 in funds if you download a workbench (there’s a file to unlock everything in every one of you games, so that part is different, anyway). I wonder why I didn’t hear a word about a sequel before now. Makes me hope that maybe there’s a creatures 4 in the works that I haven’t heard about either. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sandbox would be flat land, no funds necessary, and everything buildable already available. I really want one so I can rebuild Opryland and run it well the way Gaylord couldn’t.

RCT2 will have a Sandbox Mode via the Scenario Editor: Unlimited funds, flat land, all rides/scenary, and much more. :wink:

BTW, the original RCT had a Sandbox Mode as well, well sort of. You had to download the Drexler Patch and one of the good Trainers. Chris Sawyer kept putting in “Anit-Cheat” code in each add-on pack to fight the Sandbox Mode and other third-party enhancements, but within weeks the Drexler Patch and the good Trainers came out with releases that disabled it. :wink: Chris had a big chip on his shoulder about “cheating” in single-player, creative games. He didn’t believe in Sandbox Mode, not sure why. Looks like now he has finally gave in.

RCT2 will have a Sandbox Mode via the Scenario Editor: Unlimited funds, flat land, all rides/scenary, and much more. :wink:

BTW, the original RCT had a Sandbox Mode as well, well sort of. You had to download the Drexler Patch and one of the good Trainers. Chris Sawyer kept putting in “Anit-Cheat” code in each add-on pack to fight the Sandbox Mode and other third-party enhancements, but within weeks the Drexler Patch and the good Trainers came out with releases that disabled it. :wink: Chris had a big chip on his shoulder about “cheating” in single-player, creative games. He didn’t believe in Sandbox Mode, it was all about the Scenarios, not sure why. Looks like now he has finally gave in.

Sigh…what are the system requirements? I’ve already bought a PS2 since this P3-450 isn’t cutting it anymore, even with a new video card and more RAM. I think RCT2 and Sim City 4 are two killer apps I’m just going to miss out on.

Neverwinter Nights is supposed to run on a P2-450 but refused my P3-450. YMMV.

Sorry Hugh, I can’t reveal my sources. If I did, I’d have to kill ya. :wink:

Most of the info was discovered by examining the screenshots that have been released. Additional info was given by Chris Sawyer and his crew, as well as through the official website.

A new ride was recently brought to my attention, one that I didn’t see before: An underwater sub ride! You can see it in this screenshot. The blue object in the water in the upper left hand side. O man, now by new and improved Florida DisneySea park is going to be sooooo sweat! :slight_smile:

In regards to the systems requirements, the minimum requirements listed above will work, but you try to view a large park with lots of objects/rides/peeps, particularly the new 256x256 map, you system will slow to a crawl. To view large, packed parks you should really something 128MB or more. Processor speed won’t make a big difference either way (unless you are running an ancient computer). RAM is biggest factor in increasing performance.

Also, it looks like to game will be out in the first week of October, not the second week.

[drools]

:slight_smile: