Schoolhouse Rock "I'm Just a Bill" singer

Who was the guy who sang “I’m Just a Bill” and “Conjunction Junction” (and maybe other Schoolhouse Rocks, too)

Was it him singing in the Schoolhouse Rock spoofs done on The Simpsons and Johnny Bravo? It sure as hell sounded like him. If not, man, what great imitations!

Just out of curiosity, is he black? (If you feel the need to ask “what does his race matter?” the answer is “it doesn’t, I’m just curious. OK?”)

The singer in question is Jack Sheldon. He did the “Amendment-to-be” spoof on the Simpsons. I don’t know his race.

Paging Ukulele Ike. Paging Saxface. Jazz question in General Questions. Please tell us a neat story about Jack Sheldon .

Change Your Password, Please and don’t use HTML, as it has been disabled, but you can learn about superscripts here

The guy’s name is Jack Sheldon. I don’t think he’s the Johnny Bravo voice, though.

Judging from the picture on this site, he appears to be white. There’s also a pretty thorough biography. Enjoy!

God is my co-pilot. Blame Him.

Not too long ago (5 yrs?) he did a commercial or two for All laundry detergent.

“The stain lifter, that’s All.”

I believe that All commercial jingle was by Leon Redbone.

“What we have here is failure to communicate.” – Strother Martin, anticipating the Internet.

www.sff.net/people/rothman

Well, hell, manhattan. That website link you provided pretty much tells the whole Jack Sheldon story.

The best I can do is a little dull jazz buff trivia, coutesy of my daughter’s copy of Schoolhouse Rock: The Official Guide:

“Conjunction Junction” and “I’m Just a Bill” were recorded in Los Angeles on the same day in 1972 or '73…Sheldon played the trumpet part as well as doing the vocals.

The backup band included a couple guys who were just HUGE in the 1950s L.A. jazz scene…the two names I recognize are Teddy Edwards on tenor saxophone, and Leroy Vinnegar on bass. Edwards is often credited with being the first guy to play bebop on the tenor.

He and Vinnegar were probably pretty damn happy to have the paycheck, too; 1972 was some lean times for jazz musicians. Sheldon probably got meat twice a week because of that Merv Griffin gig of his…

Uke

“Figure Eight” was sung by Blossom Dearie, a fairly well-known and respected jazz singer.

“The dawn of a new era is felt and not measured.” Walter Lord

Sheldon’s still writing and performing; he guested on “Prairie Home Companion” last season.

I’m a loner, Dottie … a rebel.

I believe that Blossom Dearie also did the vocal for “Unpack Your Adjectives.”

Uke

Jack Sheldon also sang the tale of Mr. Morton, arguably one of schoolhouse Rock’s finest. Jack Sheldon was the subject of the sentence… :slight_smile:

Bob Cranshaw was the bassist for a lot of them . . . and Bob Dorough (a singer in the Mose Allison mode) wrote some of the songs and vocalized as well.

Here’s the Schoolhouse Rock story: Schoolhouse Rock

your humble TubaDiva
who was always partial to “Interjections!”

His Official Website says he did both.

As someone who bought the complete Schoolhouse Rock collection on DVD, I can say the people who produced “I’m Just a Bill” were extremely flattered by “The Simpsons” spoof. It was in the director’s commentary version.

Bob Dorough wrote “Lolly, Lolly, Get your Adverbs Here” and sung it as well, but the producers, who were getting tired of hearing his voice a lot decided to speed it up to give it a different sound and to gently poke fun at the guy. It turned out to be a master stroke.

“Conjunction Junction’s” jumpy animation, which appears to be, synched with the music is just the result of the producers not having enough money to animate the whole cartoon fully.

Wow, the question gets wrapped up, two and a half years later! Thanks Jeff!

crap.

Jack Sheldon is white.

Bob Dorough has sung the most Schoolhouse Rock songs, but Jack is a second. Here’s the songs he did the lead vocal on:
Conjunction Junction, The Tale of Mr. Morton, I’m Just a Bill, The Energy Blues, Them Not-So-Dry Bones, Where the Money Goes, and I’m Gonna Send Your Vote to College (a new short which appears on the DVD.) In addition, he backed up Dorough on Busy Prepositions and The Body Machine and one of four singers that are part of Mother Necessity.