The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Most Annoying Commercials, part ??

So many are annoying, it's hard to know where to start, but recently several new ones are really grating on me:

1. The new Nextel cellphone ads. These are the ones where they show a marriage being conducted over the cell phones--the couple and the minister all saying abbreviated vows via phone. Another version shows a very abbreviated version of Romeo and Juliet -on stage- but via cell phone. Yet another shows a meeting, all staff together in the same conference room, yet conversing on their cell phones. GAH!

2. One of the cell phones that has picture capability (I can't remember for certain which one it is, sorry)--it shows the cell phone user taking pictures of other people -without their knowledge- then transmitting the picture to someone else. Um, if that's not illegal it is without a doubt -very- rude.

3. And one "oldie but goodie" - the Geico ads, especially the one that shows the lawyer meeting his client in jail; he's talking on his cell phone (and you've got to wonder how he's getting reception inside the jail, eh? ), then after he hangs up, he tells the client, "Good news!" to which the criminal responds, "I'm getting out?" "No, I just saved 15% on my insurance with Geico! Sorry bub, you're up the river ..." Well, he doesn't say that last, but that's the implication. Annoying! I keep wanting to see the other person smack them. Plus, what's even -more- annoying is that the 15% you save on Geico doesn't really amount to very much, especially when Geico will cancel your insurance after you have an accident (or so I've been told--many friends who have had Geico have been very disappointed in their coverage).

Anyone else want to add, feel free to do so!
Advertisements  
Old 10-04-2003, 05:27 PM

Chewing sounds! Nothing annoys me more than chewing sounds. If anyone here enjoys hearing chewing sounds coming over the TV, I'd really like to know.

The guy who was raised by wolves and it shows him nursing on a wolf. Very, very gross. There's another version where mother wolf and siblings are licking his face, that's kind of cute.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:41 PM

A Certain automaker blaming their, ahem, passae' designs on one of the truly brilliant automotive stylists.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:32 PM

I haven't watch tv since last semester but the worst commercial ever is that cellphone text messaging one where the white guy's ethnic friend tells him 'don't trip' and the girl literally trips. I swear I saw it 500 times.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:36 PM

All of them.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

All ads for medicines, laxatives, adult diapers.

Those annoying Old Navy ads with the has-been stars.

Can you hear me now?

And this local furniture place that relentlessly advertises day in and day out with this woman I refer to as "Flicka" whinnying about how you can buy $10,000 worth of their crappy overpriced matchstick and glue crap for nothing down and pay nothing until (pick a year, since these ads just keep on rolling dayinanddayout) and then it's "Christmas in July" and I just want to slit my wrists and learn how to make mail bombs, goddamnittohellwhycantthey leavemealone and it just keeps goingdayinanddayoutanddayinanddayout...!!!!

What....what're you all looking at?
Old 10-04-2003, 09:23 PM
BANNED

Anything with small-sized versions of regular-sized food that presents the small-sized food as having been birthed from the regular-sized food. Oh please, feed me the product of your foody sex.

The nastiest of this genre has to be for the ball-shaped candies where in the commercial the full-sized peanut butter cup or candy bar grunts and groans and then expels the balls. Put me off candy forever. Ew.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:38 PM

In the NYC city area: The Vinokur furniture commercial where the greasy slob keeps on screaming, "We've got EVERYTHING..."

...or anything relating to feminine hygiene. I expect any day now we'll be seeing a commercial where those adjustable flaps fit so snugly over a menstruating pudenda while the model mixes a cocktail of green-apple douche.

Oh, for a large sock filled with manure....
Old 10-05-2003, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

I just tonight saw the Quiznos commercial ("Were you raised by wolves?" "Why yes... I was ... hmmmm.") where wolfguy is suckling at the mother wolf--GROSS! I do think the one where the wolves are licking him is cute, though. I explained to my daughter that the guy is thinking back to his childhood, but she says, "Mom, he's a grown up, and in the same suit!"

There's a furniture store in the area called "Sticks and Stuff" (not sure if this is part of a chain, although their ads purport to have a race car with a female driver!); their ads always prompt me to wonder -why- they would choose that name. I mean, my first thought is "Oh yeah, that's probably what the furniture turns into within 6 months--sticks and stuff!"
Old 10-05-2003, 08:28 AM

one I really hate is the ad for the final fasntasy tactics game where therre are characters waiting to take your call. I don't like that kid thast threatens to get irritable. He makes me irritable.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:07 AM

I also despise that "don't trip" text messaging commercial and the Final Fantasy one.

I really hate the McDonalds McGriddles commercial with Carleton in it where some old lady fights a bunch of guys. It makes me mad because I really like Carleton.

And that Kikoman commercial where the mom calls her kids to come to dinner and then they fly.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I especially hate any commercial narrated by that announcer who talks in a patronizing monotone. I don't know the name of this guy. And why the Hell is he so suddenly popular? Anyway, 2 "catch phrases" should make you realize to whom I'm referring:
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp "Sears. Where else?"
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp "Cheez-It. Get your own box."

I think all message board dopers would agree that this guy deserves a serious beating.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm visiting the 'rents in Buffalo right now. I swear to God, Buffalo has the worst locally produced commercials of any metropolitan area in the United States. About 95% of all local commercials fall into one of the following categories:

1) Personal injury attorneys. Seems like half of Buffalo's workers are on disability, judging from the frequency of these commercials.

2) Italian-American auto dealers who talk and act like they're Sopranos cast members.

3) Anything with a cheesy soft jingle, performed by subpar studio musicians. You even hear jingles for businesses that shouldn't have them, like ...

"Niaaaagara Colostomy Supplyyyyy ...
We caaaare a-bout youuuuu!"

or ...

"We're theeeere when you need uuuuus ...
Frontieeeeer Cane and Walkeeeeeer!"
Old 10-05-2003, 12:32 PM

Those Dell commercials with the interns. Especially the one that ends with the white guy playing with the light switch. I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Also, there's this furniture store commercial that my local cable provider plays where the guy announces a Fourth of July sale. It's been playing since the Fourth of July. Why won't they get rid of it?!?
Old 10-05-2003, 12:35 PM

Any and all locally-produced radio commercials.

Ugh. Eww. Blech.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:00 PM

a lot of stupid local commercials fit the third category of elmwood's post. Just about every eye clinic in my town has a stupid jingle. Even a medical supply store and a uniform store have one.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

There's a commercial trying to get people to sell their timeshares. "You can sell your timeshare for cash!"

The thing that drives me nuts is that the voiceover guy sounds as if he's being strangled when he says "cash". I suppose he thinks it's supposed to sound "awesome". I sometimes wish he were being strangled, just so he'd stop.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and speaking of trying to sound cool, California gubernatoria candidate has an ad slamming Arnold Schwarzenegger. "He lives on Planet Hollywoooooood." Oh, yeah. That's so cool.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:33 PM

My 5 year old daughter saw the Quizno's with the licking, not the nursing. She asked me if that was true. I explain about commercials. She didn't say anything, but she looked as if she was sure it was fake. She looked pleased she knew it wasn't true, but the look on her face was if to say, "raised by wolves would be cool", & "Is there any way I can still get in on that deal?"

I got disgusted at a Papa Murphy's ad last night. We were all watching "Lilo & Stich". The ad is pushing new pizzas with braided crusts, "special" spices. They mentioned women in the context. So these must be chick pizzas. The part I really didn't like, a woman is looking to the side, you can't see what she sees, and she says "holy ____". Maybe not "holy", she said a word & then was bleeped & a black rectangle appeared over her mouth. I'm just disappointed they couldn't find another way to sell these.

My kids didn't ask about that ad, I'm hoping if I see again, I can put a good spin on it, but on first viewing it was off-putting. I liked the A&W "Dumas" ads, & liked that didn't seem to show those during prime time.

Interestingly, after the kids were in bed & "Lilo & Stich" was over, they ran a short announcement that L.A. Dragnet was TV-14 to make sure you knew what you were watching.
My fault for letting the kids watch Disney. I did like the ad during the movie for the new Disney "Brother Bear". I won't discuss it in case you want to avoid knowing about the movie, except to say Bob & Doug Mackenzie as animated moose are funny!
Old 10-05-2003, 02:54 PM

Whoever makes those friggin' Arby's oven mitt commercials needs to be beaten.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:06 PM

A local "Liquor/Cigarette Discount" chain company I used to work for, has this commercial that airs here, and I have to admit that I never really payed attention to it until recently.

First...the owner's daughter is appearing in this commercial dressed as a chicken in a bathing suit, and acts kinda like Vanna White, showcasing the different booze they have to offer in this store, while saying "cheap cheap" and then other times saying "cheap cheap, fun fun"..kinda cute...but very annoying after awhile.
Okay...now we get to see the owner in this too, as he's telling you all the things you can find there at this store, blah blah blah...
This is the part the really annoys me, he states to the viewers...

"Size really does matter!"

and this is my favorite *rolling of eyes here*

"And remember guys, the more she drinks, the better you look!"

I know it's supposed to be cute ...yeah what ever, but to me its demeaning to BOTH men and women. The men that have "size issues", and women in genral.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:18 PM

The Mc Donald commercials drive me insane
Old 10-05-2003, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elmwood
I'm visiting the 'rents in Buffalo right now. I swear to God, Buffalo has the worst locally produced commercials of any metropolitan area in the United States. About 95% of all local commercials fall into one of the following categories:

1) Personal injury attorneys. Seems like half of Buffalo's workers are on disability, judging from the frequency of these commercials.

2) Italian-American auto dealers who talk and act like they're Sopranos cast members.

3) Anything with a cheesy soft jingle, performed by subpar studio musicians. You even hear jingles for businesses that shouldn't have them, like ...

"Niaaaagara Colostomy Supplyyyyy ...
We caaaare a-bout youuuuu!"

or ...

"We're theeeere when you need uuuuus ...
Frontieeeeer Cane and Walkeeeeeer!"
Ever here the "HUUUUGE", guy? Fucciello Chevrolet?

Haha
Old 10-05-2003, 07:11 PM

hear*
Old 10-05-2003, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by store-clerk-slacker
A local "Liquor/Cigarette Discount" chain...
Dirt Cheap Cigarettes and Liquor!

My favorite part is the owner's claim that Dirt Cheap brand beer is "perfect for every occasion." Each can has a picture of the flippin' chicken in a bathing suit on it! What occasion is that perfect for?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:05 PM

And the "house" brand beer at Dirt Cheap smells soooo bad!!!!

We were moving beer into the cooler one day, and somehow the dolly had spliced open a few cans on one of the rows, beer went spraying everywhere, smelled like nasty gym socks.

So after that when people would come in and ask us what the "Dirt Cheap" beer tasted like, or where it was made...we would tell them that Fred (Owner) made from the same water that he washed his socks in, and would just strain it to get the lint out right into the can.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:24 PM

Lately there has been a commercial for some sleazebag lawyer who talks about how he will preventing drunk drivers from losing their license. This is just plain sickening!
Old 10-06-2003, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MyFootsZZZ
Ever here the "HUUUUGE", guy? Fucciello Chevrolet?

Haha
Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhh! I have to hit "mute" as soon as they come on. I can't stand them! And we have three Fucillo dealerships in the capital district (NY)--Schenectady, East Greenbush and Amsterdam, so we have three times the HUUUU-JA!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:00 AM

I don't know how widespread this ad is, (I'm not sure if it's a chain, but it's definitely not national or anything) but it's a mattress store, and it just goes on and on like any other commercial but then at the very end, the owner screams in this really obnoxious, high-pitched voice: Sit'n'Sleep'llbeatanyone'sadvertisedpriceoryour mattress is FREE!!!

I swear I can remember seeing that commercial as early as the late 60's, which is especially amazing considering that I'm only 16. Seriously, that's how annoying this commercial is.

Any McDonald's ad for the last few years ...at least. I remember some radio ads ("...because today, you won, because today, you didn't...") and then one with that song "I saw the sign..." about the sign with all their low prices posted on it, and the new ones with the hip-hop music.

Robbin's Brothers. 'Nuff said.

Just today I saw some Nissan commercial that went on and on about... Well, take a guess. Do you think it was the engine, or the radio, or the comfortable seats, or even the low price? No, this was a commercial all about how functional and stylistic and awesome were... the tail lights. If the best feature of this car is its tail lights, do I really want it?

I'm sure I'll think of some more soon...
Old 10-06-2003, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by store-clerk-slacker
The men that have "size issues", and women in genral.
Or humanity in general, really.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:48 AM

TJdude825: Your hunch about the Nissan is probably correct. Keep this in mind the next time you're watching a car commercial: if shots of people having fun get more screen time than the car itself, be wary. This means that the car is boring and uninspired.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:54 PM

I hate the commercials on the radio for Nokia/Sprint/Nextel that give you a sample of what the ring on their phone sounds like. Because it's not annoying enough to hear cell phones buzzing around me at work, in restaurants, in movies, in stores, etc that I have to listen to those insipid tones on the radio, too. I have to turn down the volume as soon as I hear them or my blood pressure starts going up.
"You don't sound like you're very happy! I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs! It's the little critters of nature! They don't know that they're ugly! That's very funny! A fly marrying a bumblebee! I told ya I'd shoot, but ya didn't believe me! WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME!!!"