How did God create light before the Sun?

I just read a sermon for children that brought up a point I never thought about: In the book of Genesis, God created light two days before He created the sun and moon. So, where did the light come from?

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: The OP and the next 47 posts are from the year 2000, revived in Post #48. If you want to respond, be aware that some of the posters here may no longer be around, or even have forgot that they posted to this thread (as I did.) – CKDH

I believe it means that Jesus was the light of the world, and, well, radiated enough light for God to see what He was doing.

He had a flashlight. Silly.

–It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

Actually it was three days.

Bottom line is… if we are dealing with an all-powerful God, so what is the difficulty? You could ask the same question concerning the creation of plants (third day) before the sun (fourth). If God is all powerful, then God can do what He wants to, even if it means creating light before the sun.

Zev Steinhardt

The light before the Sun was the Big Bang.

Wrong thinking is punished, right thinking is just as swiftly rewarded. You’ll find it an effective combination.

Soup said:
In the book of Genesis, God created light two days before He created the sun and moon.

Well, technically, the moon does not emit light.

And, there are plants that don’t need light (such as yeast.

There are manny sources of light other than the fusuion of hydrogen atoms. It could not have been a flashlight, though, because the Energizer Bunny wasn’t created until the 5th day.

There are more light sources than the sun.

Just gotta laugh, I do, I do.

I sold my soul to Satan for a dollar. I got it in the mail.

Quote:
“I believe it means that Jesus was the light of the world, and, well, radiated enough light for God to see what He was doing.”

I sometimes think the same thing. One Creationist theory is that the light came from electrons falling into place around nuclei as God created the material (elements) to make the universe.

AWB - You might be right. I know I read somewhere that scientists believe the Universe consisted of glowing gases long before the stars and planets formed.

Surgoshan - Care to share the joke?

Every time I here a question even remotely dealing with religion I giggle. Especially when, as seems to be somewhat the case here, it’s argumentative. Issues like that will probably never be resolved. Ever.

I sold my soul to Satan for a dollar. I got it in the mail.

Well, it’s not so much a case of RESOLVING the issue (unless one of the original authors of the Bible would care to check in). I just thought it was an interesting anomoly (sp?) that someone could shed some light on (pun intended).
If the religious aspect makes one uncomfortable, look at it from a secular angle. There’s this science-fiction novel called “The Bible” in which the main character (God) creates a whole universe in a week. The odd thing is, he creates light before he creates any apparent source of the light. Is this a plot hole, or did the author do this to symbolize something? Or, did I just miss something?

I have heard explanations that posit that the description in Genesis is from the point of view of someone on earth. In this view, the original light (“Fiat lux!”) was indeed the sun, which lit the sky but was hidden by the cloud cover (the waters in the firmament). When the sun was “created” later on it was merely disclosed by the parting of the clouds. From an earth-dweller’s viewpoint the light was there before the sun.

I’m not saying this is my viewpoint and I’m not willing to debate the issue. But here’s one explanation which is more or less reasonable that meets the objection in the OP.

I’m a vegetarian once removed. I only eat meat from animals that are vegetarians.

the god created light before he created the heavens thing . . an urban legend.

Soup:

Well, if you’re the Primordial Soup, yes, I think you missed something. I wasn’t around so I ain’t got a clue.

I think the sun musta went out though, ‘cause there ain’t much light bein’ shed here. More like hair.

Actually, what happend was that light created God. . .and then God got the story all mixed up before he told his biographer. The other theory is that God got flashy before the Big Bang, when light went the other direction in time.

Ray (Theories @ 5¢ ea. Not guaranteed. Lucy lets me use her booth.)

Those who believe that every word of the Bible is literal truth pose answers such as some of the ones you’ve seen here: that the first light was divine radiance, or was the Big Bang, or the explosive light before the stars coalesced, of some thing. These folks have grand explanations to try to tie all the other bits of Genesis creation story to scientific explanations.

Those who believe that the Bible is a poetic expression, don’t much care. The notion of God as creator is beautifully expressed in “God said, Let there be light! and there was light.” There is a rhythm and pattern (far more so in the Hebrew original, but never mind) in the Genesis account, that creates mental and spiritual imagery that has Truth to it, even if not literal word-for-word truth.

Those who believe the Bible to be the work of human hands without any divine inspiration, of course, have no need for explanations, the ancient writers just didn’t know enough about how the universe was created (or even how it worked, like assuming the moon to be a source of light) and the Genesis creation myth has no more validity than the Greek or Egyptian creation myths.

That’s the overview in a nutshell.

my pastor had an entire sermon on this about two years ago. but for the life of me i can’t remember a word of it.
i’ll find out and post…unless someone posts something that sounds familliar first

I’m pink therefore I’m Spam

Which is why I don’t giggle when I see such questions crop up in GQ. They are asked to inspire debate, not generate factual answers. That is, unless you believe the Bible to be a strictly factual document, which I do not.

CKDex and I have gone 'round and 'round discussing the differences between a question entailing “factual” answers concerning Biblical “history” (for example) and those generating pure speculation and personal opinion. This question falls under the latter heading and hence heads to Great Debates.

After all, even the mighty Cecil himself does not attempt to explain the nature of God.

The light came from the OTHER sun of course.

It’s a source of never-ending amusement to hear people answer questions like this with, “God is all powerful. He can do whatever He wants.”

These are the same people who also assign attributes and limitations to God in the next breath:

God loves everyone.
God will punish the guilty.
God will reward the innocent.
God is merciful.
God is just.
God hates evil.
God loves piety.
God… Oh, heck. Why bother to continue? I can fill a page with this stuff.

Amusing?

It is to laugh.

I don’t have to do drugs to mess up my head. I went to Catholic school.