When going to the movies, always bring a school teacher

So, last night me and a bunch of friends went out to see the opening night of Return of the King. Great movie: I highly recommend it. There were seven of us, including my friend Jon, who is a highschool history teacher and football coach. He also plays semi-pro ball as a lineman. Jon is a big dude. And from now on, I’m bringing Jon to every movie I see.

Ya see, while RotK was fantastic, the audience was… less so. In particular, there was a group of teenagers sitting behind us who would. not. shut. up. Oh, sure, if there was a battle scene, they’d pipe down while their puny brains were overloaded with sensory input, but whenever the action slowed down, they’d start up again. The kid directly behind me was the worst. For the first twenty minutes of the movie, everytime there was a hobbit on the screen, he’d say, “They’re not hobbits, they’re dwarves!” Meaning, I think, real dwarves, not the bearded, ax-wielding, subterranean kind of dwarves. This guy was that special kind of moron who, when he says something he thinks is funny, has to repeat it over and over. Urgh. Then, during the Gray Havens scene (when they’re getting on the boat at the very end, if you haven’t read the books), he started again, although this time he said “midget” instead of “dwarf,” because I guess after three hours of watching Gimli, he finally got a clue that what he was saying didn’t make any fucking sense. Every time Gandalf had a scene with Merry, he’d call Gandalf “Michael Jordan.” Because he’s taller than Merry! Geddit? Short people are funny! Fuckin’ idiot. Did I mention he kept kicking my chair, too? Especially during the Shelob scene. Felt like he was having an epileptic fit. “Man, spiders CREEP ME OUT!” Jesus Christ, kid, it’s just a movie. Grow a pair.

Anyway, glares and shushes were given by people all around them, to limited effect. Finally, when the words, “The End” appeared on the screen, the applause died down, and the lights came on, Jon stood up, turned around, and got all school teacher on these kids’ asses. He gave 'em a world class reaming. Oh, man, it was great. Let’s see if I can reconstruct what he said. It was something like, “Thank you, you fucks, for talking through the entire damn movie! Did it ever occur to you that there were other people in this theater who paid to hear the movie, and not listen to you run your mouths like a pack of morons? I have never seen a bunch of more self-centered, selfish assholes in my life! You’re lucky I’m in such a good mood from seeing this movie, otherwise you might have really pissed me off!”

I tell ya, there were a lot of great scenes in the movie, but none of them compared to the terrified rictus grins on those kid’s faces. To say nothing of the nods and thumbs up and general growls of agreement from anyone who was sitting within two rows of these sonsabitches. If the little fuckers have brain one in their heads, next time they’re in a theater they’ll keep their mouths shut and their feet on the floor. To paraphrase the immortal words of Vincent Vega, it was almost worth them doing it, just to see them catch hell for it.

Amen.

But he waited till the movie was over?

Act sooner and enjoy the movie.

I am, sadly, too much of a lazy ass to get up and go tell a manager when a group of people (almost always teenagers) are disrupting a movie). But I’ve never before seen it go on for more than about ten minutes before the usher comes in and gives them an ominous, quiet ass-chewing. And it always more than makes up for the disturbance they caused.

Daniel

I’ve given the “Blessedwolf Stare of Death™” to far too many people in movie theatres. Teenagers, young adults, people with crying babies (in R-rated horror movies) who won’t take them out to the lobby, etc. Th eonly thing that keeps me from going to the manager and having them thrown in a vat of pudding is that…I don’t want to miss a minute of the movie. I mean, god-damn! I paid waaay too much for tickets (often too much even at the dollar theatre, but that’s my own damn fault for going to movies like The League of Extraordiary Gentlemen.) I’ll be damned if I get up off my lazy, now-broke ass–well, not broke…-but there’s a crack in it! See?-- to miss what might, for all I know, be the best parts of a movie.

Of course, that would make the rest of the flick watchable…so maybe I’ll stop bitching in hushed tones to my movie-going companrions, and start bitching to the manager.

I suggest Survivor™ style ejection seats. If a majority of your neighbours vote you off, pow! :smiley:

I was fortunate. I saw the Trilogy Tuesday evening with 434 other fans. Through all three movies, the people were dumbstruck. No kidding there weren’t 6 coughs though the whole thing. In the quiet moments, it was silent.

Best movie experience of my life.

I’m doing my best to start an urban legend that there’s a thousands-strong international secret society of vigilantes who follow inconsiderate movie-goers home from the theatre and murder them in their beds.

Actually, I’m doing my best to start a thousands-strong international secret society of vigilantes who follow inconsiderate movie-goers home from the theatre and murder them in their beds, but you can’t come right out and say stuff like that.

Whoops.

Yeah, nothing beats a death squad.

My line of reasoning is that, if urban legends can motivate the simple-minded of the world to collect pop-can tabs and postcards for kids with cancer, despite the best attempts to reason them out of it, one might be engineered to keep a few morons quiet for the occasional ninety-minute stretch, if only out of a carefully misguided sense of self-preservation.

No really, I’m months away from the thousands-strong force required to make this a success-- I’ve only got between 15 and 20 operatives working each major urban centre so far. So don’t tell anyone, okay? All those kids found strangled to death with their own shoelaces each weekend? Nothing to do with me, I swear.

Except batman, if he has a chance to prepare.

Sign me up, Larry Mudd. For the, you know cough UL mailing list cough.

Seriously, when will some enterprising theatre think of beepers for the ushers? For a small fee (maybe just a deposit) you can pick up a little push button device at the box office. When loudmouth jerks start up, simply press the button to summon an usher. You don’t miss a frame, the jerks are dealt with promptly.

Your friend Jon is my hero. I got a mostly great audience for Return of the King last night, but last year I made the mistake of waiting for the first Saturday to see the Two Towers. I wound up sitting right in front of a bunch of 12-year-old girls who were only there because of Orlando Bloom and felt no need to pay any attention to scenes he wasn’t in. They not only talked through the whole damn movie, but asked each other questions about the stuff they missed because they were talking. The deathstare got me a few minutes of blessed silence, but not enough.

I’ll welcome anything that gets people to shut the hell up during movies. Urban legends, usher pagers, ejection seats, tearing my seat off the floor and beating offenders over the head with it, anything.

This is precisely why I don’t go to large theaters anymore.

I haven’t seen RoTK yet. I’m going tomorrow night. It’s playing at the local theater in my small town. I love this place. Not only are the crowds better behaved but I also pay less for tickets than most people.

I was extremely lucky when I went to see The Two Towers. I decided to see it instead of clubbing on New Year’s Eve. My mother wanted to see it so I treated her. We went to the local theater. We were the only two there. We offered to leave so the owners (whom we’ve known for 20 years) could go home but they decided to watch it with us. Nothing like being treated to a private screening of a great film.

[school teachery reprimand voice]That’s “a bunch of friends and I”[/strv]

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Your teacher friend is a good man to have at a movie. I wish he’d been there when I saw Master and Commander last weekend. The man next to me kept telling his wife what various items on the ship were. I coughed a couple of times, but I didn’t really get in his face about it. There was a movie where I had to hush a couple of guys behind me who were talking and it did feel good.

We went to see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (because we too like pain) and had a bunch of very loud talkers up the back. One of them was effectively heckling, and not heckling because the film was bad, just carrying on. I can’t even remember about what. The audience was getting restless when a gentleman in front of me got up, and walked up the back to them. The loudmouth continued carrying on like a galoot, and eventually said “what, are you going to call the police? I ain’t leaving. You go ahead and call the police.” At which point our heroic gentleman flashed his badge and said "I am a policeman. Apparently he was off-duty. The loudmouth left the cinema and our off-duty policeman got a round of applause. Hell, that was more worth the price of admission than the film.

I believe in strict gun control laws. I do not believe that private citizens should be allowed to carry guns. I believe that concealed carry laws are dangerous for society. I am an anti-gun crusader. Michael Moore is my hero.

Want to change my mind on these things? You should probably do so while I’m in a movie theatre.

I’m writing colloquially. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve fortunately not encoutered talkers but I have had seat-kickers. I was slunk way down in my seat so the fool(s) couldn’t really judge my true size (6’2", ~300 pounds). I sat up at the end of the movie and heard this gasp from behind me. :slight_smile:

Best was when a bunch of us went to see Planet of the Apes (hey, shut up, a POTA fan paid for everyone’s tickets), there was one guy whose cell phone kept going off. Well, my buddy Scotty - who is 6’4" and over 300 lbs of mean-looking badassery - finally stood up, turned around in the general direction of the asshole, and bellowed: “TURN OFF THE FUCKING CELL PHONE!”

Got applause, he did.