Help With Songs About Money vs Love

Hey, I could use some help. Last night I got in a discussion with this friend of mine about what is more important in a marriage, love or money. Of course, I had to go with love, as I am smart enough to know that money does not bring happiness, although I will admit that it doesn’t hurt. She, on the other hand, insisted that financial security is more vital than strong feelings of love when it comes to keeping a marriage together, and that it is more pratical to marry for “convienence” than love without a “financial future”.
I told her that not everyone who is rich is happy, that most celebrities just piss and moan even though they have the “perfect” life, and that just having an average wage with a marriage built on love and honesty is what life is about.

So just to be funny, I am burning a CD for her that has a lot of songs that have to do with this topic, and I am hoping you guys can help me. I already know a couple that I am going to include. This is what I have so far.

1.Beatles - Can’t Buy Me Love
2. Pink Floyd - Money
3. Good Charlotte - Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous
4. Barenaked Ladies - If I had a Million Dollars
5. Beatles - All You Need is Love
6. Spin Doctors - Two Princes
7. Everclear - I will Buy you a new life
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
9. Blessed Union of Souls - Hey leonardo

At the end there I think maybe I was reaching, which is why I am consulting the Straight Dope message board geniuses. I’m sure I missed a few real good ones. I am thinking the Doors probably made some songs about this? And also if there are any country songs about this, which im sure there are, those would be good too since she likes country. Alright thanks.

Beatles – Money (which directly contradicts “Can’t Buy Me Love”*)
Beatles – You Never Give Me Your Money
Kinks – The Money-Go-Round
Kinks – Money and Corruption
Cabaret (Soundtrack) – Money (Makes the World Go Around)
B.B. King, Derek and the Dominoes, and many others: Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out

Anything by Johnny Cash or Johnny Paycheck. :wink:

*Yes, I know they didn’t write it. But it’s a nicer contrast if you use their version

Eagles - Lyin’ Eyes

If you want to annoy her, there’s that Jennifer Lopez song. The title escapes me but the refrain has a line that’s something like “love don’t cost a thing” … which is probably the title.

Can’t forget the classic, Gimme Some Money by Spinal Tap.

20 Questions by 50 Cent

Money Changes Everything, Cyndi Lauper

First I Look At The Purse – The Contours

Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend – Eartha Kitt (among many others)

I Who Have Nothing – Ben E. King

Brand New Cadillac – The Clash (among others)

For the Love of Money – The O’Jays (better known these days as the theme song to The Associates)

Money Money Money by Abba

The underrated “Love Over Gold” by Dire Straits.

Eighty Year Old Millionaire by Kirsty MacColl

Flying Lizards - Money, that’s what I want

“The best things in life are free, but you can give them to the birds and bees…I want money, thats what I want!”

“I Got Rhythm” - Gershwin and the answer to that song “More” - on the Dick Tracy soundtrack
“Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend” - Marilyn Monroe
“Money - That’s What I Want”
“I Want to Be Rich”

Randy Newman - It’s Money that I Love & It’s Money that Matters

Gwen Guthrie - Aint Nothing Going on but the Rent

Gilbert O Sullivan - Matrimony

The Air That I Breathe by Bread

Material Girl - Madonna

You got what it takes - Dave Clark 5, and later covered by Tom Jones

perhaps you are referring to the song originally released by Barrett Strong in 1960?

Santa Baby -Eartha Kitt

You got what it takes - Marv Johnson around 1959-60

Gershwin - "I Got Plenty O’ Nuttin’ " from Porgy and Bess

That was the Hollies.

I came to this thread to post that. Glad someone else considers it underrated. The entire album Telegraph Road is fantastic (and I hate Dire Straits normally).