The Gen'l. Slocum Dopefest Thread (June 12-13)

OK, I got the info from the Gen’l. Slocum Society:

During the weekend of June 12–13, 2004, a committee from the Maritime Industry Museum will run a weekend of events to celebrate the centennial of the Slocum disaster. The following events are tentatively planned and others may be added. At the present time, these include:

On Saturday the 12th, there will be an excursion boat ride tracing the ill fated voyage. There will be a continental breakfast as we travel from lower Manhattan up the East River to North Brother Island (where the General Slocum burned). The excursion will meet a flotilla of harbor craft for a wreath-laying ceremony over the site of the disaster before returning to Manhattan for a luncheon with speakers on the General Slocum Disaster.

On Sunday the 13th, a plaque will be dedicated at the Community Synagogue on East 6th Street. This was the former home of St. Marks Lutheran Church. The brief ceremony will be followed by a procession through the neighborhood to Tompkins Square Park, culminating at the monument dedicated to the children who died on the Slocum. All descendants of the victims, survivors, rescuers, etc. are invited to join the procession. Immediately following the procession will be the annual memorial service at the monument.

If you would like to be included on our mail list for these events, please forward a self addressed envelope to:

The Maritime Industry Museum at Fort Schuyler
6 Pennyfield Ave.
Bronx, New York 10465
Att’n. General Slocum Centennial

Or send an Email including your mail address to:

Subject line: General Slocum Centennial
Email: karen.lamberton@spyral.net

She adds in an e-mail to me: “If you can, please let me know how many of you are planning to go. This is not a committment on your part, just a way for us to estimate passengers to the boat charterer.”

sounds like an interesting weekend. should we all wear red, white, and blue in honour of flag day (14) as well?

i’m in.

So far, from the other thread, we have myself, Oxymoron, Billdo, Cosmopolitan, Stuyguy, Little Nemo, Mehitabel, Rocking Chair, CWN and Sue as probables.

I and the OxyBF are still in. Bumpitty-bump!

I’ll bump this back up by saying I plan to attend if possible.

Another bump. I would certainly like to go on this if it’s not too late to add myself.

The cost of the boat trip has been finalized at $35.00/ ticket, which includes a continental breakfast on board. We have one of the famous Circle Line sightseeing vessels for our trip, so there will be plenty of room, seats, and a smooth ride!

Both the boat trip on Saturday, and the Sunday events will begin at 9 a.m. and we hope to see all of you at all the events. We are especially hoping to have a large contingent of descendants marching in the procession. If you think you would like to do this, please let me know so that we can include your name in the program and know who we are looking for as we form up.

Which continent? Can’t be too careful about these things, y’know.

(Thanks for the latest!)

A bump, and a link to more background information:
[url=“http://www.maritimeindustrymuseum.org/slocum.htm”]Maritime Industry Museum Slocum Centennial Page

Argh.

Let’s try that again:

Maritime Industry Museum Slocum Centennial Page

Thanks, I was thinking of bumping this myself. I suggest we get our tickets individually, so no one will be stuck for the cash if people back out. We should arrange a time and place to meet, though.

A bump. I believe the deadline for buying tickets is approaching.

Thanks, dear, I was thinking of bumping this myself. You’ll all be responsible for buying your own tickets, but can I have a head count so I can tell them how many people from our group to expect? So far we have, I hope:

Myself
Alto
Oxymoron
Oxyboyfriend
Billdo
Cosmopolitan
Stuyguy
Little Nemo
Mehitabel
Rocking Chair
CWN
Sue

—anyone else? I will find out where and when we should meet on Saturday the 12th.

I e’d the Gen’l. Slocum lady to expect a dozen of us and asked some questions, and she replied, poor dear,

“I will get some information out to you shortly, but at present my computer is down with a worm and so I am picking up Email on a my computer at work, from which I cannot send attachments. But, you can contact the Maritime Industry Museum at Ft. Schuyler, NY for reservations/tickets. They must be purchased in advance. The boat (a circle lines vessel) will leave from the South Street pier, and there should be a banner. But, since Circle Line does not usually sail from South Street, it should be easy to find.”

So, who’s in?

Count me in. Do we have a plan for buying tickets?

As soon as I find out who, I’ll post details—I think we should each be responsible for buying our own, so no one gets stuck (not that Dopers aren’t dependable . . .).

Confirming for me and OxyBF.

A “one month to go” bump.

I can come on the boat trip on Saturday; have a conflict on Sunday.

Time to re-read Mr. O’Donnell’s book before, I should think.

I received the following instructions via e-mail from the Tour organizers.

For directions to the Seaport, go to their website and click on “find us” on the bottom bar.