Ok, so just exactly how big was Milton Berle's schlong? (Facts, not jokes, please!)

In this past Sunday’s NYTimes City Section there was a cover story about the venerable Friars’ Club. (There is also a letter-to-the-editor and an FYI question by yours truly, but enough about me.) The Friars is a NYC-based organization of (mostly) comedians. They conduct those world famous celebrity roasts.

In the 40s and 50s the head Friar was Milton Berle. The article mentioned that the super-sized dimensions of Uncle Miltie’s schlong was a constant source of jokes and banter. I have heard about Berle’s endowments before. In fact I think it was mentioned in a SDMB thread a year or more ago.

So, applying the scientific rigor this board is famous for, exactly how big was, shall we say, the Friars’ Club’s greatest member? (Pun very much intended.)

Bonus Question: The article also mentioned that Maurice Chavalier was the first “victim” of a Friars roast. They served him a beef tongue on a hook and apparently made many “licking” jokes that night. What was that all about? Obviously something lude, but what in particular?

Eve, my sweet, will you rescue this ignorant dolt?

According to entertainment columnist James Bacon, Uncle Miltie sported a 13 inch tallywhacker. Evidently, he and Forrest Tucker were the “best endowed” actors in Hollywood.

Would somebody like to explain the “French Arts” to stuyguy? :smiley:

“Remember—only you can prevent Forrest Tucker.”

Thanks, now I have the image of Forrest Tucker using his erection to block tackles during his semi-pro football days.

Heh, if that’s true Forrest would have to do an awful lot of tucking…

Hell, he could be half the goal post!

I don’t know what was up with the licking jokes, but they were probably more lewd than lude.

There is a book on every subject, even the New York Friars Club Book of Roasts: The Wittiest, Most Hilarious, And, Until Now, Most Unprintable Moments from the Friars Club
by Barry Dougherty.

Chevalier was indeed the first victim, in 1949, roasted by Berle, George Jessel, Sam Levenson, Phil Silvers and an Alan King still sucking on his mother’s breast instead on a cigar.

And with all this comic talent in the room, they make tongue jokes. And why?

Because Chevalier was French.

Ah, the Good Old Days.

Awwright, awwright, I can’t spell!

Boy, wait’ll you come to New York and need sightseeing tips!

Forest Tucker? The F-Troop guy?

Imagine my surprise.

So who’s got the killer kielbasa these days? I’ve heard good things about Liam Neeson, but not much about anyone else.

One of the more bizarre affairs in show biz history has to be the one between Milton Berle and evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson

Well, there are a number of contenders.

James Woods, Bob Newhart, Wayne Newton :stuck_out_tongue:

Frank Sinatra and a host of others

In rock music, Huey Lewis is said to be the biggest.

He’s kind of a has-been now, though. Does it still count?

I’ve seen David Letterman’s name pop up on such lists on usenet, and I remember a guest or two has joked with him on the show over it before. Its always the one’s you’d least expect…Bob Newhart?

I forgot to include my cite…this list originally was on alt.celebrity.gossip on usenet years ago…

http://members.internettrash.com/cybergata/afaq.htm
The largely uncorroborated “Hung Like A Horse List” has Milton Berle at ten inches.

Googling for Liam Neeson’s stats, I found this sketchy lookingpagep. The list includes Ed Begley Jr.!, Bruce Jenner, Dick Cavett, David Duchovany, Lyle Lovett, Brendan Frasier, and Kiefer Sutherland (swoon) among others.

:eek:

Bob Newhart & Dick (heh heh heh) Cavett?
As Vonnegut said, you never know…

You think he got hooked up with Suzanne Pleshette and Mary Frann based on his looks?

For the curious, Liam Neeson went full frontal in Nell, James Woods showed all in The Onion Field and Curse of the Starving Class. David Duchovny showed us what he’s made of in New Year’s Day. You can check out the evidence on James and David here.

In the book Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, SNL writer Alan Zweibel gives an eyewitness account from when Milton Berle guest hosted:

I love this thread.

All right, you got me! I clicked on it in hopes of a screen shot. You teaser you.

[QUOTE=Walloon]
You can check out the evidence on James and David here.

I did spend, um, a bit of time here. Thanks! No Neeson or Berle though. Boo hoo.

Funny Alan Zweibel story. Thanks for that too.