I am NOT society's baby making machine!!!

I eat lunch at home most days, and most days, the mail has arrived by the time I get home for lunch. I usually check the mail and the toss it on the coffee table to check out after work.

Today was an execption, as I got my Prevention magazine today. Now usually, Prevention is also just tossed on the coffee table. However, there was a cover story that I just had to read right then. I didn’t even bother with lunch first.

“Special Report: The New BIRTH CONTROL BAN. What you need to know”

I freak out thinking that our darling President and his cronies are up to something else that will make me want to pop somebody’s eyeballs out with a fork. This is actually not the case though.

The case is this. The article, “Access Denied”, details the fact that there are doctors and pharmacists in this country who don’t believe in hormonal birth control, and so won’t prescribe it or fill a prescription for it.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?

Reading on, I find that the heart of the matter is the possiblity that hormonal birth control might interfere with the implantation of a fertilized egg, and thus cause a “chemical abortion.” Nevermind the fact that medically a woman is not pregnant until implantation (pg 154, Aug 2004 Prevention), as a doctor cannot detect the pregnancy until then. Nevermind the fact that there is “no science to back the theory that birth control pills really do discourage implantation” (pg 154, Aug 2004 Prevention).

I am not a doctor. I don’t read clinical journals. I read some biological journals, and some medically significant news appears there. But I have never heard of this, and I am livid.

Why in the world should a doctor or pharmacist be allowed to say “I’m morally against this, so you can’t have it. I don’t care that you need it for a medical condition (ex endometriosis), I don’t care if you’d be the worst parent on the face of the planet. You have to have any baby that comes along.”

I am not society’s baby making machine. Nor is any other woman.

My mother, my grandmothers, my great-grandmothers and so on, all fought for these rights that I often take for granted. I’m usually busy fighting other fights, that it is my turn to fight. I can’t believe I’m about to have to fight this fight again, because some assholes feel like it’s okay to force their morality on me.

You can’t take away my birth control. You can’t take away my right to work. You can’t take away my right to live my life as I see fit.

Has anybody else read this article? Or worse, experienced this sort of problem?

If anyone is interested in the article, it is in Prevention magazine’s August 2004 issue, pages 150-159 & 184-185.

Because, just as you are not society’s baby making machine, the doctor is not your fucking slave. If he doesn’t want to do that procedure, then he doesn’t have to.

Find one that will.

I’ve never been denied my pills, but I’ve been having a bitch of a time finding a doctor who will give me a damn tubal. Apparently since I’m ‘only’ 35,’ I’m too young to know what I ‘really’ want.

They’ve been saying that for how many years regarding surgical sterilization of single women under 35 who do not have children?

If I may play the devil’s advocate here, is it possible that these doctors aren’t basing their objections on morals, but rather on fertility? In other words, are they worried that the pill might interfere with the egg’s implantation after she stops taking it and actually wants a baby?

I haven’t read the article, so I don’t know what it entails, but if I was a doctor I’d have a problem prescribing a birth control method that would hurt the patients fertility later on.

Of course, if their objections are moral ones, I won’t feel like playing devil’s advo. nearly so much. I could probably think up a “freedom to deny service due to freedon of religion” argument on libertarian grounds, but my heart wouldn’t be in it.

The Prevention magazine article is available online here.

Honestly, I’m surprised that we don’t hear about this a LOT more. There are a LOT of women on birth control, and I’d think that each pharmacist or doctor who refuses to let them have it would run into a lot more of them.

I wonder if this opens the door to allowing, say, really militant vegan doctors and pharmacists to refuse to prescribe or dispense drugs that are animal-based or were tested on animals. That would certainly be interesting.

And we wonder why we have so much teenage pregnancy…

Motivations were discussed in the Pharmacist refuses to fill prescription for abortion pill on moral grounds thread a few months back.

The anti-abortionists can have their “post fertlization effect” and their “conscience clause.” :rolleyes:

In return all pharmacies that refuse to provide women with access to legal medications should be required to post huge signs both inside and outside the store informing customers of this fact.

This way those of who oppose religious fanaticism may also properly adhere to our own ethics and bring our business elsewhere.

Weird. I had the Essure procedure done last June. I was 29. Doctor never even asked me if I was sure. He did explain that it was permanent, but other than that, he said “not a problem.”

No, Monkey, the issue is that the pill, in addition to preventing ovulation, thins the endometrial lining, so that if you do ovulate and the egg gets fertilized, it’s less able to implant and grow. Many people consider this to be an abortifacient property and object to taking/prescribing/dispensing it for that reason. AFAIK, there isn’t a single scrap of evidence that use of the pill impairs future fertility. The objections are purely based on what could potentially happen when you’re actually on the pill.

Interestingly, (or at least I think it’s interesting and intend to hold forth about it whether you’re interested or not :wink: ), many doctors do refuse to put IUDs into women who’ve never been pregnant because of concerns about their future fertility. It seems that quite some time ago, there were some studies that indicated nulliparous (sp?) women with IUDs were marginally less fertile afterward than other women in their age groups. Of course, since these women had never been pregnant before, nobody knew if they’d had fertility issues prior to the IUD or not. And even if the fertility issues were caused by the IUD, it was a pretty small risk. It was enough that most doctors of the time flat-out refused to put one into someone who’d never been pregnant, though, even if the patient was willing to assume any and all risks. (And frankly, I’d think most people would be far more concerned about the risk of uterine perforation and death than future infertility, but that’s just me.) The studies have since been shown to a big load of crap, anyway, but a suprising lot of doctors still refuse to even consider IUDs for non-mommies. Apparently, we know what we want enough to consent to something that could kill us, but not enough to consent to something that could reduce our fertility. There just aren’t enough rolly-eye smilies on the Web, really.

And don’t even get me started on the whole issue of denying surgical sterilization to women under the age of 35 or so. Once I get all wound up on that one, I won’t shut up for a couple weeks.

Oh, and Dr.J informs that some docs refuse to prescribe bcp for unmarried women because of the moral implications.

I’m curious, since I don’t have any experience with this myself: How do doctors respond to men who want to have vasectomies who haven’t had children? I mean, they’re reversible, but that’s risky and certainly not guaranteed. So do doctors pull the same kind of “we know what you’ll want in 10 years” crap on guys that they do on women who want their tubes tied, or is it never an issue?

I mean, as far as I’m concerned with regards to vasectomies / IUDs / tubals, if the doc says, “Don’t come crying to me if you change your mind later,” then that covers it. I know this is a litigious society, but has anyone successfully sued a doctor because the sterilization procedure was too effective? “I’m suing you because… uh… I didn’t believe you when you said I couldn’t have children later! You told me there was a 1% chance I could get pregnant and I was counting on that to happen!” Right.

Well dear, your father and I were wondering when you were going to get around to giving us some little kindesroos, we’re not getting any younger you know. All the good ones are getting taken while you dilly dally. Maybe if you did something with your hair.

Checks Mom’s gravesite, appears undisturbed… heywaitaminute, I thought people got reincarnated into little babies…

Holy shit! The baby I’m not having is my mom’s never-to-be reincarnated soul? Feedback loop, feedback loop… NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :smiley:

From a genetic point of view, that’s all you are. That’s all any of us are, although I suspect I might have just veered off topic.

I’m just recently married (June 5th). At this point in my life, I don’t want kids. I’m only 24, so yeah, there is a chance I might want them eventually. But, in order to have one, the right conditions would be:

-Good enough health in order to keep complications to a minimum for both me and baby

-Enough money to be able to support the baby and still pay bills, food, etc. without worry

-For me to have some kind of work-from-home job so I could give my child deserved attention; I don’t want a babysitter raising my kid.

A lot of people figure that since now I’m married, I’m going to be having kids any day now, and they always say, “You’ll change your mind”. Maybe. But having all the above conditions I listed work simultaneously is improbable. If I was to have a baby now, We would be financially destitute, and the poor kid would probably come out limbless and with three eyes due to all the meds I’m on for athsma, allergies and depression. I’m sure there are many other women who choose to not have kids for this reason.

Any pharmacist who is actually refusing to fill birth control prescriptions should be made to care for any deformed, neglected, unwanted children themselves.

My God! You mean some people are taking dubious studies or moral stances that you don’t happen to agree with and using them as a reason to force you to comply with their outlook? The horror! Such a thing is unthinkable! :dubious: :rolleyes:

You really outta try for some consistancy in your viewpoints. It lends credibility to your arguements.

Aaaand Bang! Dave’s an idiot. CrazyCatLady, I do apologise. I somehow got usernames confused and thought this was posted by catsix, who is arguing with me in the circumcision thread that circumcision out to be banned because she thinks it’s bad. A thousand apologies, I messed this one up.

Friend’s parents, upon learning that their future daughter-in-law (which is a story unto itself, really) was on the pill because of her endometriosis, and having been told of the pain she had even though she was taking the pill, and having been told of the surgery she’d already had because of what the endometriosis had done, still didn’t approve of it. They thought she should just ride it out, or something. That was probably one of the more repugnant things I heard about them, and I’m glad I wasn’t there to hear it.

Well, it’s obvious that doctors vary wildly in their approaches to the issues. I did a research paper in college on the very subject. Part of my paper was based on my posing as a potential snippage candidate at two local family practice offices (one very independent, the other closely affiliated with a nearby megahospital). I went for physicals both places and the full background questionaires . . . basically everything but making the appointment for the vasectomy itself.

I was 25 at the time, though I looked about 30, and married. Both of the docs asked if my wife was ok with the procedure, and both requested her signature on release forms. Neither seemed to have any problems with my age or childless status–I told them both up front that we had no interest in having kids, and they both wanted reassurances that we were certain. Both did bring up the issue of banking sperm.

But that was the extent of it.

That was in Salt Lake City in the early 90’s.

:shrug:

Make of it what you will.

That’s it in a nutshell. (hehheh) For men it’s a non-issue. Bank some sperm, get snipped, still have as many kids as you want.