My Klutzy Wife, or Why Grocery Lists Need Warning Labels

So there I am, sitting at the kitchen table reading the Sunday paper. My wife was writing a grocery list over on the kitchen counter. She walked over to me and held out her hand.

FoxyLady: “My finger broke!”
Me: “Huh?” I look over at her hand. Her index finger is pointing downward at an odd angle, while her other fingers look relaxed.
FoxyLady: “My finger just popped out of its socket or something!”
Me: “Well how the heck did you do that?”
FoxyLady: “I was just writing the grocery list and…”
Me: “Wait…you busted your finger while writing the grocery list?”
FoxyLady: “Yeah, well, I was writing and…”
Me: “So you were just writing along, when POP! your finger just up and decided it didn’t like staying in its socket any more?”
FoxyLady: “Umm, yeah…”
Me: “BWAHAHAHAHA!”
FoxyLady: “Shut up, it hurts!” Nonetheless, she gets a grin on her face as she realizes the absurdity of the situation.
Me: “BWAHAHAHAHA!”
FoxyLady: “I wonder if I can…” She pops her finger back into place. “Hmm, that was weird.” She wiggles her finger a bit. It apparently functions just fine.
Me: “Need some help finishing that list? I wouldn’t want you to dislocate your knee or something.”
FoxyLady: Whaps me with the grocery list.
Me: “Ow! You gave me a paper cut!”

Tell me about your accident-prone spouse!

One of our cats was chasing a mouse across the floor. First the mouse, then the cat, went between my wife’s legs. She instinctively jumped, lost her balance, and fell, or sat down, heavily on the floor. Her head and shoulders banged hard against the aquarium stand, rocking the fish-tank and sending a large wave of water out of the tank and GLOOSH! over her head. Funniest thing I have seen in years!

One afternoon I heard a crash in the kitchen and investigated to find Mrs. Uvula barefoot on her ass in the middle of the floor, her shoes (open sandle-sorta-things) in front of her.

Me: “What happened?”

Mrs. U: “Um… nothing. I fell out of my shoes.”

Me: “BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!”

Mrs. U: “Goddammit, it’s not funny!

And she still gets pissed off when I think about it and laugh.

Well, I’d be the accident prone one. There’s the numerous times when I walk into the bedframe (both at my place and his). Or the time when I managed to somehow catch my t-shirt on the kitchen door handle, and ended up with the kitchen door handle in my back. Or sitting on the settee, stretching, and knocking red wine everywhere. And that’s just in the past three weeks.

I dislocated my shoulder yawning once.

I keep stabbing my right boob on the microwave because my bra keeps getting stuck on the latch.

First: I once broke my shoulder in bed. No, I was alone. (I think I had a siezure with the arm at the wrong angle.)

Second: Pictures?

I sympathize. I’ve dislocated my left shoulder so many frappin’ times, I can now do it just by leaning over wrong.

I’ll be leaning over a chair, talking with someone, and POP!

Me: Razzen-frazzen-gacken-daggone-nutterfingers. 1. 2. 3. —===POP!===—

Other person: You okay?

Me: No. If you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go take some Advil.

You do realize they don’t go in the microwave, don’t you?

Ardred and I both fell up the stairs when showing our new place to our parents.

I can dislocate my right knee by sitting cross legged (used to be known as “indian style”) on the floor and leaning forward. I never seem to remember this until it’s out.

Mrs. Stuffy bumps here shin on the bedframe nearly everytime she makes the bed. She also bumps her shim (yes the same one) everytime she gets up from our desk. Personally I think her shin doesn’t like her :smiley: .

Almost every time I injure myself, it’s because I’m running away from my husband, who is constantly chasing me through our condo, trying to tickle me. I’m ridiculously ticklish - if I’m laughing already, the backs of my hands get ticklish. Or, if I’m not running away from my husband, I’m chasing after him, trying to yank his pants down. We’re a very mature couple.

Anyway, the last two injuries I got were from running away from him. The first one was when I was running, shrieking down the hall. This was about eight months ago, when I was still working at the law firm, and I was a little tipsy because our manager always was giving us wine. Anyway, I was running down the hall, screaming like a banshee, trying not to get tickled, when I ran into the bedroom door. You see, I’d meant to hide in the bedroom, but when I got to the door, I forgot to open it. I bounced right off, dislocating a finger in the process.

The second one was a month before our wedding, which was in April. So, one evening, I was once again running through our condo, shrieking (I’m sure our neighbor upstairs loves us - I’m glad she always has her grandchildren over, running through her condo screaming, because otherwise I’d feel bad). For some reason, I had my right arm up over my head, when I ran with a loud smack into the doorway from the entryway into the living room. I couldn’t extend my elbow for about two days after, and it took me about 30 minutes to stop laughing because it was just so stupid.

You know those fancy Herman Miller Aeron chairs? The ones that they’ve had TV ads for with (probably now unemployed) dot-com kids playing office hockey in? Rolling wildly around and taking corners at high speed? Looking totally un-tippable?

Well, I tipped one over. Wasn’t even playing poker, much less office hockey. I rolled back about a foot to get something from a nearby printer and rolled back to my keyboard. With a clanking WHAM!, I was suddenly UNDER the chair, as if the thing had been set up as a raccoon trap.

:eek: :wally :confused: :smack:

I still don’t know how all the appropriate cosmic forces lined up in just the right direction at the same time - lump of dust on the floor, shoelace under a wheel, gust of wind at my back from the vent, someone on another floor slams a file cabinet shut and perhaps a micro earthquake? Try as I could, I was unable to replicate tipping the dang chair over. <grumble>

The worst part was my neighbors hearing the racket and asking if I was OK. No embarrasing act goes un-noticed!

I’m glad my husband doesn’t post anymore. He’d have a whole list of stories to tell about me. But he’s the only person I know of that’s dislocated a rib, twice!

The klutz around these parts is me. Today, I nearly fell down into my basement when my underwear got caught on the doorknob at the top of the steps. :eek:

I come by my clumsiness honestly: I inherited it from my mother’s faulty genes.

She gets in the most amazing predicaments, some life-threatening, but all strangely hilarious.

Once, she glued herself to the mailbox while trying to apply new numbers with SuperGlue. It was one of those moments when one wishes that a CamCorder was handy, because America’s Funniest Home Videos still gives out those cash prizes. I will never forget, as long as I live, hearing my mother bellowing for help. Neighbors were leaning out their windows, helplessly weeping with laughter. I, myself, was paralyzed with mirth as she yanked her wrist with the other hand, fruitlessly trying to pull herself free. My mom sure is a colorful cusser, I’ll tell you!

She’s electrocuted herself twice, and lived to tell the tale. Once, it was because the cord on a mixer came out of the machine as she was making cake batter. It plopped into the mixture, and, by her words, “without thinking” she popped it into her mouth to lick off the batter. It threw her across the kitchen into a wall.

The second time, she hit a metal ladder against a threadbare power line. We kept the ladder, an object of awe. Two inches deep, a section was burned away by the electricity. My grandmother found her behind the house, sitting dazed in the grass.

Luckily, I must have gotten another gene from my father, what I call the Grace-Under-Fire gene. Essentially, it means that I can do something incredibly clumsy, but not break the objects around me, like the time I fell down a flight of stairs at the museum in which I work, but managed not to break the artifact I was carrying. I can also fall face-first onto the floor, but manage to keep a cake I am carrying aloft and unharmed.

However, the objects unfortunate enough to share my space often bear the brunt of my faulty genes. Like my mother, I cannot own glassware. Eventually, every glass gets broken. Thank goodness for Correll Wear, or I wouldn’t be able to have plates, either. I drop everything I touch, which is bad news for the infants in my family. (I’ve only dropped one, and that’s because I forgot he was laying on my lap when I stood up.)

I run into walls, and windows. When my museum put up a glass wall last year in a new building, bets were taken among my co-workers for the Full-Tilt-Boogie Pool-- how many times Lissa would crash into the wall within the first year while strolling blithely along. This was subsequent to the How Many Times Will She Smash Her Fingers In the Door pool and the Did She Trip Over the Rug AGAIN? pool. My co-workers know to listen for an “I’m okay!” whenever they hear a terrific crash. It’ll just be me again, risking life and limb trying to walk upstairs to the vaults while carrying a box.

No she hasn’t. :smiley:

I came close once, making a Jacob’s Ladder in the basement – with big old rods that swivelled on their bases do to jerry-riggedness. 0 to 90 degrees in a split second. Yes, I’m a moron.

Lissa may I suggest a career change? Maybe a museum isn’t the right place for you. May I suggest a pillow warehouse? A bubble wrap factory? :wink:

I have been a klutz ever since I was a wee child. When I was five, I was chasing my sister (it was her hobby to make me mad, because it was a challenge) and she ran into the house and slammed the screen door. Being very slow on the response, I charged through the glass hands-first. The scars on my wrists are finally fading, but up until the past few years they looked suspiciously like a failed suicide attempt.

I’ve never broken any bones, although I can’t count the number of times I’ve found myself bleeding without any knowledge of how it came to pass. But at least I’m only a danger to myself. My ex-wife was a danger to others. I recall one incident when the simple act of her turning off the light over our bed got me a resounding elbow to the forehead for the mere offense of being in close proximity.

Surprisingly, I’ve only ever broken one thing in the museum, and that was restored, so you can’t even tell that the accident occurred.

The good thing about being clumsy is that you learn how to fall without breaking items you’re carrying or yourself. Frequent practice, I suppose. I can tumble down a full flight of stairs and get up with only a couple of bruises and a bit of embarassment.

I must tell you about what happened to me yesterday at work. I needed to carry a broom and a box to another part of the museum. Rather than doing it the smart way, I decided to do it all in one trip. I laid the broom across my arms, and then the box on top of it, and headed out. On the way, a co-worker stopped me to ask a question. Distracted from my primary mission of making it safely from one point to another, I sort of, well, forgot about the broom. When I went through a doorway, the broom caught on the frame, sending me sprawling backwards. I caught the box as it launched from my arms as I fell, grabbed it to my chest like a forward pass and turned so that I fell onto my ass. The momentum actually spun me around when I hit the ground, but I managed to keep the box aloft so it wouldn’t be jarred too much. So busy was I concentrating on the box that, again, I forgot about the broom. It had been knocked from my arms. The bristle end landed on the floor, and the handle whacked against the doorframe, ricocheted back and fell over, cracking me on top of the head.

I now know what people mean when they say they saw stars. I think I had a few little chirping birdies circling my head, too.

Lissa I think you may be a cartoon :smiley:

This morning, Fireman managed to hit himself on top of the head, twice, with a vase from atop the refrigerator. Interesting, only because he’s a foot taller than the 'frig. Oh, and that was twice in the same incident. It bounced. I’m still laughing.