Mystery Creature Lurks In Central Maryland

A very weird looking creature indeed

No, Jonathan Chance has relocated to Southeast Ohio now, thanks. :wink:

Seriously, I think that there was some discussion a few weeks ago on what this thing might be, if not a photoshop creation. (Opinions were, as always, mixed)

I thought for sure I was being wooshed and a nude picture of Dick Cheney was going to show up when I clicked on the link.

Thankfully the image you linked was a lot prettier than a nude Cheney.

From the Baltimore Sun

Wily coyotes

Among the more resilient species to thrive in Maryland’s populated areas is an animal familiar to Roadrunner cartoon fans.

“Coyotes habituate to humans real well, and if there’s no danger, they’re going to take advantage of it,” said Robert Colona, furbearer project leader for the state’s Department of Natural Resources. “They’re in every county in the state.”

Crenson-Murrow said her office has fielded reports of dens in Hunt Valley, Pikesville and throughout northern Baltimore County.

Colona said coyotes immigrated to the state 30 years ago and have grown steadily, especially in the western part of the state. The DNR has received reports of attacks on pets and livestock, he said.

Hampstead Police Officer Stacey Gaegler said raccoons wreak havoc in her town. On Mother’s Day, Gaegler helped catch one that had holed up inside a central air-conditioning unit.

“He was hissing and moaning,” she said. “He sounded like a lion. I didn’t know he could make those noises.”

A similar thread.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=260173&highlight=animal

but in North Carolina.
Could the Maryland creature be a small Hyena?

http://www.tourethio.com/graphics/picture/hyena.gif

What the heck is that man doing with that hyena?

Anyway, yes, the creature does look a little “hyena-ish”. The head and muzzle shape, the arched back and the front and back legs definitely look like hyena features. I really don’t think it looks much like a coyote unless the poor thing is somewhat deformed to go along with the really bad skin problems that thing appears to have.

What seems odd is the guy said it was “grazing” and it looks to be at least nosing around in the grass. Canines will eat grass on occasion but not on a regular basis. Unless it’s just nosing around in the grass for bugs or small rodents to eat.

A coyote is a lot more likely than a hyena, but you never know if some crazy person may have had a hyena (or similar exotic species) as a pet and either had it escape and didn’t report it or just decided to let it go. We had a strange mystery animal in a river in Florida and when it was finally caught it was found to be a Capybara.

It seems rather odd that the local cats and dogs aren’t bothered by this thing. You’d think a predator like a coyote would certainly cause some upset. The pictures are rather grainy though, so who knows maybe it’s just some old stray dog with bad arthritis and bad skin?

I think it’s just a very sick hyena. Likely a “pet” or zoo animal that got away, or was dumped. It looks like it’s missing a lot of its fur. Definitely doesn’t look like a coyote. At the end of the article linked in the OP, it mentions that some locals are calling it a “hyote” - a coyote/hyena crossbreed. I highly doubt it, if that’s even possible? Being sick might be reason enough cats and dogs don’t seem bothered by it. It might not have enough strength to even bother chasing a cat or dog. This might also explain its “grazing”. Hyenas are also pack animals who tend to scavenge. I hope someone catches it alive and it gets some help.

Anyhoo…

The local NBC affliate had a vet look at the footage (what I saw was much clearer) and he said it was most likely a dog with mange. Definitely not a hyena or coyote. Yes, they were calling it a “hyote” for a while, but they’re pretty sure now it’s just a dog.

Yeah, that’s actually what I figured and why I said “who knows maybe it’s just some old stray dog with bad arthritis and bad skin?”. I have seen many old dogs in that condition that don’t look like dogs anymore and it would explain why other animals aren’t bothered by it. But I didn’t want to go into that because speculating about something exotic is more fun. :wink:

One of my co-workers raised the possibility that it might be a dingo, or some kind of dingo cross-breed: http://www.wwwins.net.au/dingofarm/03.html

Well, if it’s just a poor unfortunate ancient dog they can test the theory by calling out “Here Rusty!” or “Here Tuffy!”* next time they see it and see if it responds … but then again it’s probably deaf, too.

*In my experience, many of these ancient arthritic mangy dogs are named Rusty or Tuffy.

Hmm… I thought it was usually “Lucky”.

Based on the pictures in the OP link, the head, neck, shoulders and ears are what almost convinces me that it’s a hyena. I just showed the pics to my parents and they don’t think it’s a dog or coyote. “That’s not a dog, for sure.” - Dad. But I do know what will from prove it. If someone can get close enough, just tell it a really funny joke. :smiley:

Anyhoo…

Looks to me like a coyote with mange.

Hide the babies!!!