Is there a SoCal Dopefest in the works?

Sorry if this is a redundant post, just curious if any SoCal Dopers plan to get together during the glorious months of Sept. or October. I feel a great need to meet some new people right now! And I’m in Palm Springs, so I can swing either way (San Diego or L.A.) or we could have a little get-together here in the desert.
My only concern with that one is that we can still have 110 degree days well into October, and I don’t want anyone to wilt. A Saturday afternoon/evening thing would work for most people, wouldn’t it? We could go see the cadaver exhibit at the museum near USC or have a beachDopefest, or both.

Anyone, anyone???

I don’t know of any in the works, but would LOVE LOVE LOVE to show up to one.

What we need is someone who wants to organize things.

:: crickets ::

Funny this should come up…I think an OctoberSoCalDopefest might be nice. Of course I might like one in November as well…that way I can ride the new bike to get there.

Count me in if anybody gets one organized.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

:smiley:

The last Dopefest I went to (Dopetoberfest, ages back) was so goddamned huge, I was amazed that anybody talked about having another one at all.

I missed the next couple, partly due to increasing reclusiveness, partly due to messy schedule. The latter excuse certainly wouldn’t apply this time.

A beer garden in SoCal in October?

:smiley:

Count me in!

Let’s put on a show!

I’ll be glad to help organize, but we need to pick the location. Maybe somewhere between L.A. and San Diego? Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, north or south doesn’t matter to me. And of course we have to narrow down the date and time.
I feel like cruise director on the Dope Boat - all aboard and let’s kick it!

Keep in touch, if you are interested we should start a list. And bump this post to the top every day or so, to keep it going.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Dopers soon!

I’m interested.

Much like the Brown Rule (“He who smelt it, dealt it”), the Dopefest Rule should be “Whoever brings it up has to organize it.” :wink:

Around here… uh… is nothing. Nothing interesting and cheap, anyway. How about the Taco Bell Discovery Center, where I guess you could discover what the hell goes into Taco Bell.

What does go into Taco Bell, anyway? :confused:

I’m in assuming that I am in town on the date selected.
LA / OC would work for me, much further south than Mission Viejo and traffic gets to be a problem.

Actually, Brahe (I’m going informal, here:D), that place looks kinda cool.

San Juan Capistrano or San Clemente would be cool…

Mid-way for the OC and the San Diego folks.

OK, so if we want to split the difference then maybe San Juan Capistrano is good.
There’s an awesome Italian restaurant there with large patio for dining. And what’s the name of that beach in Dana Point? You can reserve picnic areas for larger groups.

Also, check out www.thecoachhouse.com - I’ve never been there but Mr. Beckwall
has and it looks like they have some decent music. Not sure if under 21 is OK but I can find out. For example, Saturday 9/25 the Surf Kings are playing and it only costs $10. Could be fun??? Unless you want to hold out until 10/30, when The Tubes (“legendary stage show!”) are playing, but that’s $25 a pop.

Any ideas are welcome. I’m kinda far away from that area, so I might not be up to date on all the attractions. But I’m willing to forge ahead into the unknown for the sake of the Dopers.

I prefer the Large patio idea…although I very much enjoy going to concerts, if I am attending a dopefest, I am there to meet and talk with dopers, I don’t want to be trying to talk over music!

We once met for dinner at the Claim Jumper and then for drinks at the Holiday Inn off of La Paz in Mission Viejo.
Was that 3 years ago? Wow does time fly!

Even though I am in Las Vegas, I wouldn’t mind trying to make it for a SoCal dopefest, depending on when it is. It would give me another reason to go to SoCal for some more R&R. :slight_smile:

A drive to San Juan Capistrano during perfect convertible weather, and meeting tons of neat people? I dunno, it sounds too good to be true!

As long as my car holds up, count me in.

Two suggestions from cadolphin and myself:

1. There is a wonderful Mexican restaurant here in Huntington Beach with a large screened back patio. I’m sure we could reserve that with no problem.

OR

1. This would require some advance planning and cadolphin sitting on the beach all day (which she would glady do - even without a Dopefest), but how about an evening on the beach at Huntington around a fire ring? A potluck beach barbecue? Parking costs a few bucks, and the beach closes at 10:00, but in the meantime a roaring fire and good company along the ocean would be fun.

Or if you’re set on Capistrano, you can count us in if it’s a relatively tame venue. We’re too old for thrash metal :rolleyes: but we’d love to see everybody.

Someone chime in here…

I’m in with either suggestion Rico.
Speaking as a citizen of the SF valley, I much perfer Huntington to San Clemente.
$.02

Huntington, Newport, Costa Mesa…all good to me. I’m an hour and a half from anywhere (Redlands area). There is a beer garden in Fullerton I’ve heard good things about… :smiley:

Man, do I miss SoCal.

Silenus, I was born and raised in Redlands.
But I haven’t been there since 97’.

:frowning:

I hope you guys have fun.