The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-02-2005, 09:47 AM

Why does everyone (seemingly) hate Chevy Chase?

I'm not a huge fan of Chevy Chase, but I think he's done some good stuff. He was funny on "Saturday Night Live," and I've really enjoyed some of his movies ("Vacation," "European Vacation," "Fletch," and others).

Invariably, though, whenever his name is mentioned, people seem to deride him. What gives? Does he have horrible personal secrets of which I'm unaware? Is it just that I find his dry sense of humor funny, but nobody else does? Is he a world-class jerk, and I don't realize it?

Enlighten me, please.
Advertisements  
Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 AM

Because he was Will Ferrell before there was a Will Ferrell and, well, Will Ferrell sucks.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:53 AM

I've heard he adopted a real arrogant, prima donna attitude when he became the first breakout star from Saturday Night Live, and has acted like that toward the newer cast members on all his subsequent guest appearances over the years. Also, I never saw his late-night talk show, but I heard it was a dismal failure.

It's kind of a shame, because Fletch is one of my favorite '80s movies, and I know I really need to see Caddyshack one of these days.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 AM

See, I can understand the dislike based on prima donna attitude. The vibe I get is that Chevy Chase is just bad, period, which I don't understand. I know I have a warped sense of humor, but surely it can't be that different from everyone else's.

"Caddyshack" is another good movie, although Chase wasn't the star per se.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 AM

I like him.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I don't hate Chevy Chase - like most people, I'm basically indifferent towards him by this point. But his whole career has pretty much been based on a single premise; playing a smug klutz. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But by 1980, most of us had seen him do his act and didn't feel the need to see it anymore.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Chase did have an arrogant personality on SNL and IRL (though he was part of the pro-Scred contingent on SNL, which mitigates it somewhat). However, it's more his smug style of comedy, which wore thin very quickly once he move to films. And I'll never forgive him with screwing Fletch, turning a great thriller into a third-rate comedy.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
And I'll never forgive him with screwing Fletch, turning a great thriller into a third-rate comedy.
Question, though: Did Chase do that to the "Fletch" movie, or did the director and/or screenwriter do it?

If Chase directed it, or adapted it, obviously my question becomes moot. But if the movie was written that way, or directed that way, he didn't have a lot of wiggle room to change it.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Even when I was enjoying him on SNL, he had the sort of smile that I wanted to hit with a brick.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Chase did have an arrogant personality on SNL and IRL (though he was part of the pro-Scred contingent on SNL, which mitigates it somewhat). However, it's more his smug style of comedy, which wore thin very quickly once he move to films. And I'll never forgive him with screwing Fletch, turning a great thriller into a third-rate comedy.
Hey! Fletch was a first-rate comedy! (although, thriller - not so much)

I agree that his smug/doofus style wore thin, but it wasn't very quick. He had solid, well received performaces in Foul Play, Caddyshack, Seems Like Old Times, Vacation, Fletch, Three Amigos, and (arguably) Christmas Vacation.

Pash
Old 02-02-2005, 10:45 AM

If you've read the book, Live From New York, you'd see that not one person from any incarnation of Saturday Night Live has a good word to say for Chevy Chase. He's apparently an irredeemable asshole.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
though he was part of the pro-Scred contingent on SNL
Please help me fight my ignorance.....
Old 02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Because the school system and property values are better in Silver Springs and Rockville?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:50 AM

I like him, he's kinda goofy and predictable. I can see how he's not everybody's cup of warm beverage though.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
though he was part of the pro-Scred contingent on SNL
In the first season of SNL, there was a recurring series of sketches using muppets (Scred was one of the characters). Many of the people on the show hated them; they thought they were too cool to be appearing on the same show as muppets.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24
Because the school system and property values are better in Silver Springs and Rockville?
Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Enderw24!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker
Please help me fight my ignorance.....
Once upon a time, a new Network President, freshly hired, decided off of the top of his head that SNL wasn't funny. People liked it, the ratings were good, but he thought it wasn't funny. So he canned SNL's creator. In as shitty a way as possible. The prexy put a no-talent yeswoman in charge.

The original cast invited her to get f#cked, & walked out with no warning, in support of their friend. As did the writers & support crew.

Semi-funny scabs were brought in, to star in unfunny scripts, directed by a no talent yeswoman.
And then SNL wasn't funny.

I guess the Network Prexy was happy.
Never in the field of conflict was so much owed by so many who only had a few!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
Once upon a time, a new Network President, freshly hired, decided off of the top of his head that SNL wasn't funny. People liked it, the ratings were good, but he thought it wasn't funny. So he canned SNL's creator. In as shitty a way as possible. The prexy put a no-talent yeswoman in charge.

The original cast invited her to get f#cked, & walked out with no warning, in support of their friend. As did the writers & support crew.

Semi-funny scabs were brought in, to star in unfunny scripts, directed by a no talent yeswoman.

That wasn't what picker was asking about. The Jean Doumanian thing happened well after Chase had left.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Question, though: Did Chase do that to the "Fletch" movie, or did the director and/or screenwriter do it?

If Chase directed it, or adapted it, obviously my question becomes moot. But if the movie was written that way, or directed that way, he didn't have a lot of wiggle room to change it.
It was quite clearly written as a Chase vehicle first and an adapted novel second. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if they'd just pulled a few names from the book and written a different plot (as most adaptations seem to end up), but instead the writer(s?) seemed to doggedly follow the plot threads in the book while simultaneously trying to work Chase's persona into the main character, then came to the end of the moved and tied the threads together in a way that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. In the book, Fletch is the archetypical anti-hero who scams his ex-wives, sleeps with his sources, passes bad checks to pay his alimony, buys pot from crooked cops and tokes up, steals money, and does any number of other things your momma told you not to do. In the film, he's just a wise-cracking twit. Some of the individual scenes are kind of funny ("It's all ball bearings now!') but it doesn't hold up well to multiple viewings the way that, say, Real Genius, to name another '80s comedy, does.

Chase is a one-note performer who owes his entire career to Gerald Ford's legendary clumsiness and Ferdinand Franco's notorious propaganda machine, and it's a kind of grating, half-inflated bagpipe sort of note, to boot.

Stranger
Old 02-02-2005, 12:24 PM

While we are on this subject, why is it that Robin Williams seems to be not well liked by alot of people?

He has been hit or miss with movies lately, but I've always enjoyed his work.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest
While we are on this subject, why is it that Robin Williams seems to be not well liked by alot of people?

See, I thought he was funny back in the Mork and Mindy days. And when he started doing that spur-of-the-moment improv comedy, it was ok.

Now he just seems like a maniac, and not a funny one. Plus, Patch Adams, what more do I need to say?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 PM

I liked him a lot. He hasn't done much for me lately (like, the last 20 years), but I liked him in:

The Groove Tube
SNL (he was also one of the main writers, so he gets extra points)
Foul Play
Caddyshack
Fletch

Also, he used to play drums with the guys who later founded Steely Dan.

So: actor, writer and musician. A talented guy. Maybe some people are just jealous.

Also, he called President Bush a "dumb fuck."
Old 02-02-2005, 12:33 PM

I like a lot of Chevy's movies. A couple that haven't been mentioned yet: Spies Like Us still makes me laugh after many viewings and I think Funny Farm is underrated.

I think he really lost credibility after his talk-show disaster and he still hasn't recovered from that.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Because of his scatter-shot, I'll improv a hundred jokes a minute and see if one sticks? I find about 75% of his stand-up to be unfunny. Most of his improved lines(like his hero Jonathan Winters) don't even make sense. Of course that's what happens when you pull it out of your ass. On talk shows he still acts like he is coked up. In movies he tends to lean towards sappy Patch Adams type movies. When he doesn't he proves that he is quite a talented actor. I thought he was great in Good Will Hunting and several others.

And i'll never forgive him for Toys.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I see Robin Williams, I think "Wolfman on speed." He was funny back when he was a little subdued, but then he became this annoying hyperactive hairy thing. Always creeped me out - seemed too drug induced, not natural - but I did like Mork and Mindy at the time, the same way I liked "Real People."

And I have heard Chevy Chase referred to as condescending (never met him myself) - and while people will forgive smug and unfunny, nobody cottons someone they think is talking down to them.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 PM

Oh Heavenly Dog.

Need I say more.

Actually, I think Chase's lack of range and his long string of flops has hurt him badly.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:08 PM

Three words:

One. Trick. Pony.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach
Because of his scatter-shot, I'll improv a hundred jokes a minute and see if one sticks? I find about 75% of his stand-up to be unfunny. Most of his improved lines(like his hero Jonathan Winters) don't even make sense. Of course that's what happens when you pull it out of your ass.
One of the most annoying things about Williams is he likes to pretend his manic schtick is improv when it actually isn't. I remember seeing him do an an "improv" on the Letterman show that came back word-for-word a few months later on Comic Relief. When he actually does improvise, it either doesn't make a lot of sense (as you note) or it's really just the same half-dozen stock voices/characters he's been doing for 20 years: the mincing hairdresser/decorator, John Wayne, Jack Nicholson, the tough-talking black guy, etc. As a comic, he can be quite lazy, and he has a bad reputation among Bay area standups for stealing other people's jokes.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:18 PM

Because (you knew it was coming and I'm surprised we're 30 posts in this thread).....

He's Chevy Chase. And you're not.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

When comics and actors are no longer current, they seem to become reviled for some reason. Chase certainly had his brilliant comic moments, but never kept up with the times.

His personality is probably best summed up in his own words: "I'm Chevy Chase, and you're not."
Old 02-02-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:

He's well known among other comedians for stealing quite a large percentage of his material.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:37 PM

I don't understand the explanation that people hate Chevy Chase because he's an asshole behind the scenes and in real life. In my experience, most people are assholes behind the scenes and in real life; that doesn't make them less talented.

I understand not liking Chevy Chase's comedy; it's disliking him for something irrelevant to his comedic skills that I don't get.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:41 PM

They all steal stuff off of each other. It is the nature of the beast.

He has always been one of my favorite comedians. I get his references and his timing is superb.

Will Farrell has funny moments, but is more of an ensemble player. By himself...meh.

A comic whom until recently I loathed, but I am warming too is Ben Stiller. I've hated him for years and actively avoid his movies. Then I saw " Dodgeball" and he was perfect as the bad guy. He also didn't do so bad in the awful " Starsky & Hutch" remake.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Two reasons:

(1) One mediocre-to-awful movie after another; and

(2) The trainwreck of a talk show.

You can also say Chase's prickly personality played a role but I don't think most people cited that as a main reason until after the talk show's failure. Before then, Chase was considered successful enough for people to tolerate. However, once his career was truly down-for-the-count, all the venom that had built up against him since the 70's broke free. Chase also didn't help things by becoming more publicly cranky. I recall an episode of Politically Incorrect where Chase verbally attacked guest Stephen Bochco for making "dirty" programs like NYPD Blue. It was at that point I realized the once-funny Chase had made a complete transformation into a bitter, humorless, and grouchy old man.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch
One of the most annoying things about Williams is he likes to pretend his manic schtick is improv when it actually isn't. I remember seeing him do an an "improv" on the Letterman show that came back word-for-word a few months later on Comic Relief. When he actually does improvise, it either doesn't make a lot of sense (as you note) or it's really just the same half-dozen stock voices/characters he's been doing for 20 years: the mincing hairdresser/decorator, John Wayne, Jack Nicholson, the tough-talking black guy, etc. As a comic, he can be quite lazy, and he has a bad reputation among Bay area standups for stealing other people's jokes.

That sums it up very nicely, thank you.

Did I mention Toys?
Old 02-02-2005, 05:45 PM

I don't hate him. I find him dull and talentless, but I don't hate him. I didn't even like him in the things you mentioned.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:49 PM

One factor, in "the biz" at least, might be that right now he gives off an aura of desperation. Mainly because he can't get work. I heard the editor of "The Onion" speak and he said it was almost sad how desperate Chevy Chase sounded at any prospect of being involved in an "Onion" movie or TV show.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:03 PM

His talk show debacle actually made me feel sorry for him. Imagine being cancelled halfway through your show, and having to tell the audience and guests "I'm sorry, but the show has been cancelled, go home."
Old 02-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Chevy Chase is awesome

Seems Like Old Times and Oh! Heavenly Dog are two movies my kids and I watch regularly. Fletch is pure genius.

I even like his talk show. But then again, I'm made fun of for even liking "The Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" movie starring the Bee Gees, so you might want to ignore my comments....
Old 02-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxChief
Seems Like Old Times and Oh! Heavenly Dog are two movies my kids and I watch regularly. Fletch is pure genius.

I even like his talk show. But then again, I'm made fun of for even liking "The Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" movie starring the Bee Gees, so you might want to ignore my comments....
I don't hate Chevy, but I DO hate Fletch. But then, I was a big fan of the books and felt that the movie was a hack job.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:57 PM

The Roast they did for him on Comedy Central was really quite funny, except that some of the "jokes" seemed extra personal and serious. And all the while Chevy has this stupid condescending smile on his face. Ugh. Then at the end, chevy speaks, and is completely not funny, and believe it or not, is smug and arrogant. He hasn't made a good film in years yet his public persona is still quite inflated.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:48 PM

I had my truck lease through them and received many nasty letters about lacking proper insurance. One said, "Park your behicle and do not drive it from the money you read this letter".

Yeah right bitches!

You meant the bank right?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP
Chase also didn't help things by becoming more publicly cranky. I recall an episode of Politically Incorrect where Chase verbally attacked guest Stephen Bochco for making "dirty" programs like NYPD Blue. It was at that point I realized the once-funny Chase had made a complete transformation into a bitter, humorless, and grouchy old man.
I remember that show! Chase kept attacking Bochco until Bochco turned on him and said something like "At least people watch my shows. Nobody goes to your movies. In fact, you haven't done a good movie in over ten years." Chevy, livid, took off his microphone and walked off the set.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:39 AM

I think both Chevy Chase and Steve Martin were great comedians in their time. (I love Fletch and the Jerk is one of my favourite comedies of all times).
And that's just it : in their time
That time has since past.
What was funny back then, just seems kind of old.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rieux
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP
Chase also didn't help things by becoming more publicly cranky. I recall an episode of Politically Incorrect where Chase verbally attacked guest Stephen Bochco for making "dirty" programs like NYPD Blue. It was at that point I realized the once-funny Chase had made a complete transformation into a bitter, humorless, and grouchy old man.
I remember that show! Chase kept attacking Bochco until Bochco turned on him and said something like "At least people watch my shows. Nobody goes to your movies. In fact, you haven't done a good movie in over ten years." Chevy, livid, took off his microphone and walked off the set.
I'm going to have to disagree with the good Doctor and NDP here. As I recall the situation and from what I can gather off the web, Chase was takling about the sad state of television at the time, particularly the lack of socially redeeming value, and using one or more of Bochco's shows as an example. Now I'm sure Mr. Bochco didn't like hearing this, but it was within the bounds of the discussion (and for what it's worth, I think Chevy's right; Bochco's works are pretty much entirely emotionally manipulative prime-time soap operas, but that's what the people want). At this point, Bochco asks what socially redeemable value Chase's work has, to which Chevy replied something about he made people laugh and that's always valuable, to which Bochco replied something like, "Not in about ten years." That's when it started getting personal and Chevy comes back with a crack about Bochco's oh-so-stupid "Cop Rock" and things devolve from there. Eventually, Bochco says Chase should leave if he hates TV so much and Chevy does, though Maher goes and eventually brings him back.

To me, at best this just seems to be a difference of opinion that got out of hand and at worse Bochco's fault, but Chase-haters like to look back on it with their confirmation bias as it being all Chevy's doing. I think he just sounds naive, but then who doesn't complain about the awful dreck on television these days? Awful dreck defined as everything I don't watch.

Not that there's any shortage of other stories about Chevy being a real heel, I just don't think this is a particularly good example. I'm open to correction if my memory's faulty.

By the way, I'm charging my SDMB account to Mr. Underhill's American Express card. Want the number?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:14 PM

In a fairly recent edition of Entertainment Weekly there was a long article and interview with Chevy Chase about this exact topic.

At the end of the article, I didn't particularly like him or dislike him any more than I had before I picked up the magazine, but ... I did feel that he seemed quite unhappy and pathetic and bitter ... and occasionally delusional.

I don't hate him so much as I feel sorry for him. It was a really strong article, IMHO.

S.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor

Cite? Every book I've read on the subject (and I've read all the major ones) says you're wrong about almost every claim in this post.

Lorne Michaels wasn't fired in 1980. He quit. He wanted to take a long vacation and then go make movies. So did pretty much everyone in the cast, who quit before Jean Doumanian was given the job. His big issue with the network was that he wanted to name his own successor (He wanted Al Franken for the job, IIRC), but Franken's antics pretty much got him withdrawn from consideration. Franken, by all accounts, maintained a very cordial relationship with Doumanian.

Did they invite her to get fucked? Elliot Gould, one of the more prolific guest-hosts from the glory years, guest-hosted on 11-15-80, that cast's first show. Bill Murray guest-hosted her final show (3/7/81). Harry Shearer, alone in the 79-80 cast, lobbied to stay on as a writer and performer, but Doumanian decided to go with a clean break. Most of the support crew (Camera men, set designers and builders, etc) stayed on.

The Doumanian cast had a lot of hacks, but no scabs. The most churlish public comments at the time came from Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi, who quit two seasons earlier to make movies; they wasn't mad that this cast had taken their job, they were mad that the show name had not been allowed to die. Bit of a difference. And while Charles Rocket and Anne Risley were never heard from again, several of the performers (Piscopo, Gottfried, and some unknown by the name of Eddie Murphy) transcended the material and went on to respectable subsequent careers.

The writing was uniformly awful and Doumanian made some bad decisions that ultimately harmed the show (like preventing the writers and the performers from talking to each other). The show had some bad things against it, but not the things you claim.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:38 PM

Unlike Robin Williams, Steve Martin and unlike his fellow SNL alums Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Jane Curtin (a very underrated actress imo), Robert Downey Jr., Martin Short, Mike Myers and to-a-much-lesser-degree Eddie Murphy and others, Chase has one character (unless you subdivide by age into the smug-young-klutz mentioned above and the smug-aging-klutz he is now). He never seemed to even try to stretch, he never did anything particularly brilliant (that's not to say I didn't laugh my ass off at the odd numbered VACATION movies, but they succeeded in spite of rather than because of Chase), and the fact he gives every impression of being a smug horse's ass off-screen as he is on (his talk show, the SNL book [his homophobic comments to Terry Sweeney were appalling]), his drug problems, etc.. I don't hate him (actually worse for an actor: I rarely think of him at all) but I also don't consider him talented or deserving of a comeback (which is good because it doesn't look like he's getting one).

I also agree that Funny Farm was an underrated movie, but more for the gag with the dog than for Chevy.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duality72
By the way, I'm charging my SDMB account to Mr. Underhill's American Express card. Want the number?
It's all ball bearings nowadays...

Eh-knee-weigh,

Chevy had a semi-cameo in a crudely shot but poignant satire called "Ellie Parker" at Sundance this year and came on-stage after the movie for some Q&A. He was very well received (admittedly, by a somewhat sycophantic audience), got a louder ovation than Naomi Watts, who played lead in the movie.

Chevy was a bit sarcastic but in a jovial way, appeared to appreciate the adulation. Perhaps it, umm, seemed like old times.

"Fletch" is one of my favorite comedies and I've always thought Chevy was a crack-up on screen.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:51 PM

I read (in Wired, IIRC) that Chase was under the impression that SNL was going to be sort of "The Chevy Chase Show", and got bent out of shape when it became much more than that.
IMHO, I've liked him from time to time. Three Amigos has long been one of my (not so) guilty pleasures, BUT I could never shake the impression that he as just a smug preppy. In fact, I always figured that in RL he was just like his Caddyshack character... maybe slighly more bitter.
"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, tell me what you know..."
Groucho Marx