Help us find a wedding song that hasn't been done to death

T-minus two months on my wedding, and we’re having second thoughts about our choice of “first dance” song. We were set on … well, before I mention the song, I will admit that it’s sappy and cheesy, but it’s a wedding song, so while it’s not something I’d throw in the CD player on a regular basis, it’s ok because a wedding is a sappy and cheesy event, and it doesn’t get much more sappy than the first dance.

Anyway, the song was From This Moment On by Shania Twain. Now the more we think about it, it’s too perfect. It’s clearly designed and marketed specifically to be a wedding song. Too calculating, and too successful (several wedding websites list it in the top 5 common wedding songs) and we’d like something a bit more personal and less predictable.

But the fact remains that the sentiment in the song is exactly how we feel. We’ve waited a long time for this day and we’re extremely excited to be starting a new life together. This weekend, we sifted through our CD collections, looking for something else. Here were the top contenders, all rejected for various reasons:

[ul][li]Rebel Heart, by the Corrs (Instrumental, very pretty, but we’d like some meaningful lyrics)[/li][li]Runaway by the Corrs (It was sounding great until the “by candlelight, make love to me through the night” which is a bit too evocative for our relatives)[/li][li]Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton. (This is “our song” because it was the first song we ever danced to. But GonzoGal thinks it’s too one-sided because the lyrics are all about how great “he” thinks “she” is, and not vice-versa)[/li][li]Remember When by Alan Jackson (This one was recommended on a wedding board, and sounded great until “We came together, fell apart. And broke each other’s hearts.” We’ve never broken up in our 8 years together, and this is one of many songs that got the axe for talking about break ups, hard times, fights, etc.)[/li][li]The Reason, by Hoobastank (Aside from being way overplayed, it’s got the “i never meant to do those things to you.” line and and the implication that one or both of us was a bastard or failure or something before being turned around by the other.)[/li][li]Nothing Else Matters by Mettalica (great lyrics. A bit too hard rockin’ and growling toward the end. Also feels like I should be required to have a mullet if we chose it as the wedding song.)[/li][li]Eternal Flame by the Bangles. (too questioning. Do you feel the same? YES! That’s why we’re getting married!)[/ul][/li]
We’re looking for a song that fits how we feel about each other, and fits our history, which has been nothing but good (at least in respect to our relationship). We’re both fine upstanding people, and have a healthy, happy relationship. You’d think there’d be more songs about that, but I guess hardship makes for good art.

It would be a bonus if the song was from an artist we both enjoy, and maybe we missed something while combing through the CD’s, so here’s a partial list of what we like:
They Might be Giants, Ani DiFranco, Tori Amos, Weezer, Green Day, Metallica, Blue Man Group, Pearl Jam, Fountains of Wayne, The Cranberries, The Corrs, Ashley MacIsaac, Thanks to Gravity, Third Eye Blind, Nine Inch Nails, Bon Jovi, Belly, Blink 182, The Corrs, Lisa Loeb, Alanis Morrisette, Evanescence, The Bangles, Tegan and Sara, Yellowcard, Jewel, Enya, Queen, Tool, System of a Down.

(This is just off the top of my head and flipping through my cd binder, but as you can see, it’s pretty eclectic, and some of them are certainly not wedding material. It’s tough to dance to “Sober” or “Chop Suey”)

So, I put it to ye of fabulous taste and offbeat wisdom… any suggestions?

“Storybook Love” by (I think) Mark Knopfler. It’s off the “Princess Bride” soundtrack.

Only catch – I dance like a duck attempting to translate Sanskrit (in other words, very badly), so I don’t know how well this song will lend itself to dancing. It’s a very romantic, sweet song that hasn’t been done to death.

At our wedding, we had “Tonight You Belong to Me” (from The Jerk), Norah Jones’ “The Nearness of You”, and “What a Wonderful World”. My brother also played the Star Wars Imperial March on an acoustic guitar as I walked down the aisle.

Not traditional, but people loved it (especially us!)

I honestly can’t think of a prettier song than Rebel Heart (it’s number one with a bullet these days in my house) but I completely understand your desire to have something expressed verbally. I’m not terribly familiar with many of the artists you named beyond their “hit” songs, but I always encourage people to think outside the traditional box when it comes to wedding music. So how’s’about I give you a couple of my favorite love songs and you give 'em a listen, see if anything strikes your fancy?

Annie Lennox - Love Song for a Vampire (weird title, lovely song)
Allison Krausse - Baby Mine or I Will (both remakes, the former actually Dumbo’s lullaby, the latter a Beatles song fro the I Am Sam soundtrack)
Joe Cocker - You Are So Beautiful
Etta James - At Last (also nice versions out there by Lou Rawls and believe it or not, Cyndi Lauper)
Hollies - The Air That I Breathe
Queen - You Take My Breath Away
Roxy Music - More Than This
(don’t laugh…) Ricky Martin - Somos La Semilla (see the English translation - it’s a beautiful love song in English, and sounds lovely in Spanish.)

I’ll probably think of more…

Franz Lehar’s “Merry Widow Waltz” is lovely . . .

Elton John, “The One”

Oooh!

Joshua Kadison - Beautiful In My Eyes

I Concentrate On You - Cole Porter (I’m partial to the Fred Astaire recording.)

“And so when wise men say to me
That love’s young dream never comes true
To prove that even the wise men can be wrong
I concentrate on you”

[QUOTE=gonzoron]

[li]Runaway by the Corrs (It was sounding great until the “by candlelight, make love to me through the night” which is a bit too evocative for our relatives)[/li][/QUOTE]

I don’t really have any first-dance song suggestions for you (I had the same problem- most of the love songs I like are about breaking up). But I will say that you should mention to the DJ that you don’t want any songs that might be too evocative or otherwise offensive to your relatives.

Do you have a special country or place that you have vacationed to that would inspire any music choices? Mr.Babble is from Spain so we got a great spanish song for our first dance and everyone loved it (although it could have been about death and dying and they’d have never known). If you like Hawaii you could choose a good Hawaiin song, our Father/Daughter Mother/Son dance was to Iz’s “Somewhere over the rainbow/What a wonderful world”.

Good luck!
PB

I always kinda liked “I Know You Know” by Lyle Lovett. (From Pontiac, I think?)

I know you know
I’m so in love with you…

Edwin McCain’s These Are the Moments is nice.

We danced to the Eagles’ Love Will Keep Us Alive for our first song. I think it’s lovely, but perhaps I’m biased.

Annie’s Song by John Denver.

Come, let me love you,
Let me give my life to you,
Let me drown in your laughter,
Let me die in your arms.

Let me lay down beside you,
Let me always be with you,
Come, let me love you,
Come love me again.

It’s short, but it’s a georgeous song. Just ignore the fact that he and Annie eventually divorced.

How about the Book of Love by Peter Gabriel?

The book of love is long and boring
No one can lift the damn thing

[ REMAINDER OF SONG DELETED BY MODERATOR ]

You Send Me - By Sam Cooke - It’s easy to dance to (and covered by many including Steve Miller Band & someone on the Dirty Dancing Soundtrack)

If you have a warped sense of humor, In Spite Of Ourselves - A realistic married life duet By John Prine & Iris DeMent

“The Book of Love” is originally by The Magnetic Fields. Go with that version if you go with it.

My suggestion: “I’ll Be Your Mirror,” by the Velvet Underground. “I’ll be your mirror/ reflect what you are/ in case you don’t know.” It’s sweet.

The song we chose started as a joke because it’s the corniest, cheesiest song in the world. Written by Paul Williams, performed by the Carpenters - I give you “I Won’t Last a Day Without You”.

See, I was just kidding, but my husband seemed to sincerely want the song because he thought I wanted it so that’s what we had.

A few months ago he said to me, “I guess that’s kinda corny, huh”. This was after nine years of marriage.

The thing is, the song has a good message about how important the loved ones are to each other.

How about “The Book of Love” or “It’s only time” by the Magnetic Fields? Stephin Merritt is the greatest living writer of love songs, and both of those songs are heartbreakingly beautiful and wedding-perfect.

Love Song by the Cure.

A snippet:

I got one! I got one!

The Wind Beneath My Wings

:stuck_out_tongue: