The name TubaDiva: a light goes on for Anastasaeon

I don’t know if this has been asked before, or explained before. I did a couple of searches but turned up nothing.

You know, I’ve been reading here for years and years, and always saw the name of one of the wonderful, lovely, hard working admins [/shameless sucking up], TubaDiva.

All these years… and suddenly a light went on. I admit it, I’m a little slow sometimes. Does the username mean our wonderful, lovely, hard working admin is a diva? A diva of the tuba?

Because for all these years… I’ve been pronouncing it TubaDiva… er… sounds like… Scuba Diver.

Was that intentional, or am I to burn in (terribly amused) humiliation for the rest of my days?

If it was a pun, or a joke, and I’m just getting it now, it’s cracking me up something terrible. If it wasn’t a pun, or a joke, it’s still slaying me. Someone enlighten me!

(If this was posted in the wrong forum, my humble apologies. I’ll be diving with my tuba in the meantime).

It’s a pun and a joke! She really does and/or has played the tuba.

I made a reference to my having played the tuba in a thread once, and when I got home from work there was an email to my home account from her, with the subject of “About that post you made”, and I thought, “ohmygod, what did I say? Who did I piss off? Am I banned???”

And it was just her saying, “Hey, I play(ed) the tuba too!”

Way to give a guy a heart attack…

Only relatively recently did I “get” her name.

I used to mentally parse it as “Tub-a-Diva”. As in, a whole lot of diva. Or something.

Don’t kill me.

Sheesh.

I got the nickname from the conductor of an ensemble I played in a few years back; it was actually a backhanded compliment because the ensemble was filled with serious screaming divas of every stripe and I was more, um, reasonable in my demands, let me put it that way.

When I first signed online, it seemed the perfect name.

And yes, I am and have been a tuba player, for most of my life, in fact. Play a bunch of other instruments as well and have been caught singing a time or two also.

Now, how did you come to your screen name?

your humble TubaDiva

Bah, mine is boring. My name is Anastasia, and my husband used to call me his star, his “Anastasaeon”. I thought it sounded kinda pretty. Meh. He also used to call me his flower, his “Anastasalily”, but it didn’t have quite the same ring to it.

I just can’t believe for all this time, I’ve been thinking it was some play on Scuba Diver. Reading something you’d posted earlier and suddenly I think “… deeeeeeeeva! Not “die-va!” [Napoleon Dynamite]Idiot![/ND]” All these years I’d wondered what tubas had to do with diving. Or if you played the tuba and dived, too. Possibly at the same time.

I’m usually on top of those kind of things, and poke fun at those who mispronounce words or use them incorrectly, etc. It’s only fair that I out myself when I do the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

At least it’s not TubDiva.

Sames sort of thing happened to me with Spingears - for a really really long time, I read it as saying Spring Ears. (Is Spingears still around, btw?)

I’m not sure why his name works that way, but everyone does it.

With TubaDiva, though, there’s really no excuse. She uses InterCaps and everything. :slight_smile:

I know, I know. This is my greatest shame. I still can’t believe I managed to miss it for all these years. Years!

This from the girl who brought you penis ensues, at that. This is just somehow so much worse. :smack:

Yes, but with all the rain we’ve been having, his springs have gotten rusty and his ears no longer wiggle when he turns his head.

Easy – we’re so used to seeing “-ing” together, at the end of a word, that we process it that way. Count me in to that camp!

Anastasaeon, thanks for the explanation! I’d been wondering…

Well, I’m glad we finally have the Straight Dope — I thought it may have been a Noo Yawkuh"s pronunciation of “Tuber Diver”.

I wanted to call myself Superman, but my lawyers advised me that copyright infringement is a losing battle. So I chose Superdude, which is essentially Superman’s less mature, way cuter little brother.

;j

Geesh!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I noticed that last year!! :rolleyes:

I guess having the alarm clock go off late is better than never! :dubious:

For what its worth, I thought the same thing until I find this thread.

Great minds… :slight_smile:

“found” this thread :smack:

or mangey trout :stuck_out_tongue:

This brings back fond memories of Canthearya. :slight_smile:

Naw, everyone knows that one is “Man Get Out” :wink:

And obviously, anyone who plays the tuba would be refined and sophisticated enough to instantly understand Ms. Diva’s name. There’s a lot of us here, aren’t there, Ethilrist?

You know what kind of range you can get with a tuba?

10 yards, if you’ve got a good arm.

What’s the difference between a tuba and an onion?

Nobody cries when you chop up a tuba

What do you say to a tuba player in a three-piece suit?

“Will the defendant please rise…”

What’s a tuba for?

1.5" x 3.5"

What did the tuba player get on his IQ test?

Drool