The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 06-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Potsticker dips/sauces

I recently watched Alton Brown's segment on wonton potstickers. He suggests serving them with hoisin sauce, but I'm not too font of soy-heavy food. I've found that a sweet chili or sukiyaki sauce goes pretty well with potstickers. Other suggestions?
Advertisements  
Old 06-07-2005, 12:00 PM

Hmm.. Some people like to use Chinese hot mustard, but I'm not so fond of it.

Actually, my favorite dipping sauce for potstickers is simply a combination of soy sauce (which, of course, you can omit) and Yank Sing XO Chili Sauce. Deliciously spicy, with just a touch of seafood flavor. It works well with a lot of other things to, and if you're near an Asian market you can always pick a bottle up (or you can just order it online).
Old 06-07-2005, 12:33 PM

I sometimes use the type of sauce that comes with Thai roast chicken. My version is equal parts sugar and vinegar, heated until the sugar dissolves. To this base you can add minced cilantro, a dash of fish or soy sauce, Sriracha or other hot sauce, chopped peanuts, garlic, ginger or whatever. It's also good with oven-roasted sweet potato "fries." You can make a large batch of the sugar/vinegar base and keep it in the fridge for a long time.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

The last time I made potstickers, the favorite sauce was also the simplest - rice wine vinegar with a bit of chile paste mixed in. I think the chili paste was the stuff that comes with garlic - ie "chili paste with garlic". I put about a teaspoon in about 2 tablespoons of vinegar, but you can vary it depending on how hot/mild you want it.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:00 PM

I don't like spicy dipping sauces (chili/mustard/etc) but I love low-sodium soy sauce with rice wine vinegar and sesame seeds--maybe powdered garlic or ginger.

Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki is a really good pre-made sauce...very gingery!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:49 PM

As my wife makes FANTASTIC potstickers and I get her to make them as often as possible, I found I like either a soy-vinegar & chili paste sauce, or a sweet chili sauce as a dip. Of course I have also been known to eat them with out any sauce at all. Damn, I love that woman.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:01 PM

Look out for Indonesian Soy Sauce called kajup (yes like ketchup) it is very thick and somewhat sweet and is excellent as a dipping sauce, or as an ingredient in a dipping sauce.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:10 PM

Good answers. Thanks, everyone.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:17 PM

I usually have my potstickers plain, but I think a little soy sauce or some oyster (brown) sauce would go well with 'em.

Hoisin sauce would be too sweet, IMO.
Electric Escape -- Information superhighway rest area #10,186
Old 06-07-2005, 08:37 PM

If you like a sweet dipping sauce, excellent things can be done with a jar of apricot preserves.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Maxx
As my wife makes FANTASTIC potstickers and I get her to make them as often as possible, I found I like either a soy-vinegar & chili paste sauce, or a sweet chili sauce as a dip. Of course I have also been known to eat them with out any sauce at all. Damn, I love that woman.
Would she be willing to part with the recipe? I've never tried potstickers, but I make a killer won ton.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinoneeye
Would she be willing to part with the recipe? I've never tried potstickers, but I make a killer won ton.
Aha - you're not getting off so easy. I second the potstickers recipe request, and further request your won ton recipe, Odin.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:51 PM

Further excursions into wontonland has led me to conclude that dipping the dumplings in liquid (I used milk, but egg batter would probably be better), rolling them in flour and then sautéing them in oil yields even better-tasting dumplings -- startlingly so, in fact. Of course, they no longer become potstickers. The batter/flour treatment yields a richer taste and a crisp outer texture, and the sautéing makes the wonton pasta softer and less plastic.

I would love to hear about other variations around wonton dumplings. For example, I imagine cabbage might work as a filling. Apparently cheese fillings are possible, but what kinds of cheese?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers
Aha - you're not getting off so easy. I second the potstickers recipe request, and further request your won ton recipe, Odin.
I have been very happy with a Martin Yan recipe. I don't remember which book it was, though.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle
I would love to hear about other variations around wonton dumplings. For example, I imagine cabbage might work as a filling. Apparently cheese fillings are possible, but what kinds of cheese?
When I lived in Boulder, CO there was a place called (I think) "Chinese Dumpling House" and their dumplings were unlike any others I've had. Instead of the typical thin gyoza or eggroll wrapper, the dumplings were encased in a dough that was almost bread-like. It definitely was raised - either with yeast or baking powder - yet was a bit chewy. They were really good, and totally unlike any other dumplings I've had before or since.

I sure do love me some dumplings.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers
I don't mind, but I'll have to dig it up. I'm at work right now and don't normally carry my recipies with me.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinoneeye
I don't mind, but I'll have to dig it up. I'm at work right now and don't normally carry my recipies with me.
Really? Perish the thought......you need a laminated rolodex with you at all times!