Any ideas on part time work in Paris?

I’m moving to Paris on Wednesday, and I’m going to be looking for part time work. Anyone got any ideas? I’ve thought of tutoring english or even playing in bars (don’t know if it’s as lucrative over there as it can be over here…for a college student). I’ll be in Paris anywhere from 1 to 3 years, I think.

I’d love to do something journalism related also, but I just don’t know how to go about it.

ANY ideas would be welcome.

Thanks. Have a good one.

visit The American University in Paris… i’m sure you’ll get loads of good suggestions, advice, etc… you could also check into the tourist industry there, ask if any need an english-speaking tour operator.

good luck!

English teaching opportunities tend to die down over the summer and if you haven’t got an EFL or ESL teaching qualification* (which you don’t mention) - forget it (“Forget it” as in you will have a hard time finding work at any respectable language school but also as in “please forget it as untrained teachers give the profession a bad image”).

The tourist season is in full swing but if you’ve got good French too you might get lucky.

Your best bet would be bar work in the short term. There are plenty of bars and pubs around townw which cater for a mostly anglophone crowd. Have a look at this site, they should have the details of some of the bars.

A lot of bars have live music but the money isn’t good (eighty euro an absolute max with free drink), there’s a lot of people doing it but the ‘regular’ bands may be away over the summer so you could give those same expat bars a try.

Let us know if you want to see a friendly face when you get over here and maybe we could meet up.

*The AUP runs TEFL courses, if you are going to be here for 3 years you may want to think about investing in a teaching cert. Altho’ I hear bar work pays just as well and you don’t have to look smart :wink: