Ask the guy who just saw Goblet of Fire

It was amazing… in some ways the best yet. I’m still deciding whether I like this or Azkaban better as a whole.

Anyhow… this is the thread for anybody who can’t wait.

How long is the movie?

Dear Guy Who Just Saw Goblet of Fire:

My therapist says that I should establish firm boundaries with my mother and spend far less of my free time visiting her. It is very true that she depresses me and can be really obnoxious, but at the same time my sister reminds me that our mother can’t live that much longer and I should spend as much time as I reasonably can with her now or I’ll regret it later. Which point do you believe is more valid?

Mama’s Boy in Dixie

Oh, you mean ask you about the movie, my bad…

In that case, where did they make most of the plot cuts from the book? How much of the Quidditch game from the beginning is included?

I never had a care for Harry Potter until I was sitting around bored on afternoon and was browsing my roommate’s DVDs. I saw he had the first three movies, so over the next few days I watched them all. They got better and better, and ever since I’ve wanted more! I didn’t read The Goblet, but I read some movie reviews. Every critic was raving.

No questions for ya…I’ll just have to see this movie ASAP

I thought most of the cuts were reasonable, and I didn’t object to any of the departures from the book. There were even a few places where I wonder if Rowling is thinking, “Oh, I wish I’d thought of that.”

I did hear a couple of purists in the back row having a cow over a few cuts, though:

1. The Dursleys aren’t in this film.
  2. They don’t show the Quidditch match at all. Just the opening fireworks. Sorry, no veela.
  3. Dobby the house elf is completely eliminated. This means a couple of scenes had to work differently, but I thought they still worked.

I think it’s fair to say that everybody’s got a favorite scene from the book that isn’t in this, but (almost) everybody will be satisfied with the film anyway.

And Jurhael… it’s just under 2 1/2 hours long.

Were there any more masturbation jokes like the last movie?

There were a couple of really off-color remarks, but I don’t remember what they were. Damn, I’ll have to see it again.

You are going to have to remind me of the masturbation jokes in the third one. What were they?

Caught the midnight showing, along with Citzen Bob and gooftroopag (and BTW you two, the anticipated “love note” was in my mailbox when I got home!!). And now I’m here at work having had only two hours of sleep. :eek:

All in all, excellent movie. A bit uneven at times, with some parts getting played out a little too long and others getting short shrift. I didn’t think that the movie ended properly – it needed a darker tone and a bit of a cliffhanger like the book, but that’s a relatively minor nitpick (no pun intended).

Brendan Gleeson’s Mad-Eye Moody is a joy to watch. The kids continue to impress. Wish that Snape and McGonagall had had more to do. And Ralph Fiennes was superb.

That’s all my almost fried brain can think of to add right now. Back to the grindstone.

The very first scene. It’s night and the camera comes slowly down on Harry’s upstairs bedroom window. We can’t see or hear clearly what is going on as Harry is under his blanket, trying to get his wand to do something.

When we get in the room we can hear saying ‘Illuminus Maximus’, or something like that, and he is saying with greater urgency with each repetition.

His uncle open the door and Harry pops his head out and is very sweaty.

UD What’s going on in here?
HP Nothing! Nothing at all.
UD Well, go to bed.
That’s a masturbation joke.

How would it do for a five-year-old? She wants to go but these things are gettings scarier.

Another midnight showing here, and an IMAX one, too! :slight_smile:

I thought some parts were genuinely scary. The attack on the Quidditch World Cup, Harry’s dream sequence, and the entire maze sequence had me shaking.

How young would you say is too young for this film?

I have an 8yo daughter who will probably never speak to me again if I don’t take her.

I’m not sure. To me, it certainly earned the PG-13 rating. The last twenty minutes or so of the film are truly harrowing.

Agreed. It is definitely PG-13. A lot is going to depend on the maturity of your daughter. I know some 8 year olds who would be able to take this movie in stride, and other 8 year olds who would have nightmares for weeks.

As a parent, you may want to go to the movie yourself first, and then decide whether to take your daughter.

Did they airbrush out the cameltoe?

I’m going to take my almost 7 year old this evening (after the months of debate over Revenge of the Sith and the big anti-climax when he finally went, I’m not second guessing myself). I’ve warned him about Voldemort and what happens at the end. I’ll mention the maze and the attack on the Quidditch match. Anything else? Are the dragons scary? What about the underwater scenes? Did you see Revenge of the Sith and, if so, is this scarier or less scary?

I read a review yesterday, in which the reviewer indicates Harry’s Task in the Lake is to

rescue Hermione.

Not

Ron.

but

Hermione, fercryinoutloud.

While this represents a departure from the source, i’m not going to get up in arms about it.

But, if this change has been made,

whom does Viktor Krum rescue?

Kaylasdad99,

Harry is to rescue Ron, Krum is to rescue Hermione, Fleur is to rescue her younger sister, and Cedric is to rescue Cho