Dear edited for tv movies:

I understand there are certain words to can’t be said on tv so you have to edit them out.

-But FCOL! Just dub them out with silince as opposed to dubing over them with corny words such as “Scum bum” or “what the frog?”

Really, please just stop.
[Petty complaint, but it had to be said]

what the frog? LOL I like that! What are some other ones?

Heh, you know I was trying like hell to remember some more but I couldn’t. It would make for an intresting thread though. So if anybody knows of some they’d like to share please do.

“Airhead” for “asshole” makes the baby jeebus cry.

There’s “son of a biscuit!” or “hot dog! (god damn)” or my favorite for fuck you? “Forget you!”. Just doesn’t have the drama.

didn’t RepoMan use the word “melonfarmer” all the time? Or was that another movie?

“Flip you, melon farmer!” was decidedly from Repo Man. I noticed this when my father recorded over my tape of such and I had to get a new dub off of {shudder} network TV…

I just dated myself, didn’t I?

Oh well, now I have it on DVD in clerar, unedited pureness.
“Too late. You already are…”
{the words I hear but may not neccicsrily be spoken by HR drones when I get new jobs}

High Plains Drifter had a pretty good edit. In the original line, one of the townspeople comments that their sherrif is “about as much use as tits on a boar.” (Meaning that the sherrif is useless.) This got edited to “about as much use as boots on a boar.” I thought that was a pretty clever dub.

Unfortunately, the guy who said “boots” didn’t sound much like the guy in the movie, but still.

In Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing… they used “mickey fickey”. I still catch myself saying it when I’m around the nephew. = )

Freak you, man. FREAK YOU!

[Johnny Dangerously]You farging iceholes![/JD]

In Sylvester Stallone’s “Nighthawks,” there’s a scene in which Billy Dee Williams is negotiating with a terrorist (Rutger Hauer) who’s holding a bunch of hostages. Stallone is listening in. The dialogue SHOULD go something like this:

Williams: “I’ll trade myself for one of the hostages.”

Hauer. “Not you. I… want… that BASTARD!”

Williams: “What bastard?”

Stallone (to himself): “Me.”

On TV, the word they substitute for “bastard” is “Buzzard.” But what makes it hilarious is, the guy who says “buzzzard” sounds like the voice in that old Parkay margarine commercial. You know, where people open the Parkay lid and hear a little squeaky voice saying “butter”?

The bleeping/editing of cusswords I’m just about used to, but the chopped-up editing for commercials still gets me yelling at the tv - “What the hell?! It’s the middle of the scene, you corkstackers!”

Although watching some movies in their tv edit can be entertaining just because there is no way some movies should ever be played on anything but uncensored cable (“Pulp Fiction” comes to mind - I think the tv version is 20 minutes long. :smiley: )

I’ve posted before about this.

When I flew from Japan to China, my airline movie was “Sideways”.

Fuck became “Push”

Asshole became…“Ashcroft”

[Blues Brothers]
Well then, I guess you’re really up the creek.
[/Blues Brothers]

God, that one’s annoying.

Yippie-ki-yay, my friend

from Die Hard

Golly!

“Gimme my burger sandwich!”

“Fine, here’s your burger sandwich!”

“Get your burger hands off my burger sandwich, you mother burger!”

–Good Will Hunting

[Johnny Dangerously]
You fargin’ bastiches! You corksucking iceholes!
[/Johnny Dangerously]

Sorry, but you haven’t lived until you’ve seen the edited for TV version of the movie of the play by Mr. David “I I raised cussin’ to an art form” Mamet": “Glengarry Glen Ross”.

“Kiss my act, buddy! Just KISS MY ACT!!” </Jack Lennon>.