2006 Weight Loss Club - March

In an effort to keep this thread from growing too large, I have started the March version. Happy weight loss dopers! :slight_smile:

Well, it was a so so month for me. Was going through those ‘I can go off my diet just this once…’ things that turned into going off my diet for almost 2 weeks. On the plus side I did lose 3 pounds this month, so I’ve decided to celebrate that rather than berate myself for missing my goal.

Weight as of jan 1 - 187
weight as of feb 1 - 178
weight as of this morning - 175 for a total of 12 pounds in 2 months
target is 155, goal of june 1
goal for april 1 - 168

Russell

I keep forgetting to post to these. I have been losing weight this year though so I hope it’s not too late to join. I started at 200lbs in November when I started my new job. At the beginning of January, I was down about 10 lbs. I do remember that on February 15, I was down to 185. As of this morning, I’m down to 176. My ultimate goal is 125. I’m 5’2" and am not big boned. The last time I went to the doctor, my BMI was around 37.9. My goal so far is 10 lbs per month so I hope to reach my ultimate goal around July-September. I’m hoping that my boobs get much smaller by the time I reach my goal but I’m not holding my breath on that one. I think that if they were gonna shrink, they’d have started by now. I think they’re actually getting bigger.

I haven’t started and actual exercise plan because my new job has massive amounts of exercise. Work has been the main reason for my recent 24 lb loss. I am aware though that I’m actually gonna have to start exercising once my body adjusts to not sitting at a desk for 9 hours a day. I hope my body learns slowly. I hate exercising.

Cool.

So, I got on the scale last night, and I am down 5lbs (to 190).

I’ve been making it to the gym about twice a week, and have really been controling quantities of food (still eating the same stuff, but just making sure not to eat quite as much).

Considering this past month included two birthday dinners and two other celebrations that involved mass quantities of food, I’m pretty happy. I’d like to pick up the pace a little bit so I can hit my target before the summer ends. Each time I go to the gym I find I’m able to work quite a bit more, so maybe if I go one more time a week and really make sure I get a nice long work out, that’d help.

My weight has remained the same for the entire month of February much to my dismay.

So, my stats are 185.5/179/140 since I joined the club back in January.

March will be a better month for me. I’m determined. :mad:

Well, I had gotten down to 183 before Xmas, and then put on 10 lbs over the holidays.

I’ve massively cut down my smoking and now only smoke two cigs a day. Which means I have a LOT more energy than I used to, so with that combined with there still being daylight when I get home, my goal this month is to take a walk everyday after work.

Last fall once I started bringing my lunch to work most days, I steadily lost about 2 lbs a week. Now since I gained back what I lost plus quit smoking, it seems to be a lot harder to get those 10 lbs to budge. Could just be in my mind, though.

On the whole, I really am trying to change my lifestyle instead of dieting. I want to eat healthier and walk most days. That’s my goal today. I try not to think of how thin I would like to be, but I have to admit, I would really really like to be back at 128 lbs at some point in my life.

It’s time for me to get back on track. There are various reasons that contributed to me gaining back most of what I lost last year, but it all really boils down to a lack of commitment.

I don’t want to obsess over the scale. I’m 210-ish now, and I’m going to weigh myself at the end of each month, so I can see major trends.

Mostly I want to fit into my clothes better.

My other challenge is to go cold turkey on emotional eating. After thinking about it for some time, I’ve decided that means I don’t eat sweets or fried foods unless I’m out of the house with at least one other adult, or having guests over at our house. If I stick to that rule, I’ll avoid the solitary binges, trips to the drive-through with the baby in the car, and conspiratorial cookie fests with the husband at home.

I’ve finally got some backup plans for exercise, which I desperately needed. Until now, not being able to get to the gym derailed me completely. Now I’m testing out some different cardio and lifting videos that I can do at home while the kid sleeps, and I’ve mapped out a couple walks around the neighborhood I can do with her in the stroller. So my pledge is to do some form of exercise six days a week.

Hopefully if I stick with this, I’ll need to buy some new clothes by midsummer!

niblet head, Aeryn Sun – thanks for your posts – it’s good to be reminded that this is about being healthier overall, not just weighing X number of pounds. For me, the big lifestyle change is to stop with the thoughtless eating – having something because it’s the time I always snack, or because the food is there, and not because it, specifically, is what I want to eat at that particular time. (Someone brought in doughnuts the other day at work, and I didn’t have one – because I’d just eaten and I wasn’t hungry. Quelle concept!)

I’m up two pounds from last Friday but the 4.5 pounds I “lost” that week were helped in part by having weighed myself on an almost literally empty digestive tract so, more likely, I’m just plateauing again.

That said, my pants seem to be getting looser. I had to buy some new slacks about three weeks ago and while most of them were 40s, I also bought a couple 38s that fit a bit snugly. Wearing one of them today, they fit perfectly, though.

Also, I went to the Y tonight and I ran my very first mile ever. As in my life, not this diet.

1.15 miles in 15m30s at 4.5 MPH. I’m not sure how good that is when compared to people that’re actually in shape but I’m pleased, especially since I couldn’t even jog as of six months ago due to my left leg still healing from a break the year before.

Anyway:

Initial Weight: 360 lbs
Current Weight: 210 lbs
Goal Weight: 150 lbs

150 down; 60 to go.

OK, I haven’t weight myself in about a month because there was a stretch there when I was doing badly. Some of you may have noticed that I only reported that I was doing well each week on exercise, not on eating (until last week.)

I finally weighed myself this week - and of course, the worst was realised. I am up two pounds from the beginning of the year. :frowning:

But, I kept with my exercise and that is a good thing. And I’m back on track with my eating. I had another good week on both. AND I am seeing some *real *definition on my arms and shoulders. Due to my operation last year I can’t work out with weights as hard as I would want, but I am seeing real progress in my arms and shoulders with light weights and large repetitions. Also I am finding that I do not get winded going up the hill to get my mail anymore.

So all in all, I am please. I have to keep on working at the eating and continue the excercise. I have to be honest and say that I have not yet conquered the sugar habit, but I am much much improved. :slight_smile:

I lost the booze and too much food weight from last weekend. Small steps.

OK - check in time

180/167/155

BMI 26.93

two pounds - that’s more like it

I really had no intentions of making weight loss resolutions at the new year which is why I am humbly entering this thread a few months late. I definitely want to lose weight but I am putting the emphasis on being healthy. I am so tired when I get home from work and I’m sick of feeling winded after climbing the stairs to my 2nd floor office. I took the first positive steps and joined a gym near my work. I have been 4 times last week so far and I can already feel my body saying “thank you!!”.

175lbs/175lbs/154 lbs

11 stone isn’t “skinny” but i think it is a realistic and still healthy weight goal.

Welcome Mr. Jim! Any time is a good time to start getting healthier.
My weekly weigh-in:

This week -1; YTD -9.

So I’m pretty much hitting my target of 5 pounds a month.

Doing shitty on exercise – that will improve as the weather does, it’s been way too cold here (plus I’m doing a lot of late arrivals/early departures at work because of my job search, so I’ll just work through all day instead of taking a break to walk, which is dumb). Anyway, I need to now resolve to add a little more exercise to the mix.

I’m not weighing in each week, but I might as well check in on Sundays.

I’m doing OK, not great. But that is a start. And part of my challenge is not to think in all-or-nothing terms.

The good stuff is that I have avoided emotional eating, and I have cut back on my food intake in general. I’d like to keep within the Weight Watchers points for my weight each day, but if I don’t quite make that, I’m not going to freak out.

I also have been doing moderate exercise, which is an achievement since I’m still trying to get over a cold. But I think tomorrow I’ll head back to the gym. Then of course I’m having minor surgery on Friday, so I’ll be out of the exercise game for a few days, but maybe if I get there this week, it’ll help get me back on the horse when I recover.

So I guess my goals for this week are five days of exercise, and aiming for my points allowance. Of course I started today with a huge bagel with butter, but I suppose if I control portions and fat the rest of the day, I can squeak in under the wire.

Minus 19 today.

Thought about a membership to the Y? Mine’s pretty cheap at only $48 a month (with no contract) and has pretty good facilities. I’m enjoying my experience there as much as someone who is out of shape and hates exercise can.

If I had an extra $48 a month, I’d start taking tap dancing again. Ah well, hopefully the new job will loosen up the budget a bit.

I haven’t checked in since I posted in the original thread in January. Then I was at 272/226/160.

Today: 272/220/160.

Original BMI: 45.3
Current BMI: 36.2

I have officially lost 50lbs! I say “officially” because my max weight was about 272lbs, but when I actually began my diet and started weighing myself regularly I was 270lbs. So I’ve lost 50lbs since I started my diet, and roughly 52lbs from my max weight.

My weight loss has been continuing, but only very slowly since I started taking the birth control pill in November of 2005. It’s kind of wierd - looking at my graph of my weekly weight loss, you can instantly see where it leveled off within a week of starting the pill. And it wasn’t just a gain of 5lbs or so of “water weight” - it actually seems like my metabolism has slowed down. I still have the same calorie deficit each day (about 650-750kcal), but now that’s causing less weight loss than prior to starting the pill.

From April through October 2005 I was losing 1.3lb per week. From November 2005 to present I’ve lost 0.6lbs per week.

I’ve been trying to counteract this by being more consistent in my diet, and by doing more “incidental exercise” like walking at lunchtime, taking the stairs, walking up escalators, taking the long route to the photocopier/lunchroom, walking home after work (20 minute walk).

I also just moved into a new apartment last week, and it has a swimming pool. Now I have this dilemma which I like to call the “swimsuit paradox”. I’ve lost weight, but still not enough to feel comfortable being seen in a swimsuit. I used to love swimming when I was younger, and I’d like to start again. It’s also a great form of exercise.

So, is my motivation to swim strong enough to overpower my horror at the thought of wearing a swimsuit in public? Right now I’m thinking it’s not. I keep thinking - “maybe in another 10lbs”. But then again, once I get there will I be thinking “maybe in another 10lbs”?

Gah!

Grrrrr. One of my coworkers brought in a big package of Oreos and left them in the kitchen. Noisy fuckers – I can hear them calling me from two rooms away. “Twicks… twicks … here we are, twicks…”