The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-11-2006, 11:55 AM

Free gift if complete 10 offers - Anybody ver complete one and get the gift?

Like this page offers. Read the requirements (pop up window link) involved.

One time, I was stuck at home with the flu, and I decided to try out one of these types of foffers. Required completing only 4 offers. However, two of the four other sites required completing 3 of their own offers before having their original offer considered complete. And, yep you guessed it. Some of those offers required completing yet more offers!

So, in order to fulfill the original site's requirements, I would have to opt in to, subscribe to, apply for, sign up for, about 35 or so offers, some of which actually cost money up front. Needless to say, I'm guessing all these offers are merely fishing trips looking for new addresses and perhaps the occasional paying victim. Figures. TANSTAAFL

So, anyone here ever go all the way thru completing one and actually get the gift?

Or just discuss this type of marketing in general.
Advertisements  
Old 03-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I tried once. By the time I gave up, I forgot what I was trying to get for free. Each offer took me to more offers that I had to complete and I flat-out ran out of patience with the process.

On the plus side, I didn't noticed my spam increasing--but I was using an email that is spam central, so who knows if I would have noticed a difference anyway?

No free lunches indeed.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:32 AM

I came close to it for some site where you get a free $50 giftcard if you only complete ONE offer.

one of the choices was sign up and spend at least $10 on eBay. I did this.

I checked back on the website, and my gift was indeed approved (after about 8 weeks).

however-- I did not check back soon enough, for one must print out a certificate online and send it via snail-mail to a certain address within 30 days of approval.

HEY, at least they're paying me back with this wonderful lifetime supply of canned meat product. yesssssssssssssssssss
Old 03-12-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy
I'm guessing all these offers are merely fishing trips looking for new addresses and perhaps the occasional paying victim. Figures. TANSTAAFL
So, anyone here ever go all the way thru completing one and actually get the gift?
Or just discuss this type of marketing in general.
Sucker Bait.

"FREE" seldom means completely free!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:26 PM

I don't know about the particular site you've got linked, but sites like freeipods.com are apparently legit.

Cite