Let's create the official Straight Dope Mythology

so that centuries now our descendants can fight over it.

Simple rules:

1-Nobody can say anything to close the thread, such as but not limited to “And Wilford Brimley came along and created everything out of oatmeal. The End.”

2- No previously appearing gods or goddesses except in passing or as a point of reference. (i.e. you can say “and Zeus dropped in for tea and suggested an Oreo be given legs” or “as beautiful as Aphrodite” but no “and Zeus created a race of trolls from a large prickly pine”. Any majorly active deities must be created here (though you can use deities created by other posters).

3- As many deities as you like.

4- Let’s hold off on creating humans for the first few posts at least.

5- Feel free to leave your post open ended, build onto another’s post or write a totally self contained one.

I’ll start (obviously):
IN THE BINARY BEGINNING- before there was light or speech or thought, before the first OP was made or the wars in the heavens caused the first thread to be locked and its posters cast out, before anything (or perhaps after everything that went before disappeared)

there existed nothing but a colossal zero, that was but a concept, and then from its belly was born a 1, and 0 and 1 were the first two concepts. Now there are many tales and theories as to how the (clearly vaginal) 0 came to give birth to the (clearly phallic) 1 when there existed nothing else, and some will be posted soon.

And one more rule: when the Dopers are created, the tale of the ULTIMATE THREAD that was locked and may one day be opened again must be told.

I have a prediction that this will be a very short or very long thread. Currently I’m leaning towards the former.

It has been postulated by some that the Colossal Zero was invented as a means to explain what they did not understand. Those woh subscribe to this belief hold that the 0 and the 1 were spontaneously generated from the unknown.

Others, however, believe that 0 and 1 are too perfect to have been created by chance, thereby confirming the role of the Colossal Zero.

Finally, there are those who argue that, while 0 and 1 were creations and not a product of random chance, that the figure involved in this was not a mythical Colossal Zero, but by someone that can be identified. Dozens of men and women are proposed by this camp, but none hae received universal acceptance in this field.

And the One and the Zero created Light and Not-Light. And there was morning and evening upon the first day.

But there was Another abiding near 0 and the 1. It was called simply: 2. Now 2 felt it was greater than 0 and 1 combined, and it wished to rule over them supremely.

But 1 and 0 combined to make the Binary Two, and thus the ambitious 2 found itself matched.

Filled with wrath, 2 disappeared into the abyss to plot against the synergistic 1 & 0.

On the second day, the 0 and the 1 began to begat, and, lo, they created code.

I can’t wait for Og to make his appearance.

And Og said, Lo! Og smash and pronounce code should create mundane and pointless stuff I (great Og) must share. Og then pronounce there can be no second day but day 11. And there was evening and morning upon the 100st day.

But only once. For twenty minutes. In the year 11000101000101001010010110101011 (I’m guessing)

And who was Og? Some say that Og was the substance from which 0 and 1 and 2 arose, others that Og was the afterbirth from 1 that somehow became sentient and accidentally mated with the shadow of 0 and 1 and formed 2. Others claim that Og preexisted 0 and 1 and was the only thing left of the last great universe all collapsed into one, all powerful in the former universe but an alien in the new one. Og in human form once claimed to be a Canadian born Hollywood dwelling producer seeking somebody "exactly like you…only in " for a Rick Springfield video, but this was not until much much muc much much much much much later.

There is much debate as to Og was and where Og came from, but the most widely believed story is that Og…

SMASH!

…I just couldn’t resist…

So our universe is actually v2.0? Or 1.1? Or something?

And Og complained that the new universe had a worse interface and was loaded with bugs, and even worse, Og could no longer even get support for the old universe.

Then, in a moment of pure glory and ecstasy, there arose the one perfect being. The Master. And behold, it was Cecil. Or Ed.

Simultaneous to all of Og’s efforts, were the lesser known travails of Malus Sieversii. Malus’ universe was free of bugs and viruses, and all who encountered it had little or no difficulty interfacing with it. Malus was willing to compromise with Og, since Og’s universe was…

teh suxxxor!!!111. So, thus, Og made appear from the mist and mire a land known as “Alabama” from which arose the Garden of Weokahatchee…

[Quick question, whispered aside: Is Sampiro a god or a prophet?]

Actually, it was 11110101000. But since nitpickery doesn’t appear in the scriptures until after the exile of the Demigod-Demiprophet Sampiro from the Garden of Weokahatchee, I’m getting ahead of the story. Which of the scholars among us can pick up where swampbear left off?